Angling for insight - Dee Gordon

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Angling for insight - Dee Gordon

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I'm trolling for opinions here ....doubt if many, if any facts will come to fore. Let's call it The Curious Case of Dee Gordon.

2012 - Starts year as starting Dodger SS. Gordon tears ligament in thumb - out from July 4th to Sept 11. On July 25th, Dodgers trade for Hanley Ramirez and install him as their starting third baseman. Takes them about a week to move him over to SS and put Luis Cruz as their new starting 3B. Cruz hits .297, Ramirez is a serviceable if not a spectacular SS - Gordon is on the outside looking in ...understandable.

2012 - off season - no major front office changes ...no managerial changes ... in other words, the group running things in 2013 will be the same that started off in 2012. In spring, plan is Hanley at SS, Cruz at 3rd, Gordon in AAA.

2013 - Hanley rips up thumb in WBC... will start season on DL. Dodger's solution? Install Justin Sellers at short, spell him with Uribe, let Cruz play 3rd - Gordon starts year in AAA. To date, Sellers is hitting .179 with a homer a RBI and 10Ks. He's also ranked 22nd in overall fielding by shortstops. Juan Uribe is yet to make an appearance at short in 2013. Luis Cruz is currently hitting .100 but is tied for 1st in 3B fielding overall (albeit with 8 other third basemen). Dee Gordon is currently hitting .317 with 7 RBI and 8 SB at AAA .... yet Dodger manager Don Mattingly states they have not considered recalling Gordon and that they are happy with Justin Sellers at short. This is the same Mattingly who made him his starting SS in 2012.

Now, consider they didn't trade Gordon in the off season when it was pretty obvious he wasn't in their immediate plans for 2013. And the same man who installed him as his starting SS last year now says he prefers Justin Sellers at short OVER Gordon and there is no consideration for a Gordon call up... something tells me that Gordon really pissed in someone's Cheerios and that he's being punished for something ... and for this extent? It must be more than just a minor infraction.

Any opinions or thoughts?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

Re: Angling for insight - Dee Gordon

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

The Dodgers still have high hopes for Gordon at the big league level but if what I gathered during spring training is correct they had always planned to start Hanley at SS and Cruz at 3B and start Gordon in the minors to work on his defense and maturity. We shall see but I would expect a callup later in the season depending on how all three players are doing.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:The Dodgers still have high hopes for Gordon at the big league level but if what I gathered during spring training is correct they had always planned to start Hanley at SS and Cruz at 3B and start Gordon in the minors to work on his defense and maturity. We shall see but I would expect a callup later in the season depending on how all three players are doing.
I understand the idea of a plan ....but doesn't even the best plan get tossed out when the entire left side of your IF is producing nothing with the bat (not to mention your stud CF) and one of them has played like a sieve defensively? Doesn't there come a time where you say we have to do something ...like now? ST was then ...this is now.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

And to date at AAA Albuquerque Gordon has already made three errors :o so how is he going to help improve the left side of their infield?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:And to date at AAA Albuquerque Gordon has already made three errors :o so how is he going to help improve the left side of their infield?
Let's just not look at half the picture, eh? That .179 batting average doing a lot for you? The Dodgers have 4 black holes in their offense right now - Sellers, Kemp, Cruz and the 9 hole. I'm just saying seems odd that Magic and crew spent all that money, they have an option available to them that was good enough for them at the start of the previous season, yet rather than turn to that option, they prefer to limp along with the ones they currently have in place?

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Good points and I am not a Dodger apologist - just relaying what I see or have been told ... there are lots of changes I would have made or not made with that club.

BUT if Matt Kemp were swinging the bat like Matt Kemp is supposed to be no one would be concerned with what the left side of the infield was doing offensively - well as long as they were playing good defense

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:Good points and I am not a Dodger apologist - just relaying what I see or have been told ... there are lots of changes I would have made or not made with that club.

BUT if Matt Kemp were swinging the bat like Matt Kemp is supposed to be no one would be concerned with what the left side of the infield was doing offensively - well as long as they were playing good defense
Fair comment ....thank you Captain.

pilots

#8 Post by pilots »

Along the lines of needing some MI help and some SB's, thoughts to when/if Jemile Weeks will get a call? NFBC 15 team, had room on the bench for a flyer, picked him up for a buck the week Sizemore tore the ACL.

thanks

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

pilots wrote:Along the lines of needing some MI help and some SB's, thoughts to when/if Jemile Weeks will get a call? NFBC 15 team, had room on the bench for a flyer, picked him up for a buck the week Sizemore tore the ACL.

thanks
Not for the foreseeable future. He's another one who's fallen off the scope for unknown reasons (well ...unless you want to count last year against him). But the A's (as well as myself) are expecting Adam Rosales back any minute and they seem to be happy with Sogard and Parrino for the moment. And I'm not sure if there were to be another MI injury that Weeks would get the call even then ...and if he did, wouldn't be surprised to seem him mostly ride the pine until others got healthy.

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

Agree that I don't expect to see Weeks anytime soon (barring him getting blazing hot and an injury opening a door)

Cut him and get someone that will help you

pilots

#11 Post by pilots »

good insight, thanks.

trying to position a bench spot for some potential sb help @ the MI, now or later. would allow for moving judy pierre to the bench for hr's from @ 5th OF spot.

rolling out MI of Andrus/Ackley/Crawford for now.

available someone's in FAAB usual list of nfbc leftovers, not a whole lot of full time ab's availalble. kozma, r. tejeda, escodozimon of the twinkies, etc... .

Captain Hook

#12 Post by Captain Hook »

Okay - Gordon on his way to LA
(will be interesting to see whether they play him at 2B or SS)