AL Trade controversy

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
yankee7

AL Trade controversy

#1 Post by yankee7 »

Some owners are concerned with this proposed trade...

Ian Kinsler and Jose Valverde for Brandon Morrow, Andy Pettitte, and Jeff Keppinger.

Fair trade?

Captain Hook

Re: AL Trade controversy

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

yankee7 wrote:Some owners are concerned with this proposed trade...

Ian Kinsler and Jose Valverde for Brandon Morrow, Andy Pettitte, and Jeff Keppinger.

Fair trade?
Are there trade rules in this league?

Are there salaries involved?

Keeper or redraft?

Certainly there is way more talent with Kinsler and Valverde but I could see it from a categorical standpoint if the team acquiring Morrow and Pettitte is good just lacking some starting pitching

yankee7

#3 Post by yankee7 »

There are no trade rules and no salary restrictions. There is an ethics committee for disputes, but they are generally hands off.

5 keepers per year, but none of these 5 would be at bargain basement prices. Typical inflation is 10-12%.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Okay, fair is in the eye of the beholder, so if both teams think this improves their team then I don't see the problem with it

josh

#5 Post by josh »

I dont think its a good deal for the guy getting Morrow and Pettitte but ya never know what his plan is. Punting saves? all starting pitching? maybe he even figures the Valverde saves will take away points from other teams thus helping him. Sometimes a trade that doesnt look good on paper actually helps out in the standings.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

yankee7 wrote:Some owners are concerned with this proposed trade...

Fair trade?
Some owners should be out making their own deals. No collusion? All's fair.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Mickey4081

#7 Post by Mickey4081 »

Is it a fair trade? No. Would I object? No. I've been playing this game too long and I've seen alot worse trades than this go thru. It's actually not too bad, but, I still would think the guy trading Kinsler could do a hell of alot better than those 3 guys. Just my opinion.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#8 Post by alleyoops »

I'll take the unpopular view - I would object. In the absence of decent rules, it's incumbent on the owners of the league to voice objections, and for the committee to do the job which the limited rules give them. Allowing lopsided trades is a sure way to a) make a league uncompetitive and b) lose owners.

Longer term, I'd suggest improving the rules (in-season salary cap?). Short term, use the rules as they stand to make the league "fair" to all.

Mickey4081

#9 Post by Mickey4081 »

I wouldn't blame you for objecting. I have clicked the object button numerous times only to see half the owners couldn't care less. So, I'm done objecting. Let owners do what they want. If it get's out of hand, leave the league. I've done that.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

This concept has come up before on these boards and the main problem still remains - why would owners who could contemplate this sort of deal suddenly grow brains when it comes down to judging these deals when they aren't directly involved? Why does everyone seem to think a trade veto works when it's seemingly dependent on those owners "thinking the right way" in the first place? Is it a deal for the ages? Nope. Should it be vetoed? No. Like Perry says ...eye of the beholder - and no one here is a beholder in this.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

Those of you who are either ESPN Insider or Platinum members will get a piece on this early next week, but a trade is not about the players, it is about the lineup.

What we do not know is if after each team makes the adjustments to field a legal lineup, whether or not their team is in a more favorable position to gain points - that's the key.

We also have no idea what the scoring system is, etc, so we don't even know the relative value of each player.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

So, what does everybody think of this deal NOW? It is just another anecdotal example of why there really aren't fair trades or unfair trades, or who won the trade or lost the trade at the time the deal was made. Any one can select one point in time and say yea or nay, good or bad. Problem with that is, another point in time is just around the corner.

Mickey4081

#13 Post by Mickey4081 »

It was and still is a bad trade for one of the top all around 2nd baseman in the game. Jeff Keppinger doesn't sweetin the deal. Kid, there are unfair trades. If some guy decides to deal Adam Jones for Alexei Ramirez, would you consider this a fair trade?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Mickey4081 wrote:It was and still is a bad trade for one of the top all around 2nd baseman in the game. Jeff Keppinger doesn't sweetin the deal. Kid, there are unfair trades. If some guy decides to deal Adam Jones for Alexei Ramirez, would you consider this a fair trade?
I am not interested in dealing with hypotheticals such as the one you proposed ... like Wonder Boy for Rex Brothers or Darvish for Randy Wells... reminds me too much of George Carlin's Heavy Mystery Time routine. I try to look at things on a case by case basis within context. You wish to look at it through a pair of eyes that has no skin in this game. That is your right and I will not deny it to you. But it is actions such that occurred yesterday that make these trade evaluations an exercise in futility. No one knew Pettitte was going to break his ankle ...and if the context of the trade was someone needed two starters on productive offensive teams and needed Keppinger as filler for the guy he needed to give up to get those two starters? Then that is the price you pay.

Would I have made this deal? Not personally, based on the skimpy information provided. Since the deal, Valverde, Morrow and Pettitte have all been hurt - who could have projected that? And since the deal? Kinsler hasn't exactly been on fire either. Now I can see where folks might think projections and treat them as givens for the future. But to look at this deal in retrospect? it's much ado about nothing at this point in time..

Mickey4081

#15 Post by Mickey4081 »

"No skin in this game" what the hell are you talking about? I chimed in on your recent post but you refuse to answer my question. Well, your just no fun then.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Mickey4081 wrote:"No skin in this game" what the hell are you talking about? I chimed in on your recent post but you refuse to answer my question. Well, your just no fun then.
Clarification ....you are not a party to this particular trade, hence, "No skin in the game". For the record, I have no skin in the game either. You are most certainly welcome to chime in at any time, old sport. :D