He's baaack.....well, not quite yet

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

He's baaack.....well, not quite yet

#1 Post by CubFan »

Tigers signed Valverde to a minor league deal. If he shows anything in AAA he'll be brought up. Question is, when he does come back "Do you feel lucky, punk?" I'll be spending some FAAB since I didn't spend for one in our auction. Most all other set-up RP are rostered so nothing out there to troll for.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: He's baaack.....well, not quite yet

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Your league allows FAAB on minor league players?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by CubFan »

No. But he will be up eventually as the bullpen by committee won't last.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:No. But he will be up eventually as the bullpen by committee won't last.
Maybe not so fast there, pard. This is a team that clearly didn't want him back .... so he insists on a May 5th opt out. To me, that gives the Tigers 30 days to find a solution ... it may be Benoit ...it may be Coke... it may be Rondon or someone else ... it doesn't necessarily have to be Valverde.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

I agree that all possibilities are in play
1) Valverde doesn't pitch well enough
1a) so he agrees to stay in Toledo
2) Valverde pitches well but Tigers decide against (but really then why would they have given him a chance - see below)
3) Valverde then signs with another team

But back to #2, he was throwing in the 90s for Tigers audition so they may have well decided it was worth a chance to see if he could recapture his prior form

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
CubFan wrote:No. But he will be up eventually as the bullpen by committee won't last.
Maybe not so fast there, pard. This is a team that clearly didn't want him back .... so he insists on a May 5th opt out. To me, that gives the Tigers 30 days to find a solution ... it may be Benoit ...it may be Coke... it may be Rondon or someone else ... it doesn't necessarily have to be Valverde.
No it doesn't have to be Valverde but these closer by committee experiments don't last long. I can't recall the last one that did unless we go back to the 70's and 80's. Yeah Benoit could but then why didn't he last year when Valverde was toast? Leyland says he isn't able to go back-to-back. Coke has a pronounced lefty/righty split (batting average of .263 vs .396) so IMO he is not the answer either. Maybe Rondon irons out his control. Maybe a trade. But if Valverde is brought up it won't be to sit on the bench and sharpen pencils.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:
No it doesn't have to be Valverde but these closer by committee experiments don't last long. I can't recall the last one that did unless we go back to the 70's and 80's. Yeah Benoit could but then why didn't he last year when Valverde was toast? Leyland says he isn't able to go back-to-back. Coke has a pronounced lefty/righty split (batting average of .263 vs .396) so IMO he is not the answer either. Maybe Rondon irons out his control. Maybe a trade. But if Valverde is brought up it won't be to sit on the bench and sharpen pencils.
I agree ...now if I could just get past that little IF thingy :lol: :lol: :lol: