Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently October 24th, 2017, 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trading for Trout straw-man scenario
PostPosted: September 18th, 2017, 1:12 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 4x4 Ultra Onlys Keeper Auctions
Well ...congratulations ....I think. As for Kipnis ...what are your position eligibility rules for next year? And I would not classify anyone who played 151 games at 2nd last year as injury prone. Since 2011, save for this year, there's only one year he's failed to play at least 130 games and that's 2014 (missed it by one).

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 12:30 am 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions
Thanks....I think :lol:

Need to play 10 games at a position in the previous year. So, he has a chance to qualify at 2B and OF for 2018. As for injuries, he seems to play through more than most.

Care to throw out a number as to what you'd bid for him. You've probably memorized this by now but I play in a 12 team 5x5 AL only H2H keeper league. We can protect a max of 8. $260 team salary on auction day. If he can post 2016 numbers again he's worth his previous salary of $18. I was thinking high single digits but if I wanted to ensure his previous owner who has $11 left doesn't get him I'd have to spend $12. Oh, and to make things more interesting Willie Calhoun is still on the wire. He's been there since day 1. I guess no one thinks he's going to start the season in the Bigs. That plus 5 owners have no $$ left.

Possible keepers for the previous Kipnis owner (salary/# years is for players who must be extended in order to protect)....
Ramos $1
Davidson $2
Eduardo Escobar $1
Smoak $3
Benintendi $17/1 year or $22/2 years
Kris Davis $23
Souza $10
Bradley $11
Zimmer $16
Diaz $7
Austin Hays $2 (he dropped Kipnis for him)
Matt Duffy $1

As for me....
Sanchez $9/1 year or $14/2 years.....could go $19/3 years
Marwin Gonzalez $1
Gregorius $9
Beckham $3
Mancini $9
Bird $6/1 year
Teoscar Hernandez $1
Kluber $35 (only reason to keep him is he's 1 of 2 or 3 elite SPs and would make a great foundation to build around)
Montgomery $5
McHugh $3
Carlos Rodon $3
Kepler $6/1 year
Treinen $1

C - Sanchez $4
1B/3B - C. Santana $14, Bird $1
2B/SS - Dozier $34, M. Gonzalez $1, Gregorius $9
OF - Trout $53, Mancini $9, Haniger $10, T. Hernandez $1
UT -
SP - Kluber $35, McHugh $3, Montgomery $5
RP - Brach $4, Treinen $1, Green $1,
Bench - Rodon $3, Nate Jones $1, Kipnis $12, Beckham $3

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 2:28 pm 
Hall of Famer

Congratulations for making the championship round ... ain't playin' one season at a time a hoot? I'd throw 15 units at him IF he qualified at OF for 2018 ...10 games? No chance. I'd go 12. Single digits for 2018 - not in your or my lifetime. This off season I'd would do my very best to trade Marwin. He has career year written all over him and you would most likely to get some real value for him at a cheap price....especially when one considers he got a lot of PT because Carrea was hurt.

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 10:05 am 
Major League Elite

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
Congratulations for making the championship round ... ain't playin' one season at a time a hoot? I'd throw 15 units at him IF he qualified at OF for 2018 ...10 games? No chance. I'd go 12. Single digits for 2018 - not in your or my lifetime. This off season I'd would do my very best to trade Marwin. He has career year written all over him and you would most likely to get some real value for him at a cheap price....especially when one considers he got a lot of PT because Carrea was hurt.

While there is no denying it's a ton of fun playing one season at a time and for some weird reason my DNA wont let me :lol: I think having a bench in a keeper league affords one the latitude of looking ahead a bit......if you can afford that luxury, i.e. injuries aren't decimating your active roster.

As for Kipnis....he's at 3 games in the OF and in a very recent interview Francona stated expect to see Kipnis play alot of games in CF rest of season. So it's almost a certainty he'll be 2B/OF eligible next year. 5 owners have zero FAAB, 2 owners $1, the previous Kipnis owner ($11), two $32 owners, me and then owner D. Thinking the $11 owner wants him back ala me trying to get Trout at a discount. Listed his potential keepers earlier and he's got a bunch in the single digits. I figure he'll want Kipnis in the single digits. Of course $12 bests his max bid. Other question is how much would the other 3 want him for? Teens? Probably not. Single digits, sure. So my reasoning is bid $12 or $9.

Marwin.....agree he has career year written all over.....and so do a bunch of guys as "Homers R Us" became the mantra this year. You think Beckham also has had a career year? Possible targets.....$3 Olson, $12 Devers (kinda pricey), $16 Bregman, $3 Smoak, $5 Severino (will take more than just Marwin as his owner is a Yankee fan), JD Martinez $21 (if he lands back in the AL), Hicks $1, Bundy $2, Diaz $7, Moustakas $13, JOSE RAMIREZ (remember him :D ), Buxton $12, Cron $3, Rosario $9.

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 2:14 pm 
Hall of Famer

I don't disagree with you about planning benches for following seasons. At this year's auction draft, one owner was shocked to find Shohei Otani was ineligible to be drafted because he had been kept from last year. And he thought he was pulling a fast one ...silly boy. And if I win this year, Luis Robert will be one of the reasons I do.

But first, do I believe Tito? Nope. Until the home field between the Indians and Astros is settled, these games mean something. And you're gonna pick THIS situation to say ; "Hey Kippy! Here's a mitt. Lotsa Luck". Don't buy it. I mean, define a lot. There's 11 games left - he needs 7 out of 11 and if he gets hurt out there, they're calling for Tito's head.

As for Gonzalez, I agree - but where is he picking up the PT from in 2018? Every one of the others you mentioned already have jobs going into 2018 except for Hicks (and I would stay as far away from every current Tiger as I could) ...where's Marwin's? You need someone in your league who values stats over the depth chart. As for Cron ...as a former 3 year owner, take my advice ...bench him until after the All Star Game ...your stomach lining will thank you. And as for Devers ... different sport I realize but if one were to ask , I would bet Dak Robinson and Zeke Elliott are mumbling "Wasn't like this LAST year!".

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 2:46 pm 
Major League Elite

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
But first, do I believe Tito? Nope. Until the home field between the Indians and Astros is settled, these games mean something. And you're gonna pick THIS situation to say ; "Hey Kippy! Here's a mitt. Lotsa Luck". Don't buy it. I mean, define a lot. There's 11 games left - he needs 7 out of 11 and if he gets hurt out there, they're calling for Tito's head.

Read an interesting stat over on another analytic sight that noted a marked drop in the number of balls being hit to the OF this year. On average there have been something like 1.71 balls/game hit to CF due mainly to the high K-rate of Cleveland's staff. There simply aren't that many balls hit to CF compared to other teams. So, it's a calculated risk they're taking. Tito has nowhere else to play Kipnis as he's sticking with the infield set up that won 22 games in row. And to limit any defensive concerns Tito has been subbing Allen in as a defensive replacement late in the game. I think Tito will continue to do this. Hey, you might be right "kid" and Kipnis fails to reach the 10 game mark in the OF this year if home field advantage is determined over the next 7 games.

In edit....I see Kipnis is not starting today. "kid" looking smarter. Gonna be interesting to see if he gets OF eligibility.

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 4:18 pm 
Hall of Famer

CubFan wrote:
Read an interesting stat over on another analytic sight that noted a marked drop in the number of balls being hit to the OF this year. On average there have been something like 1.71 balls/game hit to CF due mainly to the high K-rate of Cleveland's staff. There simply aren't that many balls hit to CF compared to other teams. So, it's a calculated risk they're taking.
Ah, were that it were so. Don't narrow your focus on balls hit to the OF. Look at the overall amount of running an OF has to do ...even when the ball isn't hit out there. Kipnis at 2B either gets the ball or he doesn't. Ball is by him ...off to find a base to cover or head for a cutoff. Turn a force or a DP ..part of the 2B job. But a good OF is running on every ball in play ...especially the CF. Backing up IF. Cutting off gaps ..and keep in mind throws from the OF are a lot different. Even balls hit to left or right, he's moving. Ball hit to third as a 2B. Wait for the next pitch.

It is granted I have a slightly tilted approach towards things. For example, here's something most people tend to ignore; On 9/17/17, The Orioles brought up Tanner Scott from Bowie. And the response should be "Dot's nize. So what?". However, Bowie's last game was September 9. So ...what's he been doing since then? Working out, waiting in a well stocked secret prospect ground? Drinking himself into an early grave? Orioles sending up drones to watch him at his house? Does he get the call and scream, "Honey, break out my bag ...I gotta go back to work! Disney's just gonna have to wait!" It's how I look at some things...especially regarding sports.

- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 9:45 am 
Major League Veteran

Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction
I think one reason Kip's playing time is being limited is that he's coming off of an injury and isn't accustomed to the running outfielders do. So they'll rest him and pull him for defensive purposes. I can't see Greg Allen making the postseason roster so I think they'd like Kipnis to be available in CF to rotate with Austin Jackson, Naquin, Almonte, and Chisenhall who is also injured. No stars in that bunch.

Remember, Cleveland has lost their starting left fielder and center fielder so they'd like to ramp up Kipnis quickly without killing him. I have a question, who would win a tie if you both bid the same amount?

Oh, and congratulations on making it to the championship.

Tampa Bob

OF: K. Davis - N/A, E. Rosario - $1, B. Buxton - $1, M. Trumbo - N/A, G. Springer - N/A
SP: D. Keuchel - N/A, C. Corrasco - N/A, B. Snell - $1, J. Junis - N/A, T. Bauer - $3, P. Bridwell - N/A
RP: K. Giles - N/A, K. Herrera - N/A, C. Bedrosian - N/A
Minors: V. Guerrero, , M. Manning, L. Giolito, J. Lowe, L. Taveras

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 10:14 am 
Major League Elite

Tampa Bob wrote:
I think one reason Kip's playing time is being limited is that he's coming off of an injury and isn't accustomed to the running outfielders do. So they'll rest him and pull him for defensive purposes. I can't see Greg Allen making the postseason roster so I think they'd like Kipnis to be available in CF to rotate with Austin Jackson, Naquin, Almonte, and Chisenhall who is also injured. No stars in that bunch.

Remember, Cleveland has lost their starting left fielder and center fielder so they'd like to ramp up Kipnis quickly without killing him. I have a question, who would win a tie if you both bid the same amount?

Oh, and congratulations on making it to the championship.

Tampa Bob

Thanks TB. If there is a tie on the bids the player goes to the team lowest in the roto standings. We actually play two games.....one H2H and the other roto. Everyone antes up for the H2H while the roto style game is optional to participate in. We held onto the roto game as many in the league wanted to still play it.

C - Sanchez $4
UT -

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 1:57 pm 
Major League Veteran

Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction
I have no idea how I missed the kid's 9/21 post. This is why I'll finish 3rd this year.

OF: K. Davis - N/A, E. Rosario - $1, B. Buxton - $1, M. Trumbo - N/A, G. Springer - N/A
SP: D. Keuchel - N/A, C. Corrasco - N/A, B. Snell - $1, J. Junis - N/A, T. Bauer - $3, P. Bridwell - N/A
RP: K. Giles - N/A, K. Herrera - N/A, C. Bedrosian - N/A
Minors: V. Guerrero, , M. Manning, L. Giolito, J. Lowe, L. Taveras

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next