Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently November 24th, 2017, 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Offseason homework - look ahead or behind?
PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 6:02 pm 
Offline
High-A

Joined: January 16th, 2017, 2:34 am
Posts: 9
Hi Todd - After winning my league in 2016, this season was by far my worst ever. I was 20 points in the basement three weeks into the season and was only able to claw my way up to 8th place because four teams ahead of me stopped trying before the ASB.

I'm looking to do some offseason work to make a better showing in 2018. One place I KNOW I need more practice is my snake draft. Any website you recommend for offseason mock drafts? I spent too much time every preseason ranking players and too little time figuring out how to execute and prepare for a draft. I think I need more practice practice practice as well as learning HOW to adapt mid-draft.

In addition, I'm looking to sharpen my excel skills to better value players for my specific league (7x7 with Ks and walks for hitting and holds and QS for pitching). I could use some step by step help with setting up formals and how best to use the last few years worth of standings. Do you recommend Tanner Bell's book or another resource?

Finally, I was able to trade some players for an extra 4th, 8th, and 10th round pick next year. The way our league works, my first keeper will cost me my 12th round pick, 2nd keeper costs me my 11th round pick, 3rd costs my 10th. What do you think of keeping Moncada, Devers, and Rosario? They effectively become my 12th, 13th and 14th picks because of my early extra draft picks.

Thanks Todd for any help you can offer to help me spend the offseason the right way to get ready for next season. All the best - Iron Condor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Offseason homework - look ahead or behind?
PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 6:52 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: December 25th, 2008, 12:45 pm
Posts: 6049
IronCondor wrote:
Hi Todd - After winning my league in 2016, this season was by far my worst ever. I was 20 points in the basement three weeks into the season and was only able to claw my way up to 8th place because four teams ahead of me stopped trying before the ASB.

I'm looking to do some offseason work to make a better showing in 2018. One place I KNOW I need more practice is my snake draft. Any website you recommend for offseason mock drafts? I spent too much time every preseason ranking players and too little time figuring out how to execute and prepare for a draft. I think I need more practice practice practice as well as learning HOW to adapt mid-draft.


I don't know the quality, but Couch Managers usually run mocks, I believe Fantrax does as well. ESPN does, but not until February.

Quote:
]In addition, I'm looking to sharpen my excel skills to better value players for my specific league (7x7 with Ks and walks for hitting and holds and QS for pitching). I could use some step by step help with setting up formals and how best to use the last few years worth of standings. Do you recommend Tanner Bell's book or another resource?


Sorry, not familiar with the book. There's a platinum essay that describes how to do this. I can't promise immediate support of you use it, but depending on when you catch me, I may be able to offer a hand.

Toggle to the bottom, look for the link to strategy archives, it's valuation methodology, 2010 Guide.

Quote:
Finally, I was able to trade some players for an extra 4th, 8th, and 10th round pick next year. The way our league works, my first keeper will cost me my 12th round pick, 2nd keeper costs me my 11th round pick, 3rd costs my 10th. What do you think of keeping Moncada, Devers, and Rosario? They effectively become my 12th, 13th and 14th picks because of my early extra draft picks.


Can't answer in a vacuum. What are the keeper rules? Who are your other keepers?

Quote:
Thanks Todd for any help you can offer to help me spend the offseason the right way to get ready for next season. All the best - Iron Condor


Initial projections will be available Nov. 1!

_________________
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr