Jim Thome - Worth the FAAB Bid?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Trav The Ump

Jim Thome - Worth the FAAB Bid?

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

AL only, I'd be putting him in for Casey Kotchman. I'm guessing I'm going to have to bid $11-$12 to get him of my $100, this would more or less put me out of any bidding for any "stars" at the deadline but an extra month of stats from Thome may be worth it.

No penalty for bidding etc, its just Kotchman vs Thome and make sure I bid enough to get him.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Jim Thome - Worth the FAAB Bid?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

You obviously know your league ...but how many of them really need a 1B? I would bid on Thome because it's Baltimore, it's Buck and he's going to be a hell of an influence on those guys. But unless someone needs a 1B desperately (save you, Trav), I can't see him going double digits.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#3 Post by CubFan »

Has he played enough games at 1B to qualify for your league? In ours he can only fill the UT slot. I figure someone in our league will bid double digits for him. Adam Lind is also available this week as his previous owner dropped him when he was sent to the minors. Ooops. I figure he'll go for $15+
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

special k
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by special k »

"its just Kotchman vs Thome"

Not a tough call, imho. Especially if you need a little thump and you're in a close race, I'd do it. Who knows if you win a later bidding war, too?

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

I would definitely try for the upgrade from Kotchman > Thome

He should be the (almost) everyday DH for the Orioles

Trav The Ump

#6 Post by Trav The Ump »

Vickary system so I get him for $1 more than bid #2

He is DH only which is currently M. Young who qualifies at first which means I can put Thome at DH (we have DH and not Util)

I think I'm going to bid $12 to hopefully get him and if not at least make him pricey enough for someone else to have to pay $13.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#7 Post by CubFan »

FWIW dept. - he went unclaimed in our league!!!!! Due to family stuff I was unable to place a claim in for him on Sunday (I typically wait till late Sunday to see what teams do). Although several owners put bids in for him they got other players they wanted more, like Lind for $12. Highest bid I saw for Thome was $4. I'll put in for him next week but I'm sure he'll go for more.

Trav, did you get Thome?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Trav The Ump

#8 Post by Trav The Ump »

Team that got him bid $20 and got him for $13 as I bid $12. Last place team bid $5.

What can you do? Now I guess I hope for some guys coming across to help me out for the entire $100. Up to 3rd place so may be tough if others bid the max.