Shallow league daily moves

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
SteveB
Major League All-Star

Shallow league daily moves

#1 Post by SteveB »

In a mixed league 10 man league with daily moves AND unlimited free agent pick ups. I am thinking about just making my last 10 picks my pitching staff and then rotating in on a daily basis who ever is not on a team and is pitching. Well ones that have upside anyways. How many moves would you need to make daily/weekly do you think to make up for the obvious shortage in talent your starting out with?

Just curious what people think about a set up like this?

AllstonRockCity

Re: Shallow league daily moves

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I played in a keeper league like this 5 years. 10 teams, daily FA moves, daily lineups, unlimited transactions, 1st come 1st served.

Your approach is 1 way to handle it, I would advise against it however. Believe it or not, I have found the opposite to be true. I have found that the shallower the league, the more attention you should pay to pitching. I feel like "only" leagues and 15 teamers are where the 70/30 $ split between hitting and pitching works best. In a 10 teamer, I like to make the split like 55/45 for the hitters just to see what kind of numbers I get for the pitchers. Those top Aces are all great picks early in this format. I'm rambling.....dahhhh

Starting over......

In a league this shallow there will be great hitters on the wire all the time. The whole "mining for pitching on the wire" thing really doesn't work as well in this format because the type of pitcher that emerges from the WW typically doesn't rise to the level of worthiness for a league this shallow. There will be teams in this league that trot out 2 Aces, 2 #2's and whole bunch of #3's. I don't want to try to tackle them with scraps, castoffs and 1st timers. I want to match their talent. I want a strong base in both hitting and pitching so that I can massage either (or both) via the WW and not just be forced into looking for pitchers all season.

I hope that made sense. Before coffee I'm never sure if the words I type match the thoughts in my head.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

SteveB wrote:In a mixed league 10 man league with daily moves AND unlimited free agent pick ups. I am thinking about just making my last 10 picks my pitching staff and then rotating in on a daily basis who ever is not on a team and is pitching. Well ones that have upside anyways. How many moves would you need to make daily/weekly do you think to make up for the obvious shortage in talent your starting out with?

Just curious what people think about a set up like this?
Sounds great on paper, we all think we're capable of doing it and winning but it reality we're not, unless we play in a yahoo league with a bunch of newbies.

There are three reasons.

The first is the flip side of this strategy is needing to sweep the hitting categories which has become increasingly difficult to do because of injuries.

The second is exactly what I have been harping on for the past couple of seasons -- fantasy players are better at identifying quality pitching so the supply of it is less while the demand is greater. This is not where you want to be looking for your players. Other owners, while not streaming to your extent, will be looking for fill in as well.

Third is the overall numbers you need to compete are better than in previous seasons and while I have not looked at this, I'm not sure the available free agents are relatively better which makes the job that much tougher.

With that out of the way, I admit it is fun to try. If you do, my suggestion is to have some Vinnie Pestano's and Koji Uehara's and David Robertson's there to build up a solid foundation to allow for some wiggle room.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

Is this an ESPN league with n 180 GS limit???

If so then I agree with Todd to try and get some good RP who can get you stats and give you extra innings. Still - I like to get at least Two "anchors" at the top of my rotation. And maybe one more solid SP3. Then I worry later on about those other 90 starts. Last year in a league like this I was in (12 teams) I was able to grab Latos and Peavy early on after someone else cut them. Added to my horses I had drafted and I had a nice rotation in this league.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by SteveB »

Its actually a CBSsportsline public league...
I have a few friends who asked me to join and they
didn't want to play in the type of leagues i normally play in.

SO i figured wth lets give it a shot.

So not too worried about draft coming up just have to switch my thinking a tiny bit
from all the NFBC stuff i have been drafting the last month. So i appreciate the comments from everyone.

Should be fun and i like that it is different.

S

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by SteveB »

AllstonRockCity wrote: The whole "mining for pitching on the wire" thing really doesn't work as well in this format because the type of pitcher that emerges from the WW typically doesn't rise to the level of worthiness for a league this shallow. There will be teams in this league that trot out 2 Aces, 2 #2's and whole bunch of #3's. I don't want to try to tackle them with scraps, castoffs and 1st timers.

The idea was not to try and have a staff as good as the other teams. Assume they have the nine on the team that are made up like you suggest. They are getting probaby 7-11 starts per week. With 2 start weeks and such probably as a team getting 10 starts per week. I would try and beat them with sheer numbers... getting say 25 starts a week. With 7 SP rotating and trying to get 3-4 starters per day. So 2 and half times the starters would be SWEEP 5 offensive, winning Ks, , winning WINS, with 2 closers added in, say middle of pack in saves. ERA and WHIP would be a crap shoot and is why middle relievers would help balance it out. So say 77-80 points. Lot of work, should be fun...my biggest concern is "sweeping offense" seems like margin for error on this is slimmer than i would like.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW, my comments assumed some level of an innings or start limit. If you don't care about ERA and WHIP, that's a horse of a different color.

BUT...

Be prepared for the league catching on and playing defense. If a player is dropped, can he picked up right away or is he is on waivers for a few days - cause I know what I would be doing if I was one of your competitors and there was a waiver period where he couldn't be picked up :)

That said the best thing I can suggest is switching out the pitchers for tomorrow as soon as they lock that day -- or else there is no way you get all the available guys.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#8 Post by AllstonRockCity »

SteveB wrote:
AllstonRockCity wrote: The whole "mining for pitching on the wire" thing really doesn't work as well in this format because the type of pitcher that emerges from the WW typically doesn't rise to the level of worthiness for a league this shallow. There will be teams in this league that trot out 2 Aces, 2 #2's and whole bunch of #3's. I don't want to try to tackle them with scraps, castoffs and 1st timers.

The idea was not to try and have a staff as good as the other teams. Assume they have the nine on the team that are made up like you suggest. They are getting probaby 7-11 starts per week. With 2 start weeks and such probably as a team getting 10 starts per week. I would try and beat them with sheer numbers... getting say 25 starts a week. With 7 SP rotating and trying to get 3-4 starters per day. So 2 and half times the starters would be SWEEP 5 offensive, winning Ks, , winning WINS, with 2 closers added in, say middle of pack in saves. ERA and WHIP would be a crap shoot and is why middle relievers would help balance it out. So say 77-80 points. Lot of work, should be fun...my biggest concern is "sweeping offense" seems like margin for error on this is slimmer than i would like.
If it is a daily league, why would you assume that your league-mates are going to "set it and forget it" when it comes to their lineups? They're not. They will be streaming just as much as you. Sure, they won't have as many roster spots to turn over, but they will stream as much as their roster allows. Whenever 1 of their Aces has the day off, they can always start some guy they just picked up. You won't be able to double up on the amount of starts they accrue. You need a solid anchor of at least 4 guys you can count on. Even then, 2 will probably get injured at some point.

The teams that won this league each year had squads that were top 2 or top3 in all 10 categories, that's how you need to do it to cash.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by SteveB »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
SteveB wrote:
AllstonRockCity wrote:
If it is a daily league, why would you assume that your league-mates are going to "set it and forget it" when it comes to their lineups? They're not. They will be streaming just as much as you. Sure, they won't have as many roster spots to turn over, but they will stream as much as their roster allows.

yeah that ius true that they will stream as much as they can but if your invested in a few higher draft picks then you never drop them from your roster so streaming is limited to a degree.

But no matter i decided to at least play the draft straight up and see what happen...

I had the 10th pick and here is the team i ended up with

C-M.Montero
c-Mike Zunnio
1B-Paul Goldscmidt
2B-Dan Uggla
3B-Kyle Seager
SS-Jimmy Rollins
MI-Hanley Ramariz
CI-Paul Konerko
OF-Jose Baustista
Of-Andrew McCutchen
OF-Curtis Granderson
OF-Shin Choo choo
Of-BJ Upton
UT-Kendry Morales
P-Wainwright
p-Darvish
p-Josh Johnson
p-Homer Bailey
p-Matt Latos
p-Hyun Jin Ryu (thanks Perry)
p-Sergio Romo
p-Brian Wilson
p-Bobby Parnell
RS--Mike Young
RS--Daniel Murphy
RS--Alexei Ramirez
RS-A. Cashner
RS-H.Iwakuma
RS-Kenley Jensen
no minors and no IR so to get someone you have to drop someone.

So i am very light in saves but within this league there is
5 owners with up to 2 closers, 2 with 3 closers, 1 with four, and 1 who took 8 closers and a set up man. So i can compete by hitting waiver wire and i know a lot of undrafted saves will be freed up come opening day. The main problem is the guy who went all closers was right before me in draft order and kept taking players i had qued up. Even had Fujikawa ready to go in the 27th and he snagged him as his last reliever. I do like my offense and can move around between 1B, OF, SS, and 3B to get as many starters in teh lineup everyday. Zunnio was my last pick in the draft so will replace him if he gets sent down. I just figured he was a higher upside pick than Castro, Flowers, etc still left on the waiver wire. I was all set to take Brantley and two picks before my turn a guy drafted a 3rd catcher. So will likely be streaming 2-3 of these spots with starters once things get set a little better.