A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently September 19th, 2017, 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Congratulations to Ken Magner
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 6:43 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
A big congratulation to Ken as his Sack Sat II team jumped out early and maintained a solid league for most of the season. When a threat was made in early September, he must have given his guys a pep talk and they responded.

Great Job

Mike

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

Post subject: Re: Congratulations to Ken Magner
PostPosted: October 4th, 2010, 9:41 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
Ken had a magical season here in the Rookie League. He led this thing practically wire-to-wire and gave us all a lesson in how early season FAAB pickups can change the course of a season.

Jose Bautista for $31 in Week 1 (who had the $20 runner up bid? My $5 wasn't even close.) set the tone for the rest of the season. While the dominance of his team sucked some of the intrigue out of the league - it will be fun to go back and look at how he did it.

Congrats also to Todd Easterling who also had a great season in his first venture into the 15 team format. His UK Blue Cats battled til the very end - making Ken sweat it out a bit at the end.

And Tom Breslin got his Frost Heaves team got over 100 points to finish in third.

Congrats also to Brian Oakchunas - one of our other veterans - who likely took home the second half prize with a nice second half. Brian, pm me your address so I can work out your prize details.

I am taking my 5th place finish as a personal victory since I was buried in last place for a couple weeks early on - to battle up to the top 1/3rd was at least a little gratifying.

Thanks to Mike Ladd as my last Vet - for helping get this project off the ground.

Thanks to Todd, Perry, Lawr and the entire Mastersball staff for letting us do this on their site this year. I have to admit - real life intruded on my season a bit this year and I didn't do as much with this project as I had hoped or planned. It underscored how hard the guys who manage and write on sites like these actually work! I hope to do something else next year on the site - but I think I may ask Todd to just be Commissioner of one of his Forum leagues next year - hopefully an auction.

As for the rest of my season it was a tough one for me - all my money teams finished out of it. The best team I had all year was actually my Mastersball Head-to-Head dynasty team - which finished in third place in the season and got to the semi-finals. That team was so much fun this year - since they were a ragtag bunch that somehow surged mid-season. We got knocked out of the playoffs on the last day of the week when we lost the Holds category to the other team - who got a Hold from Mike Gonzalez in a game he lost (got to love that stat). My Troy Tulowitski led squad would have blown away either team the following week - but Third place was our only consolation. This team lifted my fantasy spirits this year and game me a reason to keep on keeping on - and it was a free team only done for fun. A reminder of why we really play this hobby of ours.

Thanks to all the owners who participated - I hope you got something out of the experience. See you in a couple months.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

PostPosted: October 4th, 2010, 11:29 am 
Major Leaguer

Congrats Ken. Total domination. And Todd E, congrats to you as well. Maybe the places would have been reversed if so many times at the draft you hadn't drafted the next guy I was going to pick three places before me ;).

Thanks to the veterans and the other players. I had wanted to play in an NFBC league for a few years now and this was perfect for me. I learned a lot from everyone. It was a lot fun and not as stressful as my AL only, money keeper league with trading. I'm not sure I could justify to myself or my wife the entry fee to The Main Event, but I plan on getting a satellite team or two from now on. Maybe one of those slow drafts. That sounds cool.

Like Ryan, personal and professional responsibilities, as well as a hotly contested battle in that AL only money league this season, prevented me from being as active on this board as I had originally hoped. I felt bad about that and can only hope that my bad form was excused.

Finally, a big THANK YOU to Ryan for shepherding this thing. I remember the day I read Ryan's post over on BBHQ where he laid out the concept for this. I knew immediately that I wanted to be a part of this. I really appreciate your willingness to sacrifice your time and money to make this an excellent learning experience for me and all of us.

I hope everyone has a healthy off season.

Rookie

PostPosted: October 4th, 2010, 2:09 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
Go read the NFBC boards. For Ken this was a small side dish to the feasts he had in other leagues. I'm not sure of the entry fee in a Super League but Ken's $20,000 check for winning one of the the three Super Leagues will probably pay for a nice vacation.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: October 4th, 2010, 10:25 pm 
Major League Veteran

Ken - congrats on this league title, your super league and your strong overall Double Play finish. I'm sure I've missed some other accomplishments, but definitely nice to compete against one of the best in the NFBC.

Ryan - thanks for putting this together. This was a great experience to see what it takes to compete in the NFBC. I had some work responsibilities that took my time away from this in the 1st half of the season, and with the quality, forward-looking free agent moves made by all, I really couldn't catch up on offense with my saved free agent dollars - a lesson well learned. If you decide to do this again, I would be happy to play again if I could pass as a veteran, but understand there are many with better credentials than me.

Everyone else - This was a fun league competing with you all. Have a nice offseason and I'm sure I'll see some of the same names in satellites or other leagues when the signups start again - it will be here before we know it.

Todd/Lawr - Thanks for the use of your site. Having this forum to discuss strategy/league business,etc. was a much appreciated added benefit to this league and concept.

Mark
Strike Force

PostPosted: October 5th, 2010, 5:39 pm 
Double-A

Rookie League:

I'd like a few days to do your kind words justice and pay my respects to so many people that made this happen and made it a season long challenge. I'll try to sum things
up over the weekend with a longer winded note and share some insight into some of my other
battles.

Sackofpotatoes