Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently October 24th, 2017, 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DLitis....how do I fix this SP mess?
PostPosted: May 4th, 2017, 10:13 am 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league with $100 FAAB units (70ish units left). Is there a doctor in the house who can heal my guys? Offense is in triage but just addressing my pitching as my SP is on life support.

I have Kluber and Skaggs on my current active roster and Happ on my reserves leaving me the following....
SP - Musgrove, Chavez, Montgomery
RP - Kahnle, Jones, Brach, Chapman

Available SP FAs....Gallardo, Nick Martinez, Gibson, Petit (swingman?), Richards (on the DL himself)
RPs.....Feliz, Peacock, Warren, Joe Smith, Leclerc, Swarzak

Needless to say my pitching is in "Dire Straits" (que Sultans of Swing.....sorry couldn't resist). With my reserves already full and since Skaggs will be out close to 3 months I can probably drop him. I could drop Revere to open another reserve slot but was going to place Bird (DL) there and activate Revere. Or I could still drop Revere and just take zeros for 2 weeks while Bird mends.

Options (see signature for roster)....
1) hold nose and bid on one of the SPs knowing they could mangle my ratios
2) grab one or two of the RPs.
3) try to trade for a decent SP. Problem with this is many owners don't like to trade this early in the season. There is one owner who has no closers so I could offer Chapman for his $5 Severino but then I have no closers. And is Chapman my only chance of getting a point via saves whereas Severino should get more more Ks but likely not do better than Chapman for my ratios. See any of my hitters who might get me a decent SP?

Or just tread water for a few weeks hoping Kluber's back heals (but we all know back issues tend to linger) and Happ's forearm/elbow woes heal. Starting to get the feeling I could be like the Royals, Giants and Jays and in sell mode in a next month. :cry:

Suggestions appreciated.

C - Sanchez $4
1B/3B - C. Santana $14, Bird $1
2B/SS - Dozier $34, M. Gonzalez $1, Gregorius $9
OF - Trout $53, Mancini $9, Haniger $10, T. Hernandez $1
UT -
SP - Kluber $35, McHugh $3, Montgomery $5
RP - Brach $4, Treinen $1, Green $1,
Bench - Rodon $3, Nate Jones $1, Kipnis $12, Beckham $3

Post subject: Re: DLitis....how do I fix this SP mess?
PostPosted: May 4th, 2017, 10:30 am 
Hall of Famer

Everyone is dealing with injuries and everyone is drawing from the same replacement pool. I personally don't like taking zeroes, I prefer to fill all spots with what I perceive to be the best available (free agents or my reserve) and let the chips fall where they may. Later in the season, I'll play games with pitching, eschewing ratios for wins/Ks or vice versa, if dictated.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: May 4th, 2017, 1:12 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions
Ref "taking zeros".....Well I may have no choice if I want to keep theses players. Nate Jones just went on the DL.

Not looking for sympathy but that gives me 8 players on the DL.... Jones, Kluber, Happ, Skaggs, Bird, Sanchez, Haniger and JD Martinez. We only get 4 reserve spots. So other than dropping Skaggs what does one do other than take some zeros? Surely one can't be dropping any of the above????

PostPosted: May 4th, 2017, 2:07 pm 
Hall of Famer

CubFan wrote:
Ref "taking zeros".....Well I may have no choice if I want to keep theses players. Nate Jones just went on the DL.

Not looking for sympathy but that gives me 8 players on the DL.... Jones, Kluber, Happ, Skaggs, Bird, Sanchez, Haniger and JD Martinez. We only get 4 reserve spots. So other than dropping Skaggs what does one do other than take some zeros? Surely one can't be dropping any of the above????

The zero option likely results in being so far behind when the reinforcements come back it won't matter.

Maybe deal injured players to a team that is fortunate to have space.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord