What player is #1 target this year?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Wuzzles

What player is #1 target this year?

#1 Post by Wuzzles »

Every year I always have a couple of players that I want and will reach for them. Last year it was Freddy Freeman and Corey Lubke. Have not zeroed in on anyone yet for this year.

Captain Hook

Re: What player is #1 target this year?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Again very league dependent PLUS personal view... but

The top three in all mixed league drafts this year in some order are
Ryan Braun, Miguel Cabrera, and Mike Trout

Depends too on whether keeper league or redraft
Clearly in keeper leagues I think the top choices would be
AL - Mike Trout
NL - Bryce Harper

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Agree with Perry's list of the top guys.

If you are looking for some "breakout" candidates- guys who will be hotly pursued in the middle of drafts, so to get them you may have to move them up a couple rounds - I will list one of my mid-round targets so far this year. Please note this comes from 15 team leagues - if you play in shallower formats - you may not have to chase them as hard.

Josh Rutledge, SS, COL - Rutledge is becoming a hot property due mainly to his position and where/when he comes into the conversation in drafts. He projects as a 15/15 SS, with upside for more production. He also will play 2B, so he will gain dual eligibility fairly quickly. Both SS and 2B are fairly top-heavy this year, so Rutledge makes a good mid-round target to fill one of these positions.

That's one - I am sure others have more names to add to this.

Do you have anyone you are thinking about. If you do you could ask us what we think of them and you could get some feedback on guys on your radar.

Wuzzles

#4 Post by Wuzzles »

I am thinking Cameron Maybin, Homer Bailey, and Desmond Jennings. I think they all have very nice years for where you get them.

deansdaddy

#5 Post by deansdaddy »

I don't really see the need to reach for Jennings. He seems to come into the conversation about the right time, and at that point there are plenty of other options if I miss on him.

Maybin - no way am I chasing him or reaching to get him on my team. That doesn't mean I won't draft him, I already have, it's just I view him the opposite way, as a player I want to fall to me.

I think the player you will get the most support on from the community here is Homer Bailey. I think he definitely qualifies as a player to not only target, but perhaps pull the trigger on a round early if need be.