Braun WINS appeal

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Braun WINS appeal

#1 Post by viper »

unreal
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Re: Braun WINS appeal

#2 Post by Black Sox »

If the syringe doesn't fit, you ,must acquit!!

That's great news, it's nice to have someone claim to be innocent and be telling the truth!
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Actually, this is the worst possible news for all involved;
  • MLB and their crack testing procedure gets derailed by the FedEx guy? Wonder how long it will be before Manny is asking who delivered HIS sample?
  • Unfortunately, this doesn't exonerate Braun entirely - it just overturns his suspension. He was originally denying it all over ...now it's a procedural issue. His next test outta be very interesting.
  • Bud and his boys will now have to revisit his procedure and see if this happened anywhere else ...and then he has to come up with a solution.
  • Screaming about Das' ruling does no good - even I know about chain of custody - MLB blew it.
This is not a good day for MLB.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

Kid is right - Braun get to play- but he doesn't get away totally clean.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by SteveB »

so bring back to the realm of fantasy ...IF he was juicing , IS he now? Does that affect anyones projections for him in 2012?

Milnertime

#6 Post by Milnertime »

I'm a Cubs fan who thinks Braun is about the biggest douche on the planet, but this ruling does not surprise me or upset me.

It's not good for the game for the MVP to get busted for PEDs.

One thing that I think a lot of people aren't realizing is that we never would have even heard Braun tested positive if the rules of the procedure were followed. The information was leaked in the first place. People say this is the first time anyone's had a positive test overruled. Well, we don't really know because if someone had a test overruled we never would have heard about the positive test in the first place.

Mickey4081

#7 Post by Mickey4081 »

Oh how I can't wait for opposing fans holding up signs. It will be an interesting season for Mr. Braun even though he escaped his suspension.

captgus
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by captgus »

Milnertime wrote:I'm a Cubs fan who thinks Braun is about the biggest douche on the planet, but this ruling does not surprise me or upset me.
I know, could you imagine if his bat broke during an at bat and out popped a bunch of cork?
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

capt2stu
Major Leaguer

#9 Post by capt2stu »

Happy to see it get overturned. Personally I could care less who is juicing, and there is no way to know who was and wasn't in the past. My son was a strength and conditioning coach several years ago for a AA team and said a lot on the team were - and more pitchers than hitters.

I am more concerned with other crimes players commit that effect moe than themselves. How about a DUI, ynk the penalty should be more than juicing.

Stu
15 team 5x5 Mixed Roto
Draft 3/18/18

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

capt2stu wrote:Happy to see it get overturned. Personally I could care less who is juicing, and there is no way to know who was and wasn't in the past. My son was a strength and conditioning coach several years ago for a AA team and said a lot on the team were - and more pitchers than hitters.

I am more concerned with other crimes players commit that effect moe than themselves. How about a DUI, ynk the penalty should be more than juicing.

Stu
I disagree .... players don't commit offenses such as DUI's - people do. Such offenses are not baseball related - we have laws to take care of those cases. Players that juice -that is affecting their job performance and is defrauding the paying public.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

AllstonRockCity

#11 Post by AllstonRockCity »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
capt2stu wrote:Happy to see it get overturned. Personally I could care less who is juicing, and there is no way to know who was and wasn't in the past. My son was a strength and conditioning coach several years ago for a AA team and said a lot on the team were - and more pitchers than hitters.

Stu
I disagree .... players don't commit offenses such as DUI's - people do. Such offenses are not baseball related - we have laws to take care of those cases. Players that juice -that is affecting their job performance and is defrauding the paying public.
Well, technically anabolic steroids are a federally controlled substance, so they are breaking those 'people' laws as well.

Mickey4081

#12 Post by Mickey4081 »

Stu
Sure there is....I don't need a lab test for me to know that Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Caminiti and many many others were juicing. I just know. I don't care whether they are were or not....just that I care when the players outright lie about it...that's what's so entertaining at least for me.

Regarding Ken Caminiti-

In a Sports Illustrated cover story in 2002, a year after his retirement, he admitted that he had used steroids during his 1996 MVP season, and for several seasons afterwards.[5] His admitted steroid abuse was discussed in the 2007 Mitchell Report on steroid abuse in baseball.[

-There you go, so, we do know.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:

Stu
Well, technically anabolic steroids are a federally controlled substance, so they are breaking those 'people' laws as well.
Get back to me when you hear about a DUI for steroid arrest. :D (Normally wouldn't respond but how often do I get to make a Leap Day post? :D :D )

AllstonRockCity

#14 Post by AllstonRockCity »

da_big_kid_94 wrote: Get back to me when you hear about a DUI for steroid arrest. :D (Normally wouldn't respond but how often do I get to make a Leap Day post? :D :D )
Ha! :lol: I like it.

And a happy Leap Day to you as well.

But you just hit on, for me, what has been THE most overlooked and underreported aspect of this whole steroids thing that has been going on for almost a decade now. And that is, STEROIDS ARE ILLEGAL.

Other than the BALCO investigation itself, no one has been prosecuted on the actual drug charges. Since 1972 its been illegal for anabolic steroids to be used in this fashion and we know about all these people using them, but you never hear about the users or the suppliers being charged. I understand why MLB needs to have rules about steroids, but really they don't, because in reality there are already rules about them, they can be found in the Controlled Substances Act of 1972 (thanks Nixon). More people have been charged with perjury and obstruction of justice than have been charged with distributing/diverting/possessing.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

SteveB wrote:so bring back to the realm of fantasy ...IF he was juicing , IS he now? Does that affect anyones projections for him in 2012?
eeeeeehhhhhhhhh ......... could be.

Trav The Ump

#16 Post by Trav The Ump »

So my real life analysis says, that by being the first guy to go he hopes a.) the other suspensions will sort of wash away his in the mix b.) the Brew Crew was done anyways why waste next year c.) His non-chalant not really apology is disturbing to me.

Seems so callous but I felt like he just sorta said, you caught me...I'll try and not get caught next time.

Oh well I'm AL only and a Jhonny Peralta owner, (who had a brutal game last night), so here's hoping the dagger hanging over his head doesn't throw him off too much.

What are everyone's thoughts on Colon/ Melky? Would they get re-suspended or do we think this is a separate and second incident?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Trav The Ump wrote:So my real life analysis says, that by being the first guy to go he hopes a.) the other suspensions will sort of wash away his in the mix b.) the Brew Crew was done anyways why waste next year c.) His non-chalant not really apology is disturbing to me.

Seems so callous but I felt like he just sorta said, you caught me...I'll try and not get caught next time.

Oh well I'm AL only and a Jhonny Peralta owner, (who had a brutal game last night), so here's hoping the dagger hanging over his head doesn't throw him off too much.

What are everyone's thoughts on Colon/ Melky? Would they get re-suspended or do we think this is a separate and second incident?
They both have to be looking at a hundred plus. i think Braun works against any sort of appeal they can muster - especially when A-Rod's A-Bomb comes down. Logic says : "If we can suspend a former MVP and the highest paid player in the game, what does that say about your two futures?" And it'll will be interesting to see how many other players will the MLBPA walk away from.

Captain Hook

#18 Post by Captain Hook »

I tend to disagree because with Braun there *wasn't* a failed drug test - basically he negotiated the ROY suspension without having to admit anything. BUT with Colon and Melky they were suspended for 50 games last year and I think could certainly make the case that IF there was BioGenesis evidence against them it was for drugs that they had already been suspended for - and they are both old enough that they can't start over (again) and would likely appeal so they could at least play out the balance of this year.

But who really knows? We shall see