New User Platinum Package Advice

A board to test all the settings...
telestar

New User Platinum Package Advice

#1 Post by telestar »

I'm trying to get the hang of the package - it looks very good! But after I've entered the first group of players (in the Standings and Roster Tracker) drafted in my league, I am trying to determine the best way to view the remaining unowned players. I'm probably missing something quite basic, but how can I tier just the remaining players by position and value? Apologies for not figuring this out myself.
Thanks for any help in advance. :)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: New User Platinum Package Advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

assuming you are using the regular and not Ultra version...

There is a sort function with Excel. Depending on what version you have, look up top for an icon with A above Z or Z above A with a down arrow next to the letters. if you are using one of the latest version, it is on the DATA page. Place the cursor in the heading of the column you want to sort by and click either A-over-Z for ascending or Z-over-A for descending. What I usually do is first sort by at bats or innings pitched then I sort on the team. Now all drafted guys are up top and the undrafted are listed by AB or IP. Or use value, etc.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

telestar

#3 Post by telestar »

Thx Todd - I know how to data sort - but the hitters and pitcher sheets don't seem to have a $ value. I realize it is valuable to sort by AB or SB (etc), but what if you wanted to list by overall value instead?
The values are on the CVRC - but how do I match up the entries on the Standings and Roster Tracker (not the Ultra) with the values on the other file?

Thanks for the help.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Are you familiar with the vlookup command?

It would take 2 minutes to do, but then, if you were familiar with it, you would not be asking 8-)

First the hitters.

Open up the HIT CVRC and the START, I assume you have run values. if you are pulling in values from the common league worksheet, the idea is the same.

In START, on the hitter's page, put the cursor in cell S7, the first open one with Abreu. Type in

=vlookup(C7,

at this point, DO NOT HIT RETURN and you go over to the HIT CVRV spreadsheet and go to the VALUES page.

Put the cursor on the A in column A and drag to the K and let go, the function should now look like

=vlookup(C7,[HIT_CVRC_021512.xls]VALUES!$A:$K

Now type in ,11,0)

making the whole thing to be

=vlookup(C7,[HIT_CVRC_021512.xls]VALUES!$A:$K,11,0)

if you are feeling frisky,and have the hit cvcc opened and have not changed its name, you can actually just copy and paste that line into S7 from here. The name of the CVRC has to match or it will confuse your program.

Then you grab onto S7, fill down to the last player. You now have pulled in the values. The final step is getting rid of the formula. Highlight all of column S by clicking on the S, then right click -copy, right click paste special and choose values. You are now down with the hitting.

To do pitching, open up the PIT CVRV and in cell Q7 (you can grab onto the column to make it wider), type in =vlookup(C7,

then go to the pit cvrc, go to values, highlight columns A to I, making the string

==VLOOKUP(C7,[PIT_CVRC_021512.xls]VALUES!$A:$I

then type in ,9,0)

making it =VLOOKUP(C7,[PIT_CVRC_021512.xls]VALUES!$A:$I,9,0)

Again, you can paste it in directly if this is the name of the CVRC you are using.

Do the same fill down, copy, paste special

In words, what vlookup does is looks at C7, which for hitting is Abreu, Bobby

Then it goes over to the values page on the hit cvrc and finds abreu in column A and scoots over 11 columns (note the 11 in the formula) and copies that value into the cell. Pitching is similar, except the $VAL is in the 9th column, hence the number "9" in the formula.

Please let me know if that works.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

telestar

#5 Post by telestar »

Todd - thanks for the help - I have gotten through part of this (sorry I had to log off last night). I was able to get the function =vlookup(C7,[HIT_CVRC_021512.xls]VALUES!$A:$K,11,0) into the S7 cell - and then copied it into the rest of the S column from there. This gave me values in each column (like -5.8 in Abreu, 9.41 in Ackley, and -18 in Ryan Adams). This does not seem to change when I do the right click copy and pasted for the entire S-column. Do I have anything yet to do in the hitting file? I have not tried the pitching yet.

Thanks for your assistance on this.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

It's not supposed to change-- what the copy/paste special does is get rid of that formula and turn it into just the number.

If you are feeling really frisky, you can select the whole column S, right click

NUMBER

FORMAT CELLS

Choose currency

Choose symbol = $

Choose decimal = 0

and it turns it into -$6, $9, -$18 etc.

telestar

#7 Post by telestar »

Beautiful - thanks. I now have the $ in the "S" column and know not to build my team around Ryan Adams as originally planned. :mrgreen:
I'll have to work on the pitching.

So do you recommend opening a different file for each slow draft to keep up? I guess you just need a separate "START" file for each one...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

yeah, it is designed for one draft at a time, sorry

telestar

Re: New User Platinum Package Advice (Todd)

#9 Post by telestar »

Todd: If I wanted to use the Ultra file and quickly print out the players in value order (most to least valuable), what is the easiest way to do so? I don't know if I will have time to use the system mid-draft and enter everyone's picks. It may be easier for me to have a list of players by position and value to look through. But the value is not in the Ultra file. Do I need to use some type of vlookup command? Let me know and apologies for the (likely) simple question.
Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

It may not be sized very well, but if you are OK with Excel, you can reduce, or even delete the columns you don't want, but I'd use the MIX 15 worksheet on the values for common leagues spreadsheet.

Personally, I would delete the $CAT columns (HR$, SB$ etc) and just have the name, team, pos and $VAL.

When do you need it? In a week, we will be providing what I call "Value Tiers" which is a color coded grid with the players put in tiers by position, designed to fit perfectly on 4 pieces of paper.

telestar

#11 Post by telestar »

That would be great - but my first draft is this week. Value Tiers may be in time for the second one though. Let me look for the Mix 15 now.
Thanks much.

telestar

#12 Post by telestar »

Todd - Is the Value Tiers color-coded grid you mentioned coming out this weekend? Let me know - thanks.