Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/functions_content.php on line 661

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/functions_content.php on line 661

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/creative/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3729: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3731: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3732: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3733: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Mastersball Fantasy Forum • View topic - Nunez and this week's FAAB

Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nunez and this week's FAAB
PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 7:27 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NL and AL 4x4 Only Ultra Keeper Auctions
OK ...Swarzak's gone and Street looks more and more like a zombie so I think I'll just stand pat with Osuna and pray ... tied with one guy at 30 saves, next is 37, behind is 16. I get Keuchel back for next week. But the question here is FAAB ... Nunez. Our FAAB budget is 200 per franchise. I'm in first place. My 3B is Headley; Mancini and Smoak are my other two CI I need BA and some steals because the wheels seem to haye fallen off the Mookie/Mallex/Dozier trucking firm.

The guy in 2nd only has 15 unit to play with so he's no threat ... i see two guys with more FAAB than me ... one is 12 points back (pain in the ass commissioner brother) one 14 back. 12 back has Abreu, Sano, Encarnacion, 14 back has Napoli, Seager and Gurriel. I know Nunez qualifies in the OF but I can't take all of that into consideration. to me, with 124 FAAB, Nunez is more important to me than to the other two but they have more FAAB. Our trade deadline is August 6 but I catch one break with the MLB deadline falling on Monday - hoping they hold FAAB back in case a big name comes over to the AL that Monday.

62 units sound like I'm in the ballpark with my bid? Yeah...I know ...read line 2 in my signature ...I think I'm just look for sounding boards in a fluent situation. Don't want to get TOO close to this and miss something obvious (btw, I see Boston wants him to be more of a util guy ... but I'm also concerned how well he fits in with Brock Holt).

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

Post subject: Re: Nunez and this week's FAAB
PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 7:49 am 
Hall of Famer

I'd put his playing time at about 50 percent, unless Devers can't hit a lick. I think part of the reason for Nunez is Bogaerts is either still hurt, ill or both and he can slide over to SS as well as play the soft side of a platoon with Devers. I also see him as a Holt hedge in case Holt has more issues with vertigo, something knows to recur.

No idea how this relates to a bid. In general, if a 50 percent Nunez is enough to compete, I'm getting him. If I need more, I hold out for more - figuring I'm not going to win with Nunez anyway. Sounds like you're closer to the former.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 1:03 pm 
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the viewpoint, Todd ...seriously thinking about scaling the bid back ... for quick frame of reference, in our NL league, J.D. went for 61 - Doolittle went for 42 and Madson 26 ...the latter two to the same guy (and he's in 2nd - so most he can get out of that is a point).

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 12:03 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions
Kid....this goes back to the second line in your signature.....how aggressive have these two owners been in bidding for FA's? This should help frame your bid. You seem to want Nunez more for SBs, right? Boston is 4th in the AL in SBs but Mookie is carrying the load. How many points does a 10 SB Nunez get you? Does keeping him off the other two rosters improve your chances of winning?

I really don't have a feel for how much you should bid but if you are only meh on getting Nunez then don't bid aggressively. On the other hand if it solidifies your 1st place ranking and you don't think there will be much help coming over from the NL then your original thinking of 62 units seems more logical.

C - Sanchez $4
1B/3B - C. Santana $14, Bird $1
2B/SS - Dozier $34, M. Gonzalez $1, Gregorius $9
OF - Trout $53, Mancini $9, Haniger $10, T. Hernandez $1
UT -
SP - Kluber $35, McHugh $3, Montgomery $5
RP - Brach $4, Treinen $1, Green $1,
Bench - Rodon $3, Nate Jones $1, Kipnis $12, Beckham $3

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 12:19 pm 
Hall of Famer

Gotta say, recent reports from Boston put playing time as a near regular. Not sure where things will land. Another way to look at it, regardless of playing time, Nunez could be the top choice for SB help of available players so if that's a need, he could be the guy to target.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 2:30 pm 
Hall of Famer

See, recent events have put me in a conundrum ... I can use the SB's but what I really could use is BA. Now, Chase Headley has picked a nice time to wake up for me. As of today, I'm 2nd in SB with 81 ...chasing 103 and 76 chasing me ...I'd like to stay there but the gap between me and the third place SB team has been shrinking over the last few weeks. I know I'm not catching first and I know 4th is 15 behind so I'm not concerned there. The BA needs pumping and I'm starting to drop BA points (down to .2556 and I need 3.5 additional to get back into it) ...hence Nunez. The guys I mentioned have been more conservative that I regarding FAAB ...the fact they have more units than I do is a clear indicator. And, with all due respect to another WRBL owner who I know reads these boards, here is what has happened in the past;

• Many guys wait until the MLB deadline and shoot the moon with their money
  • That deadline is on Monday ....but FAAB runs Monday morning.
  • Our unrestricted trade deadline is August 6.
  • So, if no big deal is made by FAAB time (approx 2:00 a.m., Monday morning), they may hold their money waiting for a big name to cross leagues before 4:00 p.m. Monday.

If they do THAT, i should be golden and they should be screwed. And what's this about unrestricted? After August 6 until the first Monday in September, you can only trade with the teams directly above you and below you in the standings. Tough to do business if you're both looking for the same thing.

I'm seeing Holt is not faring too well lately so my concerns there are dissipating. Thanks for the updates, gents ...let you know how it works out.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: July 30th, 2017, 10:56 am 
Low-A

I have no doubt that Nunez is and will be an everyday player and am surprised it is not a universal opinion. I know this is a pretty strong statement but, with his skill and versatility, I'm pretty confident.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2017, 11:55 am 
Hall of Famer

saveless wrote:
I have no doubt that Nunez is and will be an everyday player and am surprised it is not a universal opinion. I know this is a pretty strong statement but, with his skill and versatility, I'm pretty confident.

It may very well be ...but where is that position? Who sits out of these six; Pedroia, Bradley Jr. Benetendi, Bogie, Mookie, Devers? Smart money says Devers if he doesn't produce offensively ...but what if he does? That's why it's not a universal opinion.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: July 30th, 2017, 9:35 pm 
Low-A

Maybe they all get a day off per week. Maybe he plays for whoever isn't hitting. I just believe he starts five or more days per week.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 5:21 am 
Hall of Famer

The three bombs in two games scared me .... was down to 27 before that but went up to 54 to get him.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10