Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently November 24th, 2017, 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario
PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 10:23 am 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions
da_big_kid_94 wrote:
IF there's another owner.

There was and he got Salazar $20 and Bud Norris $4 for Felix $22, Herrera $3 and Dozier $1. The new Herrera owner is a huge Royal's fan and the Ramirez owner used that to his advantage.

So, now I wait to see if Owner D bids meaningful $$ on anyone over the next few weeks, like Bruce.

Timing of when to drop Trout will continue to be THE challenge, even if owner D spends down his FAAB, as I'll need Trout's bat competing for the last playoff spot. First week of playoffs starts 9/4. Last Sunday to pick up a player is 9/24 so the latest I could drop him is 9/17. If I don't make the playoffs I'll probably drop him 9/4 and hope owner D has turned his attention to the football season.

On a slightly different note would you throw $1 at Belisle or Andriese to bolster my pitching to help my playoff chances? See signature for my roster. I'd then have $48 left to owner D's current $57....or just sit tight? My rationale is does my one less unit make owner D more willing to go after Trout. Guess I could ask him ;)

C - Sanchez $4
1B/3B - C. Santana $14, Bird $1
2B/SS - Dozier $34, M. Gonzalez $1, Gregorius $9
OF - Trout $53, Mancini $9, Haniger $10, T. Hernandez $1
UT -
SP - Kluber $35, McHugh $3, Montgomery $5
RP - Brach $4, Treinen $1, Green $1,
Bench - Rodon $3, Nate Jones $1, Kipnis $12, Beckham $3

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 11:41 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 4x4 Ultra Onlys Keeper Auctions
Be lisle may only be good for two more weeks if Perkins continues rehabbing well. What if you lost Trout by making an insignificant Bid?

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 3:01 pm 
Major League Elite

11th hour......Ramirez owner has come calling again. Lowered his asking price some (Trout is out of the discussion). Here is his offer:

Price $18
Gordon $20
Mallex Smith $22
Ramirez $5 (the main prize)
Leclerc $2

I give up.....Dozier $34, Kluber $35, Kepler $1 and McHugh $3

If I do this trade I'm effectively playing for next year. However, as of this writing I still have a shot at the playoffs and would need Kluber. And I'd counter by taking McHugh and Leclerc out. FWIW I was going to protect Kepler for one year at $6.

In a different deal I'm considering I'd send my Seagar (signed to a contract thru 2018 at $23. If I don't deal him he would have to be one of my keepers) for Todd Frazier $22 and Treinen $1. The logic here is adding a low end closer to compete with the big boys should I make it into the playoffs. Frazier of course is a BA sink but should put up similar power #s as Seagar ROS.

Thoughts?

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 9:09 pm 
Hall of Famer

Take the deal. You were playing for next year when you traded for Trout. Now you still get to try the Trout ploy and you get Ramirez to boot ? Don't get greedy.

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 12:51 pm 
Major League Elite

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
Take the deal. You were playing for next year when you traded for Trout. Now you still get to try the Trout ploy and you get Ramirez to boot ? Don't get greedy.

You're partly right. At the time of the Trout trade I thought I could still compete. When I lost 4 of the next 6 H2H matches I switched gears. But just like the Royals who are so streaky I won the last 3 and put myself back into playoff consideration. Very tight race. One game out with five owners vying for last 3 spots.

I waited till the 11th hour (9 pm trade deadline) and opted to stay the course when I couldn't trade for Sale. There was a flurry of trades made by an owner which was posted at 8 pm. He dumped several of his high dollared guys, including Sale. I had been trying to trade for Sale so that I could make my trade with the Ramirez owner. You may end up being right that I was too greedy. BTW, your post didn't show up till after our trade deadline. Dunno how much influence it would have made had I seen it earlier. Need to put you on retainer so I can call you at a moments notice. :lol:

As for the Bruce pick up.....&*$^&#$%. An owner who I didn't think had a use for Bruce snagged him for $13. Owner D, you know the one with the hammer, bid $12. &%#$@%^ When I asked the new Bruce owner why, he said he wanted to stay competitive for the lower division playoffs (winner gets their entry fee back). Had Owner D got him he would have been down to 45 units. &%#&$*#& As is, he currently has $57.

Stay tuned for the next chapter.

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 9:02 pm 
Hall of Famer

Then there isn't all that much left to say ...good luck with everything.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 10:29 pm 
Major League Elite

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
..... The reason someone may suspect is because he's CubFan. Sound simplistic? Allow me to explain; He and I have had numerous discussions over the years about his penchant for trying to serve two masters simultaneously ..He likes to have his cake and eat it too ... and he freely admits to doing it consciously. ...now if I know this and I picked it up just from our conversations on these boards, it seems that people who have been playing in this league for a while and who have had more interaction with him that I, will know about the trait as well. With THAT in mind, how does he explain the Trout pick up at the salary he picked him up at to his league mates? Does he need him for this year ...as he said, trying to squeeze into the last 2017 playoff spot ... so, no ...not really. Does he want him for next year? Oh yes ... but at 45 units ...not 50 or more. So, if he picks him up, but doesn't trade him by Sunday ...what's left as alternatives?

In his case, it's not so much trading FAAB but getting the total salary under the 310 unit hard cap. 50 units screw him ... but this owner D can go 50 and not break a sweat fitting Trout under the cap for 2018 ... and if Trout's still on CubFan's roster on Monday? it is what the philosophers call a delicate situation.

The jig is up. Kid was right. One of the owners figured things out today. He's the Ramirez owner, probably the most astute in the league. I've always wondered why I'm not good at poker. :lol: Of course I've denied it. Wonder if the Ramirez owner frequents this board?

All I can do is bide my time now and hope Owner D spends down or I hold onto Trout because I'm in the playoffs. BTW, the Ramirez owner also believes Owner D is doing the same with his $44 Donaldson.

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 7:26 am 
Hall of Famer

No, now you are totally screwed IMHO. Because if the Ramirez owner knows about Trout ...and told YOU about Donaldson ... what makes you think he didn't tell the Donaldson owner about Trout? And now all owner D has to do is wait you out. Trout over Donaldson should take very little thought on his part.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 10:20 am 
Major League Elite

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
No, now you are totally screwed IMHO. Because if the Ramirez owner knows about Trout ...and told YOU about Donaldson ... what makes you think he didn't tell the Donaldson owner about Trout? And now all owner D has to do is wait you out. Trout over Donaldson should take very little thought on his part.

Can't argue against what you said. But then I ask myself why did he bid $12 on Bruce, knowing that he'd end up with less FAAB than me?

With the Sep roster expansion coming up it'll be interesting to see if Owner D bids on anyone. Some good names for 2018: Honeywell, Chance Adams (a Yankee...Owner D likes to get), Willy Adames, Calhoun and Candalerio. Other names who may be worth a $1 or $2 bid include Shoemaker, Richards, Triggs, Alex Meyer, Smyly, Nate Jones, Tilson, Fowler, Matt Duffy. Even for this year Bedrosian and Andriesse are available.

Hey I can hope can't I?

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 1:08 pm 
Hall of Famer

CubFan wrote:

Can't argue against what you said. But then I ask myself why did he bid $12 on Bruce, knowing that he'd end up with less FAAB than me?

He didn't know then what he might know now?

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next