Closers for 2018

An exclusive forum for Platinum Subscribers

Moderator: Mastersball Staff

special k
Major League Veteran

Closers for 2018

#1 Post by special k » September 9th, 2017, 8:21 am

During a rash of recent pitching injuries to my team in an AL-only traditional 5x5 league with saves as a category, I managed to snipe Treinen, Belisle, Minaya and Bedrosian as free agents. The first three seem to be closers, although Minaya is fraying, to say the least. Bedrosian closed successfully a couple games, then got bumped. Treinen and Belisle have had hiccups, for sure, but have held the job.
The question is do any of the four have any chance of holding the job in 2018? I can keep them in the auction next spring for $5 if they do, but also have to make decisions on whether to keep them or pitchers returning to health.
Any insights, please?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Closers for 2018

#2 Post by Todd Zola » September 9th, 2017, 8:46 am

Bedrosian is the only one I'd consider keeping at $5.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: NL and AL 4x4 Only Ultra Keeper Auctions

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 » September 9th, 2017, 9:47 am

Fun little exercise ....look how many pitchers ended 2016 as a closer, then find out three things;
  • How many of those pitchers began 2017 as a closer?
  • Of those, how many started as a closer in 2017 for the same team they ended as closer in 2016?
  • Of the four closers you mentioned, how many of those teams GMs honestly think their closer situation in ONE problem they don't have to address in the offseason?
I personally don't give much weight to September stats.Three weeks ago, pundits declared the Royals back from the dead; The Tigers have thrown every towel they have; The METS??? White Sox, Reds, Pirates?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
"There is this incredible desire in the fantasy baseball/football/other world to create something out of nothing,
to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

special k
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by special k » September 9th, 2017, 1:47 pm

At least these bums have helped me to a 15.5-point lead despite injuries to Keuchel, Paxton, Shoemaker and Darvish...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola » September 9th, 2017, 2:16 pm

special k wrote:At least these bums have helped me to a 15.5-point lead despite injuries to Keuchel, Paxton, Shoemaker and Darvish...
This unto itself helps answer the question. You obviously have a knack for falling into saves. It's not just the player and the price, it's the opportunity cost of using a keeper spot on a position you can supplement in season.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: NL and AL 4x4 Only Ultra Keeper Auctions

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 » September 9th, 2017, 3:08 pm

special k wrote:At least these bums have helped me to a 15.5-point lead despite injuries to Keuchel, Paxton, Shoemaker and Darvish...
Congratulations on your current lead. What that has to do with the status of any of those players for 2018 I don't get but one shouldn't argue with results.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
"There is this incredible desire in the fantasy baseball/football/other world to create something out of nothing,
to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10