Thoughts on Frankie Liriano

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
tybs

Thoughts on Frankie Liriano

#1 Post by tybs »

Looking for a SP upgrade in a 12 team, 5X5 roto league w/daily lineup changes. Liriano could join the Pirates starting rotation by the end of this week. His minor league rehab numbers have gotten better with each start and Searage seems to have a positive effect on most pitchers who come to Pittsburgh. Also, his injury was to his non-throwing arm. Any thoughts on his prospects for the remainder of the season? Colby Lewis is supposed to begin a rehab assignment shortly and could return by late May, but he's coming off of elbow surgery to his throwing arm. What about Lewis as opposed to Liriano? Are there any other SPs coming off injury who may join their teams rotations soon that anyone knows of? Beachy comes to mind, but I believe he's not expected back til around the AS break. Thanks for any advice/opinions.

Captain Hook

Re: Thoughts on Frankie Liriano

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

tybs wrote:Looking for a SP upgrade in a 12 team, 5X5 roto league w/daily lineup changes. Liriano could join the Pirates starting rotation by the end of this week. His minor league rehab numbers have gotten better with each start and Searage seems to have a positive effect on most pitchers who come to Pittsburgh. Also, his injury was to his non-throwing arm. Any thoughts on his prospects for the remainder of the season? Colby Lewis is supposed to begin a rehab assignment shortly and could return by late May, but he's coming off of elbow surgery to his throwing arm. What about Lewis as opposed to Liriano? Are there any other SPs coming off injury who may join their teams rotations soon that anyone knows of? Beachy comes to mind, but I believe he's not expected back til around the AS break. Thanks for any advice/opinions.
If I had to pick between Lewis and Liriano I would take Lewis - better team and head screwed on straight
Liriano is always high risk/some high rewards but you have more consistent results from Lewis
I like Beachy as well but .... not only does he have to get there at this point someone would have to lose a spot in the rotation or they will just be extra careful with him until needed.

This is a tough way to upgrade a pitching staff with all the unknowns.

Later in the year (read likely post ASB) you may see
Michael Pineda, NYY starting
Chris Carpenter, STL but now likely relieving if that
not sure when either of the KC rehabs will be available but I like Danny Duffy over Felipe Paulino