Beat Todd Zola League on Fantrax

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Beat Todd Zola League on Fantrax

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

Fantrax was kind enough to line up 14 teams looking to take me down. Here'a a link to the draft board: https://t.co/V1NEbiWKED

Please post any questions about the draft here - except for what other teams I like - not a question I care to answer. We're all in first place.

C Martin, Russell - TOR 19/278
C McCann, James - DET 21/308
1B Rizzo, Anthony - CHC 2/23
2B Merrifield, Whit - KC 6/83
3B Seager, Kyle - SEA 8/113
SS Andrus, Elvis - TEX 4/53
SS Camargo, Johan - ATL 26/383
CI Encarnacion, Edwin - CLE 3/38
MI LeMahieu, DJ - COL 7/98
OF Bradley Jr., Jackie - BOS 18/263
OF Dickerson, Corey - TB 14/203
OF Margot, Manuel - SD 9/128
OF Piscotty, Stephen - OAK 16/233
OF Trumbo, Mark - BAL 15/218
OF Winker, Jesse (R) - CIN 24/353
OF Smith, Mallex - TB 25/368
P Bradley, Archie - ARI 13/188
P Kershaw, Clayton - LAD 1/8
P Keuchel, Dallas - HOU 5/68
P Mikolas, Miles - STL 20/293
P Mitchell, Bryan - SD 22/323
P Morrow, Brandon - CHC 17/248
P Neris, Héctor - PHI 10/143
P Richards, Garrett - LAA 12/173
P Taillon, Jameson - PIT 11/158
P Woodruff, Brandon (R) - MIL 23/338
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Beat Todd Zola League on Fantrax

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I should mention I am Lord of the Fly Balls.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Weir
High-A

#3 Post by Weir »

Hey Todd,

How comfortable do you feel with your 5th-7th starters?

Once you built up strong ratios with Kershaw and Keuchel
was your strategy to find upside streaming options?

Thanks!

Jason

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Weir wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 9:34 pm Hey Todd,

How comfortable do you feel with your 5th-7th starters?

Once you built up strong ratios with Kershaw and Keuchel
was your strategy to find upside streaming options?

Thanks!

Jason
I don't think anyone can be confident in their back-end starters in this or any year, that's why they're back-end. I always look for streaming option from SP5 on - prefer NL in a pitcher's park but at some point you can't check all the boxes so you just pick the best and look to deploy in the right scenario.

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by mkieffer »

Do you have concerns about lack of power hitting on this team?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

mkieffer wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 1:22 am Do you have concerns about lack of power hitting on this team?
Nope.

mikebartpt
Rookie

#7 Post by mikebartpt »

What was your biggest miss in this draft, i.e. a player or type of player you wanted but were unable to get?

I listen to your podcast/read most of what you write, so I followed your picks without too much surprise, but I can't really understand the why behind these picks:
Collin Moran
Garrett Cooper
a 5th catcher

I noticed you didn't obtain a lot of players with multi-position eligibility, too many masterball guys who know you too well?

Thanks for letting us follow along, great entertainment in our very cold/frozen Hot Stove.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Welcome aboard!

Biggest miss -- closer, but in a stand-alone league, I'm less concerned than the NFBC DC. I may be OK, depending on Bradley and Morrow, we'll see.

Colin Moran - bat isn't the issue, his glove and a loaded Astros team is. Houston is reportedly working Moran out in left field this spring to find ways to get his bat in the lineup. It will take an injury or two, but the opportunity is there for Moran to play for an extended stretch.

Garrett Cooper - currently blocked by Justin Bour, but who plays first if Bour is traded? Just a late round flier on a team with plausible paths to playing time

5th catcher - I faded catchers more than usual, including an aging Russell Martin, so wanted an extra dart, just in case.

multi-eligibility player - Had I drafted Nelson Cruz, I would have worked more in. Obviously, injuries can happen to anyone, but I'm comfortable with the durability of my infield and have ample outfielders to cover injuries (I hope). Plus, yeah, over half the league is a subscriber so I was jumped on guys like Solarte.