Masterneuts not working with Cahill

A board to test all the settings...
WillRoy
Major League All-Star

Masterneuts not working with Cahill

#1 Post by WillRoy »

Hi,

I compared trevor Cahill in Row 2 @ Oakland versus row 3 in AZ and got the same projection. Is anyone else having this problem or a similar one?

And on the subject, maybe I could get some masternuggets of advice in lieu of Masterneuts for the AZ Trade. ;).

My take is that this is a very good move for Cahill in the win column. The NL West is an odd division with a lot of variables so not completely sure how that shakes out. The loss of the DH and the rangers could help the guy though. I was expecting a bounceback this year anyway. The only thing worrying me is home ballpark although last year his Home/Away splits were much improved.
BB / K '11 Vs. 09'/10' '09/'10 ERA '11 ERA
48 73 67/120 <-Home Although results did not follow Home->165.2 IP/81 ER (4.9ERA) (H) 3.2
34 74 68/88 <-Away due to hits and HR Away-> 209.2/76 ER (2.75 ERA) (A) 5.2
(More Hits and HR/IP away in '11)

Although his result splits are pretty different, (3.3 v 4.7 H/A) I feel like his raw skills point to an era somewhere in between. And for such a young guy with improving BB/K numbers I don't see a dramatic shift when moving to such a WEAK hitting division (food for thought: AZ had 4.5 Runs scored/G, while NL west avg including AZ was 4.0).
Also, with a nice young core of hitters in Arizona I can't imagine wins wouldn't be improved (perhaps not 18 again though, but maybe).
The park factor is not as different as I had expected. 99 V 103 in AZ (colorado, to take an extreme example is 117).

I'm an Oakland Fan so perhaps I'm a bit biased toward Cahill and they got a nice haul with parker and Cowgill.
Storrs City Chess Company

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Masterneuts not working with Cahill

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

unfortunately, you can't have the same player listed twice, as the function that captures the team will use the first team listed in the calculation and present that as the results for any subsequent listing of the same player, regardless of the team. You have to jot down the projection, then change the team.

The ERA/WHIP for Arizona is now 4.344/1.386 as compared to 3.897/1.328 for Oakland.

With respect to considering wins in the evaluation, one can use as much intuitive, anecdotal and even hard data they want - it is a waste of time. Wins are too fickle. Buy the skills and let the wins fall where they may. Some guy named Shandler is putting two daughters through college based primarily on that credo. Well, that's a bit of hyperbole, sorry Ron 8-)

The point is, put your blood, sweat and tears into deciding how you think the move will impact him skills-wise.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord