Mastersball Fantasy Forum
http://forum.mastersball.com/

Trading for Trout straw-man scenario
http://forum.mastersball.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7090
Page 9 of 10

Author:  CubFan [ September 11th, 2017, 9:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

Playoff UPDATE - since I've gone on this long might as well finish my story. Made it to the semis. If I don't make the finals I'd be playing for 3rd place next week. Payouts are made to all 4 semi-finalists. And of course I still have Trout. May be riding this horse to the finish line as "kid" theoried. Hindsight being 20-20, with Trout's poor stats these past 2 weeks I could have dropped him without it affecting the results.....but dunno if I would have ever gotten him back.

I grudgingly spent $1 of FAAB on Teoscar Hernandez and reserved Bird as he's been struggling the last 2 weeks while Frazier and Headley have seen more playing time at his expense. He's got some pop/speed and Gibbons says he wants to see what the kid can do for 2018 purposes. So, I'm at $48 of FAAB left. Owners D($57) and C($33) did not spend anything. Figured if my goal, other than winning a championship, was to get Trout back for no more than 46 or 47 might as well spend a buck on a player if it could help me. Leake went for $4 so wouldn't have gotten him. Albers was available as was Francisco Mejia, Yandy Diaz , Hays and Renato Nunez. Mejia is now gone but the others are still available.

If Owner D is wanting to drop Donaldson (current salary $44) ala Trout, as "kid" thinks he might be wanting to do, he'll have to do it this coming Sunday as it's the last day to drop a player and be able to bid on him the following Sunday.

Likely will be needing some suggestions from everyone next weekend, regardless if I drop Trout or not.

Author:  da_big_kid_94 [ September 11th, 2017, 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

First, congratulations on making the semis. Now, will you know the result of your semi final matchup before the drop deadline on next Sunday? If the answer is yes, then in order to drop Trout, you would have to know if you've already lost. That is the only way you can drop Trout next Sunday. If you win or if the drop period deadline expires before the final results are known, you're stuck with him.

Author:  CubFan [ September 11th, 2017, 10:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
First, congratulations on making the semis. Now, will you know the result of your semi final matchup before the drop deadline on next Sunday? If the answer is yes, then in order to drop Trout, you would have to know if you've already lost. That is the only way you can drop Trout next Sunday. If you win or if the drop period deadline expires before the final results are known, you're stuck with him.


Thanks. Our tranny deadline is 9 pm CDT Sunday. As long as the Sunday night game has no impact on my H2H matchup I'll know if I advance or not before the tranny deadline. If I'm fortunate to move on to the finals I'll be looking to p/u two players for my bench for 2018 purposes.....like some DL'd pitchers (Rodon, Shoemaker, Triggs, Alex Meyer, Nate Jones) and a couple of speculative bats. If I'm playing for 3rd place I may go ahead and drop Trout. 3rd pays out 18% of pot and 4th 12%. The latter is just a bit more than our entry fee. And we also pay out from a seperate pool to the 1st and 2nd place finishers in standard 5x5 roto.

Author:  da_big_kid_94 [ September 11th, 2017, 11:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

CubFan wrote:
If I'm playing for 3rd place I may go ahead and drop Trout. 3rd pays out 18% of pot and 4th 12%. The latter is just a bit more than our entry fee. And we also pay out from a seperate pool to the 1st and 2nd place finishers in standard 5x5 roto.


IMHO, you can't do that. If you did, I would scream to high heaven were I in your league and I'd guarantee you would not see me in 2018. What the payments are isn't relevant. But, if I thought an owner was not putting forth his best efforts to win in your league's playoffs just to try and get Trout for 2018 while still playing out the 2017 season (the word would be tanking), I'd be pissed ... then compound it by thinking of dropping the best player in base ball during those playoffs?

You have to do what you have to do ... but if I were to witness this, I might just look at this and wonder what else you are capable of doing if you aren't concerned about appearances..

Author:  CubFan [ September 11th, 2017, 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
IMHO, you can't do that. If you did, I would scream to high heaven were I in your league and I'd guarantee you would not see me in 2018. What the payments are isn't relevant. But, if I thought an owner was not putting forth his best efforts to win in your league's playoffs just to try and get Trout for 2018 while still playing out the 2017 season (the word would be tanking), I'd be pissed ... then compound it by thinking of dropping the best player in base ball during those playoffs?

You have to do what you have to do ... but if I were to witness this, I might just look at this and wonder what else you are capable of doing if you aren't concerned about appearances..


Ouch! I guess I can see your point. Hadn't given that line of thinking a thought. Have never tanked a season, although how can one say that if you made it into the playoffs, nor put out my best lineup each week. Maybe I've been too caught up with my original plan starting back when my season looked so bleak back in early July.

Author:  da_big_kid_94 [ September 13th, 2017, 3:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

CubFan wrote:
Ouch! I guess I can see your point. Hadn't given that line of thinking a thought. Have never tanked a season, although how can one say that if you made it into the playoffs, nor put out my best lineup each week. Maybe I've been too caught up with my original plan starting back when my season looked so bleak back in early July.

You are just being true to your nature ... another one of those situations you occasionally find yourself in. However, as to your point, how would you justify waiving Trout as long as you are still in your 2017 league playoffs? It's akin to saying I made the playoffs and I didn't expect to, the rest of the season doesn't matter, I'm focusing on 2018 now. If you don't keep Trout while still in contention for the 2017 championship, then don't you really have to ask yourself why you are doing this? Again, good luck with whatever you choose to do but one possible way of viewing this is a possible 5 unit reduction in salary and an extra year of Trout (of which there is no guarantee of it happening) in exchange for it looking like you are throwing in the towel on an active playoff team.

Author:  CubFan [ September 14th, 2017, 12:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
......If you don't keep Trout while still in contention for the 2017 championship, then don't you really have to ask yourself why you are doing this? Again, good luck with whatever you choose to do but one possible way of viewing this is a possible 5 unit reduction in salary and an extra year of Trout (of which there is no guarantee of it happening) in exchange for it looking like you are throwing in the towel on an active playoff team.


This part of your response suggests we may not be on the same wavelength. Of course I'm keeping Trout if I'm still in contention for the championship. It never crossed my mind to drop him if I were fortunate to play for all the marbles. I just had a thought that if I lost in the semis this week and was playing for 3rd place that I might be inclined to drop Trout and then hopefully pick him up cheaper the following week. They say flags fly forever, but I don't think they meant 3rd place flags, if there is even such a thing.

Heck, with the way our league now values SP maybe I should protect Kluber at $35 next year and hoard my low priced hitters like Sanchez, Gregorius, Marwin Gonzalez, Beckham, Mancini, Kepler, Bird? and maybe Teoscar Hernandez, not to mention a $1 Treinen and $3 McHugh or $5 Montgomery.

Author:  da_big_kid_94 [ September 14th, 2017, 10:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

Now I understand your point much better ..the only way you release Trout is if you lose this round of the playoffs. My misinterpretation and apologies.

Author:  CubFan [ September 14th, 2017, 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

Just glad it's straightened out as I thought I had ticked you off with one of my Trout scenarios. Value everyone's opinion as I learned many years ago in the weather biz that you can't be so proud of relying on just your own knowledge.....and I guess that goes for just about any profession.

Author:  CubFan [ September 18th, 2017, 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario

And so my 3 month quest to drop Trout and try to get him back in the 40s ends. But it's a good thing as I can't drop him since I made it to the championship. Go figure.

Next Sunday is the last day to pick up players and Owners D and C made no moves, so Owner D didn't drop Donaldson. We'll never know if I could have slipped Trout through. As an aside the Kipnis owner (he had him for $18) dropped him so he's available this Sunday. That owner has $11 FAAB left plus 3 other owners besides me have more than that. So, I'll take a shot at him. If I get him I'll just throw him on my bench. Question is how much to bid for a guy who has had injury issues the last 2 years.

Page 9 of 10 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/