A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently October 24th, 2017, 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: End game question in an AL Only 4x4 pitching
PostPosted: July 14th, 2017, 11:39 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 4x4 Ultra Onlys Keeper Auctions
OK ...old school 4x4 $260 auction AL only ... current starters - Faria (29 FA), Mc Cullers (12 2), Ervin Santana (1 1), Peacock (9 FA) - others Devenski, Mike Minor, Madson, Osuna, Shreve. Keuchel is on the bench. i have 42 out of a possible 48 pitching points. Two questions;

• I have 51 wins and I'm 9 wins ahead of my closest competitor - barring injuries or someone falling of a cliff ...am I going to get caught in wins or is this race already pretty much over and am I just waiting for the final gun?
  • One of those runner ups just lost Pineda - they already have Tanaka, but they also have a 30 unit Cody Allen in his first year. Saves are the one category I don't top. Now I realize this is a big IF - but if Keuchel comes back, could I risk trying to trade Mc Cullers for Allen? I'm at 26 and in 7th in saves ... ahead is 28,35, 36, 36, 37, 38. Guess what I'm really asking is Cody Allen a plus 10 in saves for me the rest of the year ...all things being equal.

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

Post subject: Re: End game question in an AL Only 4x4 pitching
PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 12:16 am 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions
Tough question. How is your luck running this year?

On the one hand McCullers is always an injury risk but as you know when healthy he's a borderline #1 while on the other hand Allen isn't closing on a regular basis. Since June 11th he has 2 saves. Have no idea how long Francona sticks with the current roles in order to preserve Miller. If you know then that'll answer your question for you. Do any of those above you have only 1 closer? If so, you might be able to pass them but I'm not that confident Allen will bring you to the promised land of netting you 10 save points. Any chance you can get Kahnle or Kela via FAAB or trade? Maybe even Hunter or Boxberger.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as my pitching insights this year have sucked royally. Just not my year to figure out pitching.

C - Sanchez $4
1B/3B - C. Santana $14, Bird $1
2B/SS - Dozier $34, M. Gonzalez $1, Gregorius $9
OF - Trout $53, Mancini $9, Haniger $10, T. Hernandez $1
UT -
SP - Kluber $35, McHugh $3, Montgomery $5
RP - Brach $4, Treinen $1, Green $1,
Bench - Rodon $3, Nate Jones $1, Kipnis $12, Beckham $3

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 6:27 am 
Hall of Famer

As for luck, I've managed to trade for Cruz, Holliday, Pujols, Aoki, Pedroia and Mancini without having to give up an arm (Thank you White Sox for signing Luis Robert). The others all have two closers ...was hoping Street was going to be my 2nd, but we all know how that's working. And the other guys you mentioned are all spoken for .... I have one other hope ... Oakland trades Casilla who's real cheap by closer standards these days.

Thanks for the advice ..time to do a little more research.

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 12:14 pm 
Hall of Famer

OK ... scratch one hope.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 1:47 pm 
Major League Elite

You referring to Madson going to the Nats? If so, I can see he and Doolittle sharing the gig and with Madson the righty he may be the preferred option more often than not. I think he's in a better spot now than staying in Oakland.

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 8:39 pm 
Hall of Famer

CubFan wrote:
You referring to Madson going to the Nats? If so, I can see he and Doolittle sharing the gig and with Madson the righty he may be the preferred option more often than not. I think he's in a better spot now than staying in Oakland.
Might be ...but I'm in the same boat as you are, matey ... AL only. Does me no good.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 11:38 am 
Major League Elite

We're in different boats. We get to keep the stats of anyone traded to the NL as long as they stay on your active roster. We debated that many moons ago and have not changed. Sucks for those playing in leagues which don't allow for that.

On a different note....is Givens available? Can't remember where I read it but the O's have said they'd make Britton, Brach and O'Day available if they opt to sell. But not Givens. Hmmm.

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 1:18 pm 
Hall of Famer

No such luck ... a 12 team AL only 40 man Ultra doesn't allow for much talent that hasn't already been scarfed up. Thanks for the nomination, though.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 5:36 am 
Hall of Famer

Early Christmas present ...two months ago I FAAB'ed Swarzak for 2 units.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10