MB Subscriber Prospect Write-Ups

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

MB Subscriber Prospect Write-Ups

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Posting this here only because I think this forum gets the most traffic. It should probably be posted on either the Prospect or Mastersball Article forums.

This idea for this article started from the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1686&start=10

The Masterball Staff has agreed to put together a prospect write-up report. The purpose of this report is to provide insight on what would need to happen for certain prospects (selected by us!) to see MLB action in 2010. This report would also show, given a certain number of ABs, how this prospect would fair at the major league level this year using their prior minor league statistics.

Being that my primary league is AL-only, there are several AL names that come to mind. If anyone would like to add to this list just post a reply. Lets try to keep the list to prospects that have a legit chance to see ABs in 2010 and are not currently in the projection set (no Heyward, Strasburg, Hellickson, etc.).

AL (no specific order - they get a bit questionable at the end)
1. Desmond Jennings, TAM OF - RF is completely up in the air in Tampa; blocked by Joyce/Rodriguez/Zobrist?
2. Brett Wallace, TOR 1B/3B - blocked by Overbay/Ruiz/Encarnacion?
3. Chris Carter, OAK 1B/OF - blocked by Barton/Fox/Chavez?
4. Michael Taylor, OAK OF - Rob already has an excellent write up about him, just wondering about his stats
5. Justin Smoak, TEX 1B - if Chris Davis struggles or Vlad gets hurt
6. Josh Bell, BAL 3B - blocked by Atkins/Tejada?
7. Hector Rondon, CLE SP - on the 40 man, was successful in Columbus in 2009, and Cleveland needs 5 SPs
8. Jesus Montero, NYY C - crazier things have happened; will be in AAA this year and Nick Johnson always gets hurt
9. Brandon Snyder, BAL 1B - blocked by Atkins?
10. Danny Valencia, MIN 3B - blocked by Punto/Harris/Tolbert?

NL (no specific order)
1. Pedro Alvarez, PIT 3B
2. Chris Heisey, CIN OF
3. Aroldis Chapman, CIN SP (I think this one might be hard since no minor league stats)
4. Ike Davis, NYM 1B

Others? Thats up to you!
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

IronMarshal

Re: MB Subscriber Prospect Write-Ups

#2 Post by IronMarshal »

Good idea!

I do NL only, so adding to your 4, here goes:

Madison Bumgarner SF P
Buster Posey SF C
Mike Stanton FLA OF
Starlin Castro Chi SS
Juan Castro Hou C
Brandon Allen AZ 1B
Todd Frazier Cin 2B-3B
Juan Francisco Cin 3B
Travis Wood Cin P
Matt Maloney Cin P (I think he is already thought of as in the Reds rotation)
Hank Conger LA C
Chai Jen Lo Hou RP
Jhoulys Chacin Col P
Jaime Garcia StL P

#3 Post by Guest »

Sent the stats off. You'll probably see them sometime Sunday. Writeups we'll try and hit later. Please understand we only translate AA and up, some of these guys are very small sample size for evaluation. But its interesting nonetheless.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Kelly_Leak wrote:
AL (no specific order - they get a bit questionable at the end)
1. Desmond Jennings, TAM OF - RF is completely up in the air in Tampa; blocked by Joyce/Rodriguez/Zobrist?
2. Brett Wallace, TOR 1B/3B - blocked by Overbay/Ruiz/Encarnacion?
3. Chris Carter, OAK 1B/OF - blocked by Barton/Fox/Chavez?
4. Michael Taylor, OAK OF - Rob already has an excellent write up about him, just wondering about his stats
5. Justin Smoak, TEX 1B - if Chris Davis struggles or Vlad gets hurt
6. Josh Bell, BAL 3B - blocked by Atkins/Tejada?
7. Hector Rondon, CLE SP - on the 40 man, was successful in Columbus in 2009, and Cleveland needs 5 SPs
8. Jesus Montero, NYY C - crazier things have happened; will be in AAA this year and Nick Johnson always gets hurt
9. Brandon Snyder, BAL 1B - blocked by Atkins?
10. Danny Valencia, MIN 3B - blocked by Punto/Harris/Tolbert?

NL (no specific order)
1. Pedro Alvarez, PIT 3B
2. Chris Heisey, CIN OF
3. Aroldis Chapman, CIN SP (I think this one might be hard since no minor league stats)
4. Ike Davis, NYM 1B
Well I think posters will get the best of both worlds this year.....Rob will post his articles/lists and I will have a list for Platinum Subscribers towards the end of spring training and Todd and Gary will crank out numbers although theirs should likely be on those who can be projected now to see playing time in 2010.

Quick hits on your list from a scouting/playing pov:
AL (no specific order)
1. Desmond Jennings, TAM OF - Very Unlikely to get meaningful AB this year, perhaps late season callup but look for him to be starter in 2011....get now if you can stash or replace/reserve

2. Brett Wallace, TOR 1B/3B - not sure they want to start his clock - his bat will play now, his glove? meh.....BUT EE is hurt so not sure they would play Wallace at 3B or move Bautista and play someone else in RF

3. Chris Carter, OAK 1B/OF - great power but likely starts the year in AAA Sacramento.....best shot for meaningful AB this year is Oakland falling out of the AL West race and Beane trading chips.....I doubt Barton cuts it, and really he is Overbay Lite, so they need Carter's power at 1B in the future

4. Michael Taylor, OAK OF - agree on Rob's writeup but doubt we see him until next year

5. Justin Smoak, TEX 1B - the Chris Davis hedge (would take more than an injury to Vlad who btw looks fine so far).....but possible by mid-season. Great switch hitter....get Now while you can

6. Josh Bell, BAL 3B - really needs some time at AAA.....could see him up later IF Tejeda fails to hit but that seems like a longshot....and Orioles don't have enough AB for their major leaguers much less rushing Bell who should be the starer in 2011

7. Hector Rondon, CLE SP - long shot, but intriguing

8. Jesus Montero, NYY C - 2011 unless multiple injuries

9. Brandon Snyder, BAL 1B - blocked by Atkins, yes and also got hurt this week in spring training...but assuming he starts at AAA I expect him to see AB this year later in the season

10. Danny Valencia, MIN 3B - not necessarily....long shot, but in competition (if that is what you call Harris and Punto) for the starting job at third

NL (no specific order)
1. Pedro Alvarez, PIT 3B - look for later season callup but more likely 2011
2. Chris Heisey, CIN OF - in the mix for the LF job but as always the Reds have far too many OF/DH bodies on the roster already.....but you DO want to stash him if possible

3. Aroldis Chapman, CIN SP - GREAT prospect with outside chance to make the rotation out of camp....get him as soon as you can

4. Ike Davis, NYM 1B - former ASU star (coughshamelesslocalplugcough) but as well as he can hit...and HAS so far in spring training I can't see him starting the year in NY...but just a phone call away at some point (more likely 2011)

PVH