Mike Napoli a Red Sox

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Mike Napoli a Red Sox

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

It's my understanding that the concern is more long term than short term for Napoli, and I think the fact he accepted a base of $5MIL with escalations to $13MIL suggest he feels he can stay on the field, so right now he's getting about 560 PA, 480 AB.

This is of course subject to change depending on what happens this spring.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#12 Post by daweasle »

whammer wrote:Any thoughts on expected Napoli PA's - assuming he is everyday 1B do we see 550 PA's?

Assuming he gets 550, where would he rank among AL 1B's - better option Morales? Mourneau? Lind?
The thing is - it doesn't matter where he ranks compared to other first baseman.
It matters where he ranks compared to other catchers where he still qualifies for 2013.
I THINK - he could be top 2-3 catcher, ahead of everyone but buster posey and ?? whatever random breakout/rebound guy (my prediction - victor Martinez)

funny thing is though - he only has one monster season (2011) and then a bunch of solid but never great seasons. he usually bats 240 - with 20 HR now u give him an extra 100 ABs maybe he can be counted on FOR 27-29 HR
but if he hits 28 HR and bats 240 - has he really helped you much?

guess it depends on his other counting stats and whether you plugged him in at catcher or somewhere else

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Easy now -- there is no one size fits all rule book. Some leagues only allow eligibility where the player is expected to play the upcoming season.

and, he usually hits .260 (career average .261)
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord