AL pitcher

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

AL pitcher

#1 Post by Spread da wealth »

AL 4x4. I've got a pitcher about to go on the DL and would like to replace him with a starter (wins are a four-way dogfight, I'm good in ERA/WHIP). Best available are Cobb and Hutchison. Whom do you prefer?

If Oswalt's AAA start goes well this Sunday (I know his first three minor league starts have not been good), would you take him instead?

Thanks

Captain Hook

Re: AL pitcher

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Spread da wealth wrote:AL 4x4. I've got a pitcher about to go on the DL and would like to replace him with a starter (wins are a four-way dogfight, I'm good in ERA/WHIP). Best available are Cobb and Hutchison. Whom do you prefer?

If Oswalt's AAA start goes well this Sunday (I know his first three minor league starts have not been good), would you take him instead?

Thanks
Is this FCFS waivers?
or when is your pickup date?

How can you pick up Oswalt when he is in the minor leagues?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Too sketchy to call, mate. I do 4x4 only as well in an 11 teamer - Cobb never made it out of auction/draft day and Hutchinson is still available to put it in perspective. You may be doing ok in ERA and WHIP now ...but if you are going to chase wins, that may be a transient situation -especially with Hutchinson. How many teams is your league and how safe are you really in ERA and WHIP?
Last edited by da_big_kid_94 on July 4th, 2012, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by Spread da wealth »

Limited transactions, old style rules. I'd be putting off picking up Oswalt until Texas brings him up.

Best available relievers are O'Day and Herrera.

Thank you both, and with that extra info would you take Cobb, Herrera, Hutchison, O'Day, or wait on Oswalt?

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by Spread da wealth »

It's a 9 teamer to answer your other question, but as you know lots of guys are on the DL. Tim Collins and the newly promoted Erasmo Ramirez are also available. Based on MB ROS values, top guys available are Cobb, Hutchison, Herrera, and O'Day. Just wondering if you've got a preference or would wait to see how Oswalt does this Sunday.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I like Oswalt, but I'm not sure I like Oswalt in Texas. Seems to me Roy's been living off his rep for sometime and now he gets to pitch consistently in the land of the DH. Add to that the bullpen situation in Texas with the loss of Ogando for a month and them getting more work than they had hoped for trying to compensate for the loss of Feliz's projected innings and I don't see Roy being ready to go 6-7 innings on a consistent basis. And if you are chasing wins, you need a bullpen that protects leads - I'm not sure Texas qualifies right now. SR's aren't going to get you wins - if they are good, they'll only get you what you claim you already have an abundance of.

I don't advocate chasing wins, and I would normally say none of the choices you made will get you what you are hoping for. However, you didn't ask that ...so the answer to me is Cobb. Good luck.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by Spread da wealth »

Big Kid,

I included some relievers in there - would you take Collins, Herrera, or O'Day over Cobb?

I normally don't chase wins, either, and value middle relievers when the starting options aren't great (learned that from some guy named Todd). But right now I've got four starters, Frieri, and three setup men, and MB ROS values have Cobb and Hutchison ranked higher than any available middle relievers.

Thanks again

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Like I said, SR's aren't going to get you what you need...Cobb is the best of the lot IMHO.

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

It's a crap shoot but I will throw another name in there IF you can make a pickup today (Sat 6/15) and play him - Justin Grimm will start for Texas today home vs Houston.

While I like Ramirez/SEA and expect him to pitch better going forward that is risky as well so I would take the best matchup between Cobb and Hutchison

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#10 Post by Spread da wealth »

Interesting. We have a daily transaction deadline of 12:30, so if Uehara is officially put on the DL by then (that's the guy I'll be replacing) and Grimm officially recalled by then - then I could claim Grimm for the favorable-looking matchup against Houston. Grimm's at AA Texas League and having a great year, but definitely a crapshoot as you say. He shouldn't be up long so how much harm could he do? (famous last words for fantasy moves?) Thanks again to you both.

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

this already on cbs although I don't see the transactions yet on MLB.com

The Rangers called up pitching prospect Justin Grimm from Double-A Frisco on Thursday, with the intention of starting him on Saturday against the Astros. The move was made after Koji Uehara was placed on the disabled list. Grimm has made just 38 starts in two seasons since being selected in the fifth round of the 2010 MLB Draft out of the University of Georgia. "We looked at all options, the guys on the ballclub and the guys down below," general manager Jon Daniels told the Star-Telegram. "We felt Justin was the guy who was most ready to help us win a ballgame and step into this role.”
(Updated 06/15/12)

UPDATE - there may be a fly in the Grimm ointment (and transaction).....The Rangers did put Uehara on the DL but called up OF Leonys Martin because Josh Hamilton has been hospitalized with a stomach virus......Martin is supposedly starting in CF tonight.......that means they would need an additional spot on the 40 man roster to call up Grimm...............I wonder if they aren't going to pass on that and start Robbie Ross..............or whether there is someone who has options left they might shuttle...........Stay Tuned

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#12 Post by Spread da wealth »

Yeah, just noticed that. Maybe they'll send Martin right back down, if Hamilton recovers right away after some IV fluids, in order to bring up Grimm. If so, for my sake I hope they do it before 12:30 tomorrow. Thanks again.

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

Spread da wealth wrote:Yeah, just noticed that. Maybe they'll send Martin right back down, if Hamilton recovers right away after some IV fluids, in order to bring up Grimm. If so, for my sake I hope they do it before 12:30 tomorrow. Thanks again.
Martin is up for the weekend - Hamilton not likely to play at all
But they do have another day (I was thinking Grimm was going today but he will start tomorrow)