Olt, Thames, Valencia, Mcgehee ROS

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Olt, Thames, Valencia, Mcgehee ROS

#1 Post by CubFan »

Was very surprised to see Olt get called up before the September expansion of rosters. I'm starting to sweat a bit as I've got the underperforming Mike Young and wonder if he's going to lose some pt.

I'm looking at dropping Nix as his pt appears to be at risk with McGehee being added. So, rank the above as who puts up the best numbers ROS. I'm also considering dropping Travis Snider (my UT) but wonder if he'll put up better numbers than any of the above options as PIT has him hitting 2nd against RHers and 5th against LHers.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Olt, Thames, Valencia, Mcgehee ROS

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

OK ...deep breath. Yes , Olt got called up ...but let's look at some things;
  • He's done absolutely zip at this level - for all we know, he's Chris Davis redux
  • This is a veteran, two time defending AL championship team. Is he gonna play 3rd? Nah. 1st - Might get some ABs in place of Moreland. DH - give Young a day off or two? I can see that - but he's not going to totally replace a 12 year veteran on this team - especially this veteran. I see him being a very much needed bat off the bench who gets maybe one or two starts a week. but handed a job right away? Nope.
  • This guy is just out of AA - and he smacks of Anthony Rizzo last year - like, maybe called up a little too soon?
You don't want Thames - he was bad enough in a hitter's environment. And you REALLY don't want McGehee or Valencia - especially Valencia. I see no reason you shouldn't hold on to Snider. You yourself said it ...regular AB's on a winning team so far.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:OK ...deep breath. Yes , Olt got called up ...but let's look at some things;
  • He's done absolutely zip at this level - for all we know, he's Chris Davis redux
  • This is a veteran, two time defending AL championship team. Is he gonna play 3rd? Nah. 1st - Might get some ABs in place of Moreland. DH - give Young a day off or two? I can see that - but he's not going to totally replace a 12 year veteran on this team - especially this veteran. I see him being a very much needed bat off the bench who gets maybe one or two starts a week. but handed a job right away? Nope.
  • This guy is just out of AA - and he smacks of Anthony Rizzo last year - like, maybe called up a little too soon?
kid.....I can't disagree with what you said as I kind of thought the same but then I ask myself why would they bring him up so soon if not to play him more than once or twice/week. IMO players of his ability need to play FT.

Do you think any of these guys are better than Nix....who I was originally planning on dropping this Sunday.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Snider beats Nix seven ways to Sunday - the rest are all cannon fodder....especially Valencia, a Mendoza line candidate.

As to why they would bring him up .... two words .... pennant chase. And after I read Ryan's latest blog entry just now, I was wondering if he saw my post because he and I seem to share the same views.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by CubFan »

kid.....I already have Snider. Was just thinking of dropping him if it looked like the others were going to produce more. Nix was the guy I was planning on dropping.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

I would drop Nix for Olt or Thames - for upside as each of those could get more AB than Nix going forward

Does NOT mean I think Olt will - I think he will get some AB at 1B against LHP; some much fewer starts at 3B for Beltre day off or when Adrian DH's

I don't see Thames will full time play right now but it could happen

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I could see going after Thames if you could find the courage to just look at last season. But if you look at any part of his 2012 season, you should run far away from him ..especially in Safeco.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:I could see going after Thames if you could find the courage to just look at last season. But if you look at any part of his 2012 season, you should run far away from him ..especially in Safeco.
I read an interesting piece the other day that says Safeco does not have as much effect on lefties so it shouldn't affect Thames as much as one might have expected. Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers to back up what that author threw out. All that being said, I've realized due to my roster flexibility I would have to drop an OFer to pick up Thames and since I'm playing for this year I think Snider is a better bet for ROY.

Dropping Nix my options are Olt, Pennington, Valencia, McGehee. With Plouffe soon coming off the DL he will need to impress right off the bat in order to get more pt. And nothing says I can't stay pat.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Then I'd take the shot wit Olt ...cause if you don't ...someone else will. and the options you listed aren't pretty ...including Nix.