Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/functions_content.php on line 661

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/functions_content.php on line 661

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3729: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3731: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3732: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3733: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Mastersball Fantasy Forum • View topic - Top 12

Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top 12
PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 7:52 pm 
Major League All-Star

Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix
:lol: oh ok I guess I'm making your point ( that's pretty funny )

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 7:58 pm 
Hall of Famer

15 team league from the 2 hole

1.02 Braun
2.29 J Upton
3.32 Ellsbury

I'll probably write this one up from a strategic standpoint so I'll save the rest.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 8:08 pm 
Major League All-Star

Well your certainly not playing it safe. Not sure I would have gone Upton there but if he rebounds wow that's quite a lot of counting stats you rostered early! Not sure why I'm not as high on Upton rebounding ( going into last year I thought he'd return 1st round value ) yet I plan on being all over Ellsbury Hosmer Lowrie etc.

You've also shown me the light in reguards to position scarcity and I won't hesitate to go OF OF OF if the board falls that way, where in past years I'd never consider it.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 8:16 pm 
Hall of Famer

that'll be part of the discussion

My C/IF is Yadier, Konerko, Phillips, Alexei Ramirez and Moustakas so I don't feel as though I have given anything back there (as well as balancing the risk with the safe but boring Konerko/Phillips/Alexei.

We're only in R12 so still a ways to go -- the pitching will be weaker than usual (by design).

I expect either the MI or CI to be very weak but we'll see.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 8:26 pm 
Major League All-Star

Well at least you got Phillips :lol: Ever considered what you'll do when he retires :o

What does your staff look like?

Also I've heard you reccomend you roster 24 P in this format, what's the breakdown of SP vs RP ? also are you rostering MR or is the focus on SP & Closers? Is your starting line up most weeks a 7/2 split and are you streaming one of your SP spots?

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 8:36 pm 
Hall of Famer

This is not an NFBC Draft Champions (formerly slow draft). Uses once a week moves with FAAB.

Zimmermann, Cueto, John Johnson, Parker and Holland -- nice ratios but low on K's so I'll need to stream well.

I'd want at least 18 starting pitchers in NFBC-DC format. Then 2 "safe" closers, 2 solid MR and 2 speculative closers with 2 wild card spots.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 8:49 am 
Hall of Famer

Black Sox wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:
Top 12 from JBL draft that Todd and I wrote up earlier
R. Braun
M. Cabrera
Trout
Cano
McCutchen
Pujols
Fielder
Kemp
Bautista
C. Gonzalez
Votto
Longoria

I'd want no part of mccutchen or longoria as a 1st round pick. Bautista is a tough one since there is a real chance his wrist injury could sap some of his power or worse. If he's slow out of the gate and lets say puts up .280 29 90 90 or so he's no longer a 1st round pick ( really you just drafted Holliday in rd 1 ). I was surprised that the projections here were bullish on him returning to pre injury production. The fact he is still not at full strength is skipping the WBC, makes me little nervous.

With the ginormous caveat that I have not yet really begun my prep for the season and am going strictly off of my ever diminishing memory/expanding gut, I have to agree with this statement.

Now, maybe the reason Longo makes the top 12 is purely be default (no one else is good enough), and that's all well and good. But I can not get behind him as a 1st rounder based on his own merits. I'm fairly certain that Longo is about to break some sort of record for the player that's been drafted in the 1st the most times, yet has NEVER returned 1st round value.

Same song and dance every year with this guy (who BTW is 1 of my favorite players).......excuses X, Y & Z as to why he didn't put up 1st round numbers the year before. But reasons A, B & C as to why he will this year.

Do I think he is talented enough to put up top 12 numbers? Abso-friggin-lutely. However, until he actually does it, I'm passing in the 1st and maybe even the 1st half of the 2nd.

His backers kinda remind me of Sox fans pre 2004.....Wait til next year, it'll be our year

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 10:29 am 
Hall of Famer

McCutchen scares me. I've taken him a few times in the 5/6 spot and I hate it.

Assuming someone takes Trout in the top-3, I am fine with Cano at 4 so I'm comfortable in the top-4 (I would take Cano 3rd).

After that, I HATE it. I'd rather pick last in the round.

If you separate the players into high upside but risky and lower ceiling but safe, I have Cutch at the top of the former with Albert and Prince at the top of the latter.

When push comes to shove in March, I'm not sure which way I would go -- right now I'm taking Cutch because to me the risk is the batting average, the counting stats will be there and there are some 1B I want to get later.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 12:11 pm 
Major League All-Star

Todd Wouldn't the pick then at 5/6 be Cargo or Kemp?

Cargo just seems more stable and I feel like his upside is the same as McCutchen. Cargo does get nicked up but he put up similar numbers to McCutchen with less games played. For my money I'd also rather a Rockie vs Pirate.

I'm a little scared by Kemp this year because I'm afraid he won't run to lessen injury ( a la N.Cruz ) but even without the elite SB he's still a better pick than McCutchen in my mind

From what I can tell you'd really prefer to get that HR/SB combo early ( as would I ) however I'm coming to the realization that at that point if lets say the agreed top 4 are off the board + Cargo/Kemp I'm thinking of going 1B and nabbing Votto, Pujols or Fielder.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 1:07 pm 
Hall of Famer
I think the doubts on McCutchen are unfounded at least as it relates to total value - Yes his BAvg rates to regress but even in the 290s his overall contributions should return first round value

Note that in his first four years in the major leagues, his R, RBI and HR have ALL increased each year .... and he is still only 26 and headed into his "prime years"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next