Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently September 20th, 2017, 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Closers for 2018
PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 8:21 am 
Major League Veteran

During a rash of recent pitching injuries to my team in an AL-only traditional 5x5 league with saves as a category, I managed to snipe Treinen, Belisle, Minaya and Bedrosian as free agents. The first three seem to be closers, although Minaya is fraying, to say the least. Bedrosian closed successfully a couple games, then got bumped. Treinen and Belisle have had hiccups, for sure, but have held the job.
The question is do any of the four have any chance of holding the job in 2018? I can keep them in the auction next spring for $5 if they do, but also have to make decisions on whether to keep them or pitchers returning to health.
Any insights, please?

Post subject: Re: Closers for 2018
PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 8:46 am 
Hall of Famer

Bedrosian is the only one I'd consider keeping at $5.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 9:47 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 4x4 Ultra Onlys Keeper Auctions
Fun little exercise ....look how many pitchers ended 2016 as a closer, then find out three things;
  • How many of those pitchers began 2017 as a closer?
  • Of those, how many started as a closer in 2017 for the same team they ended as closer in 2016?
  • Of the four closers you mentioned, how many of those teams GMs honestly think their closer situation in ONE problem they don't have to address in the offseason?

I personally don't give much weight to September stats.Three weeks ago, pundits declared the Royals back from the dead; The Tigers have thrown every towel they have; The METS??? White Sox, Reds, Pirates?

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 1:47 pm 
Major League Veteran

At least these bums have helped me to a 15.5-point lead despite injuries to Keuchel, Paxton, Shoemaker and Darvish...

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 2:16 pm 
Hall of Famer

special k wrote:
At least these bums have helped me to a 15.5-point lead despite injuries to Keuchel, Paxton, Shoemaker and Darvish...

This unto itself helps answer the question. You obviously have a knack for falling into saves. It's not just the player and the price, it's the opportunity cost of using a keeper spot on a position you can supplement in season.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 3:08 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 4x4 Ultra Onlys Keeper Auctions
special k wrote:
Congratulations on your current lead. What that has to do with the status of any of those players for 2018 I don't get but one shouldn't argue with results.

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10