Todd's Draft Champions 6 Team

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Todd's Draft Champions 6 Team

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

Drew 1.02 (left KDS 1-15)

1.02 Jose Altuve: Top player on the board. So far, really like my hitting but my pitching is a little weak.

2.14 Anthony Rizzo: Like the sneaky 10 steals along with the usual power and good but not great average

3.02 Justin Verlander: Don't feel like playing chicken with starters until I know the market. Verlander was the 9th SP off the board, he's my 6th SP so it feels right. Keep in mind Minute Maid Park is actually a decent pitching upgrade from Comerica Park.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

steveymer
Major League Regular

Re: Todd's Draft Champions 6 Team

#2 Post by steveymer »

I had the first pick in this one. What I see as the second tier of hitters (after Trout and Altuve) ran out with Rizzo. Really wish one of them had dropped, but when that didn't happen, decided to roll the dice on Syndergaard and Severino. Don't think I've ever taken two so that early, will see how it goes.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't see a huge drop in hitting, will be interesting to see the contrast of our wheel picks.

Syndergaard scares me in this format.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

steveymer
Major League Regular

#4 Post by steveymer »

May not be huge, but I think there's a definite drop off from Donaldson, Gordon, and Rizzo to the next batters taken in Springer, Bregman, and Dozier (who I would have taken if I went with a bat). For what it's worth, your projections have the first group at 27-30 and the second at 22-24. There was one hitter available in between those groups, but he wasn't someone I'd take at pick 31.

I'm very scared of Syn, but already drafted one of my typically safe teams and may try to have a bit of fun betting on upside with this one.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't follow dollar values that closely. Looks like we both did well with taking at least one pitcher at 2/3 - lots of yellow on the board last several picks. I sense that will be the norm, all good, hitting will get pushed down to us.

steveymer
Major League Regular

#6 Post by steveymer »

Yeah, I was expecting there to be a good run on pitchers. Glad to see it. Now to figure out what to do with this next turn...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

26 picks in between my choices - 9 SP and 3 CL left the board, so I'm pleased with Verlander at the previous turn.

As I discussed in the Platinum-available Z Files, I'll take the two-round discount on Nelson Cruz (at least according to my numbers). Yes, UT is locked, which can be problematic, but I'll try to build in some flexibility later.

Next pick hindered the ability to get an eligibility chain (also discussed in the Z Files) - but I am a believer in Jonathan Schoop so I put him in the middle. Some of it is the durability, worth something in this format.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Having done a few magazine mocks and regular drafts, it's apparent that my SP2 will be the most agonizing pick, assuming I don't simply take 2 SP in the first 5 rounds.

Just grabbed Jake Arrieta as SP2. I normally like a slightly better option, but this is the tier than has been hit hard with injuries and gopheritis.

Came back with Lorenzo Cain -- I could be accounting for park factors too much (and being aggressive with playing time) but the K squashes power, so everyone looking at his numbers and figuring those will be his baseline for his new team isn't "factoring" in venue (see what I did there?"

Even if he goes back to KC, I like him in this spot (7.02) adds some steals without compromising the other counting stats.

1B Rizzo
2B Altuve
MI Schoop
OF Cain
UT Cruz

SP Verlander
SP Arrieta

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

Catching up...

8. Evan Gattis
9. Kyle Seager
10. Zach Godley
11. Sonny Gray
12. Adam Eaton
13. Archie Bradley

C Gattis
C
1B Votto
3B Seager
CI
2B Altuve
SS
MI Schoop
OF Cain
OF Eaton
OF
OF
OF
UT Cruz

P Verlander
P Arrieta
P Godley
P S Gray
P Bradley

Those reading the Platinum piece know what I'm setting up for, we'll see if it manifests. I'm taking a chance on closer, but I have a couple things up my sleeve, time will tell if it works out.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

14. Tim Beckham
15. Mitch Haniger
16. David Robertson
17. Jordan Montgomery
18. Mark Reynolds (human error, the league offered to let me switch, I declined)
19. Brad Brach
20. Cam Bedrosian
21. Stephen Piscotty
22. Jesse Winker
23. Brandon Phillips

dealing with some site stuff -- I'll comment later (hopefully)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

Catching up...

24. Jimmy Nelson
25. Brandon Woodruff
26. Kurt Suzuki
27. Jason Castro
28. Johan Camargo
29. Devon Travis
30. Ariel Miranda
31. Leonys Martin
32. Bryan Mitchell
33. Charlie Tilson
34. Matt Duffy
35. Hunter Pence
36. Joe Jimenez
37. Steve Pearce
38. Pedro Severino
39. Brent Suter

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

By position:

C: Gattis, Suzuki, Castro, Severino
1B: Rizzo, Reynolds
2B: Altuve, Schoop, Travis
3B: Seager, Phillips, Duffy
SS: Beckham, Camargo
OF: Cain, Eaton, Haniger, Piscotty, Winker, Martin, Tilson, Pence, Pearce
UT: Cruz
SP: Verlander, Arrieta, Godley, S Gray, Nelson, Woodruff, J Montgomery, Miranda, Mitchell, Suter
RP: Bradley, Robertson, Brach, Bedrosian, Jimenez

39 down, 11 to go. Concerned about OF, light on power, hoping Cruz and Gattis help there. Will likely grab 4 more SP and 2 more RP then see what is there.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Picking up at Pick 40:

40 Gonzalez, Adrian 1B
41 Grossman, Robbie OF
42 Dickey, R.A. P
43 Kelly, Joe P
44 Gallen, Zac P
45 Asche, Cody UT
46 Holt, Brock 2B
47 Smith, Seth OF
48 Iwakuma, Hisashi P
49 Slegers, Aaron P
50 Travis, Sam 1B

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Entire team by position

C: Gattis, Suzuki, Castro, Severino
1B: Rizzo, Reynolds, Gonzalez, Travis
2B: Altuve, Schoop, Travis, Holt
3B: Seager, Phillips, Duffy
SS: Beckham, Camargo
OF: Cain, Eaton, Haniger, Piscotty, Winker, Martin, Tilson, Pence, Pearce, Grossman, Asche, Smith
UT: Cruz
SP: Verlander, Arrieta, Godley, S Gray, Nelson, Woodruff, J Montgomery, Miranda, Mitchell, Suter, Dickey, Gallen, Iwakuma, Slegers
RP: Bradley, Robertson, Brach, Bedrosian, Jimenez, Kelly

Gut observations:

1. Not as comfortable as usual that I have each spot covered. Don't know if it is due to lack of confidence of knowledge of back end of the player pool, draft flow (getting sniped) or just plain crappy drafting. It could also be this is just the way the pool is. I looked at the other teams and I can't find one that I feel is covered everywhere, so it's likely part pool, part poor drafting, part poor team construction.

2. Don't have as much pitching as usual -- not sure why other than I feel like there's overkill in the OF, especially with Cruz locked at UT. I just wasn't comfortable with the outfield so I kept taking shots.

3. It was my fault, but dang, Reynolds is a eye sore. There were so many useful players still on the board.

4. I may have caught two breaks already with Brach possibly closing with Britton out and Duffy possibly playing regularly with Longoria traded. I'd love it if Duffy somehow got 10 games at SS, then played 3B regularly.

I'll do at least one DC Express (all picks in one night), maybe another regular DC. I'll also do 3 Cutlines.