Rating Pitching Staffs maybe with a bit of bias

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Rating Pitching Staffs maybe with a bit of bias

#1 Post by viper »

As a Nats fan, it is hard for my to really grasp just how good the Nats are. Living through two consecutive season of being the worst team in baseball and, during that span, not really having a single pitcher you would rate as being even a #3 starter on any contender, this season is surreal. Now their staff is really really good. But where does it rate especially given the recent Greinke trade to the Angels.

Who has the best current five man staff [count Strasburg]? Rate the top 3. My personal take is that the Nats have the best 5-man staff mostly because, at least this season, Jackson & Detweiller are well above pretty much any other #4/#5 SPs.

Who has the best 3-man playoff staff [do not count Strasburg]? Rate the top 3. With Strasburg, I would rate the Nats as #1 but without him I'm not sure how far they drop. I think you can make a case than Strasburg, Gonzalez & Zimermann are all #1 skilled SPs. I'm not sure any other team's top three can make that claim.

The board is a bit quite so I thought I would ask a real baseball question.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

Re: Rating Pitching Staffs maybe with a bit of bias

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well you have to weigh the Angels now with Wilson, Haren, Weaver, and Greinke - I don't care who fills the fifth slot that is one of the very best rotations.

In the playoffs it has an advantage as well as you want to pitch all four and don't need to short anyone on rest