King Felix....what's up??

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

King Felix....what's up??

#1 Post by CubFan »

It's obvious something is still not right with him. We all know back issues can linger on and on and on. His velocity already was reduced this year. Am concerned that a) he is headed for the DL and b) even if he doesn't land on it the reduced velocity is a concern going forward. Looked at Todd's June 8th ROY stats and he's projected to earn at a $30 rate. I've held on even though I felt the same prior to his back injury and thinking the yellow flag is turning red. Anyone else concerned about him going forward?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook

Re: King Felix....what's up??

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well we really DON'T know anything and I read everything Mariners...........don't think it helps to speculate without some tangible information............so we ALL have to wait until we find out

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Man, this guy has set the bar high if we're out of the proverbial ledge when a guy is sporting a 7.70 ERA 10 weeks into the season.

His K/9 is a tick better than last season
His BB/9 is 2.98 as compared to 2.48 - a little decline
His HR/9 is .92 compared to .73 - he's giving up a couple more fly balls and his HR/FB is a little unli8cky
His BABIP is .321 versus .307 last season -- a tad over the norm, a bit unlucky

I know the back is acting up and I know the mph is down, but the guy is basically the EXACT SAME GUY as last season!!!

Granted, I am a little disappointed because I thought he would take a step up, but the bottom line is he is teh same guy as last year -- skills are not always reflected in the surface stats

also keep in mind this is a guy that started in Japan then back in the States after a flight halfway around the world -- his spring was not normal.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by CubFan »

Todd, while no one can dispute his base numbers his ERA/WHIP reflect more than just a guy who is unlucky. The more I read about diminished velocity....and it doesn't improve....the more times it seems to lead to bad things, such as hiding or pitching with an injury. There is no denying that diminished velocity for a power pitcher is not good. Yes, there are examples that pitchers such as Beckett reinvent themselves and can be successful but they are never the same. Just trying to get a grip on whether or not Felix is a top 5 AL pitcher anymore (which most had him as when the season began) and if not what is he before everyone else figures it out and he becomes untradable. FWIW, I've already shopped him to 4 different owners who have all turned him down.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by CubFan »

Captain Hook wrote:Well we really DON'T know anything and I read everything Mariners...........don't think it helps to speculate without some tangible information............so we ALL have to wait until we find out
Perry, but don't we all speculate on what player A will do? And we factor in such intangibles as whether or not a player is playing through an injury and how it will affect him. Look at Pedroia, he's playing through an injury and his output is unquestionably suffering. No different than Felix with his back. I suspect he's been dealing with this more than what has been led on.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

CubFan wrote:Todd, while no one can dispute his base numbers his ERA/WHIP reflect more than just a guy who is unlucky. The more I read about diminished velocity....and it doesn't improve....the more times it seems to lead to bad things, such as hiding or pitching with an injury. There is no denying that diminished velocity for a power pitcher is not good. Yes, there are examples that pitchers such as Beckett reinvent themselves and can be successful but they are never the same. Just trying to get a grip on whether or not Felix is a top 5 AL pitcher anymore (which most had him as when the season began) and if not what is he before everyone else figures it out and he becomes untradable. FWIW, I've already shopped him to 4 different owners who have all turned him down.
I disagree -- the things he can control are the same as they have always been. The things he cannot control are not going his way.

And, FWIW, last 5 games....

Date FBv
6/12/2012 92.2
6/1/2012 92
5/26/2012 91.7
5/21/2012 91.3
5/16/2012 90.6
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:Well we really DON'T know anything and I read everything Mariners...........don't think it helps to speculate without some tangible information............so we ALL have to wait until we find out
Perry, but don't we all speculate on what player A will do? And we factor in such intangibles as whether or not a player is playing through an injury and how it will affect him. Look at Pedroia, he's playing through an injury and his output is unquestionably suffering. No different than Felix with his back. I suspect he's been dealing with this more than what has been led on.
Ok ...but take this line of thought a step further. And please, do not take this as criticism. It's an observation. Right now, you're William Shatner (or John Lithgow for the movie buffs) on that plane, wondering why no one else sees what you see out on that wing. You see disaster coming and you may well be borne out using anecdotal reasoning. But others don't see it yet with the outliers they use and depend on. After all, I was the one who originally broke the mystery of Todd Helton and his broken farzimatoma (old boards joke) . Of course we all speculate - otherwise this would be a damn boring game. It is to what degree we speculate that makes our perceptions different. And, in this case, you seem to be willing to speculate more than where the "norm" may be currently coming to rest.

Pedroia may be playing less than par due to his injury - that is not an unreasonable point of view. He may also be just slumping - that is also not an unreasonable point of view. In situations such as this, it is also not unreasonable to dig out the old Billy Joel tracks and listen to them several times for either opposition prep or validation.

"You may be right.
I may be crazy.
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!
Turn out the light.
Don't try to save me.
You may be wrong, for all I know, but you may be right!
"
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
CubFan wrote:
Ok ...but take this line of thought a step further. And please, do not take this as criticism. It's an observation. Right now, you're William Shatner (or John Lithgow for the movie buffs) on that plane, wondering why no one else sees what you see out on that wing. You see disaster coming and you may well be borne out using anecdotal reasoning. But others don't see it yet with the outliers they use and depend on. After all, I was the one who originally broke the mystery of Todd Helton and his broken farzimatoma (old boards joke) . Of course we all speculate - otherwise this would be a damn boring game. It is to what degree we speculate that makes our perceptions different. And, in this case, you seem to be willing to speculate more than where the "norm" may be currently coming to rest.

Pedroia may be playing less than par due to his injury - that is not an unreasonable point of view. He may also be just slumping - that is also not an unreasonable point of view. In situations such as this, it is also not unreasonable to dig out the old Billy Joel tracks and listen to them several times for either opposition prep or validation.

"You may be right.
I may be crazy.
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!
Turn out the light.
Don't try to save me.
You may be wrong, for all I know, but you may be right!
"
Points taken. I think none of us are immune from using whatever info we want to support our views. And I it appears I'm willing to speculate more than others in this case....call it gut feeling. And it's no secret I've been wrong before when I've had this "feeling" and regretted the move.....and I've also been right. Just looking to get others thoughts to prevent me from making a rash decision.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

southpaw

#9 Post by southpaw »

Read on one of the Mariners blogs that he worked on tweaking his delivery this week and will try it out in his next start. Something to watch for...

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

Felix just threw seven strong innings with seven strikeouts and says...........Watcha talkin about Willis?

He was throwing six different pitches - all for strikes

Next question...........?

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by CubFan »

Captain Hook wrote:Felix just threw seven strong innings with seven strikeouts and says...........Watcha talkin about Willis?

He was throwing six different pitches - all for strikes

Next question...........?
Hey, I'll take it but I'm also aware that the Giants do not have a vaunted offense (would have been noteworthy doing against Texas at Arlington) in which no one on their team strikes fear in the opposing pitcher that they alone can end the game with one swing....plus it's nice to be pitching in Seattle. I didn't see the game so I can't make an assessment if his stuff was nasty...like Scherzer was today. He's still on my team and I'll remain concerned till he can string a few more good outings like today. Maybe I just need to taunt/doubt him some more and he'll throw a no-no for me :lol:

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

You know what you gotta say now, right? :D
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:You know what you gotta say now, right? :D
Yep! I was wwrrrooonnnggggg! Not the first time and won't be the last. And as an aside there were a number of "major" fantasy pundits who were as concerned or more than me who had already written him off as moving into the Lincecum column. I'm also aware that Felix has alot of innings on his young arm and I recall a number of Cub's pitchers of similar stock.....Wood and Prior come to mind. So, I'll likely remained concerned but I can't trade him now even if I wanted. My starting staff just went from 6 to 3 this week. Paulino to TJ surgery, McCarthy and Williams on the DL.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Guess that makes me a "minor" fantasy pundit 8-)

Better than being a "so-called" expert :P

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by CubFan »

Todd Zola wrote:Guess that makes me a "minor" fantasy pundit 8-)

Better than being a "so-called" expert :P
Not at all Todd. You are in the upper echelon or else I wouldn't be coming back for as long as I have been and signing up for your Platinum service. MB at ESPN, who I enjoy reading and respect some of his thoughts, was more concerned with Felix than me and just about wrote him off for the year.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I know this is a cheap shot, CubFan ... but I couldn't resist. Any other concerns? :lol: :lol:

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:I know this is a cheap shot, CubFan ... but I couldn't resist. Any other concerns? :lol: :lol:
Been wondering how soon before you'd chime in after his masterpiece :lol: Since I previously conceded that I was overly "concerned" I don't plan on ordering any ketchup for the crow I ate awhile back. But hindsight is 20-20 :D And of course I am glad that I held onto him. Now I've got to get my offense healed up.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -