BANZAI draft strategy

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
TruffleShuffle

BANZAI draft strategy

#1 Post by TruffleShuffle »

I'm playing in a KDS (Kentucky Derby Style) "banzai" draft (aka 3rd round flip) for the first time and curious to get input on draft strategy.

Recognizing that the point of the "banzai" draft is to eliminate pick advantages based on snake draft slotting, I still think there are advantages to be gained based on player nuances (ie if there is a big value disparity between players 1-3 (1st tier) and the 2nd tier).

Since I get to pick my draft slot, given my below league parameters, would I be best targeting the 1st pick (so I get my choice of MCab, Braun, Trout)? Or am I better off targeting a late round pick, hoping that value slips to me in the first round and then I get slotting advantage in rounds 2-4?

Curious to get everyone's thoughts. Specifically, if I go with the first pick, which of those big 3 would you target?

Thanks!

Below are the particulars on my league categories:

11-teams

"Banzai"
r1: 1-11
r2: 11-1
r3: 11-1
r4: 11-1
r5: 1-11
r6-24 normal snake

6x6
- Hitting: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
- Pitching: QS, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

Positions:
C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3x OF, 2x UT
9x Pitchers, 1250 IP limit

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: BANZAI draft strategy

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It hs been shown that this sort of adjustment is not necessary in fantasy baseball to even the playing field, and certainly not to the extent of your setup.

So, I would still want Braun or Cabrera, after that I want as late as possible to take advantage of the reversal.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

TruffleShuffle

#3 Post by TruffleShuffle »

Thanks for the quick feedback, Todd!

The first two draft slots have already been selected (they picked 6 and 11), so 1-5 and 7-10 are still avail and it's my pick.

In year's past, I've typically focused on position scarcity early in the draft. So if I followed this approach, I'd go MCab with the first pick. However, I recently read an article that suggested that with my league format (which doesn't include MI, CI slots), that position scarcity is over-rated and instead with essentially 5x OF slots (3x OF, 2x UT), that OF is the position that I should target early.

Assuming I go with the #1 pick, do you have thoughts on position priority with the first pick?

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

1) that is NOT Bonzai
which would be
1-11
11-1
11-1 for the rest of the draft

2) First pick is NOT about position - take the player YOU think will have best stats for the year AND that
YOU want to root for ............ in mixed league $ drafts this year the top three have been
Braun
Cabrera
Trout
not always in that order but majority take Braun for demonstrated production over many years plus the SB to accompany HR