I'm going to break my own rule

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

I'm going to break my own rule

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Normally I would NEVER talk about 2018 this early, but I have a conundrum... his name is David Dahl (and yes, Wolfie ...feel free to read).

Now the league is in the signature and it's NL only (and Holland ..... PLEASE let the Cards snatch you up!!!). For the first time in my life, I foresee going into the 2018 auction with 5 OF and only the Util spot open. Here are the Fab Five with contract amounts and years left;
  • Dahl 10 final year
  • Domingo Santana 16 2 years left (add one year to contract)
  • Atherr 1 2 years left
  • Schwarber 15 Final year (I know, but 30 bombs is tought to ignore even if he can't field worth a damn and I can't see Joe trying that leadoff experiment again)
  • Markakis 6 Final Year (I know ATL wants him out, but until then .275 and 70+RBI for 6 bucks just can't be washed away.
  • Parra 3 two years remaining
  • Robles 5 units 3 years
I know ...that's 7. It's why I threw Markakis in there to show all possible options. Now, why is Dahl my problem? He has a handcuff on my team ....Otani. Again, a longshot ...but if he posts and doesn't got directly to the minors, do I hope his team makes him an OF or a pitcher? See, this is why I don't usually do this so soon ...and there are a few questions that can't be answered yet (just to muddle waters. my MI will be all filled up at auction as well with Scooter, Freddy Galvis and Drury for a combined cost of 5 units). I'm obviously gearing up for a big NL run and I think I'm too close to see forest for trees.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: I'm going to break my own rule

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Thank god it's the Angels. Can't see him getting too many DH AB's with that monster of a contract Albert has!
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#3 Post by CubFan »

Only play AL but agree with you as to Ohtani will likely have issues getting many ABs with a full OF and Pujols taking up space as their DH. Unless........Ohtani goes to 1B. Less stress on his arm playing there vs OF or LAA trades Calhoun or Pujols agrees to take a sabbatical.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:Only play AL but agree with you as to Ohtani will likely have issues getting many ABs with a full OF and Pujols taking up space as their DH. Unless........Ohtani goes to 1B. Less stress on his arm playing there vs OF or LAA trades Calhoun or Pujols agrees to take a sabbatical.
Possible ..but wouldn't the Angels be committing suicide then with Otani on 1B? I would imagine they wouldn't want Otani playing any position that involves as much contact with opposing players with the possible resultant injuries.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Possible ..but wouldn't the Angels be committing suicide then with Otani on 1B? I would imagine they wouldn't want Otani playing any position that involves as much contact with opposing players with the possible resultant injuries.
Maybe. Also forgot to account for him needing to throw on his off days so playing the field will likely be rare. So, how do you get Pujols to sit the bench 2-3 times/week? Take a bullet for the team? I'll only be bidding on him as a SP2 type pitcher. Not going to pay Kluber or Sale type $$.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:Maybe. Also forgot to account for him needing to throw on his off days so playing the field will likely be rare. So, how do you get Pujols to sit the bench 2-3 times/week? Take a bullet for the team? I'll only be bidding on him as a SP2 type pitcher. Not going to pay Kluber or Sale type $$.
I understand your point ... but that's why I am so high on your potential Severino deal. You make that deal and you force someone to pay for Otani through the nose .... you won't ...but someone else would in that circumstance. He's only 5 units to me so I can afford him with little or no proble. ... but then others in my league would have paid more if he were available.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by CubFan »

Don't quite follow. If you're NL only your $5 Ohtani is worthless, or am I missing something?

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:Don't quite follow. If you're NL only your $5 Ohtani is worthless, or am I missing something?
You're right ...not quite clear .. I'm in both AL and NL onlys and I own Otani in each at 5 units ...so I knew I was covered ...just waiting to see where he landed.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by CubFan »

Uh Oh.......from Rotoworld "Shohei Ohtani has a first-degree sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, according to a physical obtained by Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports." May be too late to trade him.

He got PRP in October, taking the Tanaka route. IMO, physics says the ligament in a human arm can only throw so hard before snap, crackel, pop. Just a matter of time and wear and tear. Just read an article this week (don't remember where as I've been doing alot of reading as my son recently underwent a UCL repair with internal brace construction. He only had a partial tear and they keep the ligament and add a collegen tape to repair it) that said ~50% of MLB pitchers end up having TJ during their careers. Maybe he's the other 50% that doesn't need surgery. Then again......how risk averse are you?

As an aside.....my son didn't tear it from pitching, on a dp kid threw his arm up as he slid into second and hit my son's arm as he threw the ball to first. He is a pitcher (18 yrs old) and was devastated as it ended his senior year. He was topping out at 90 and hoped to continue pitching in college. Now rehabbing. Hoping for the best.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

No intention of trading him. He has an option that virtually no one else has ...he may be able to bat. At 5 units, wouldn't trade him for anything right now. He has that all elusive quality - intangibles. Once he's played for a bit, that may go away ... or become greatly enhanced ... but I'm not sweating the UCL sprain this far ahead of spring training.