A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently July 27th, 2017, 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No such thing as a safe lead
PostPosted: August 21st, 2010, 8:20 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
... the only safe lead is the one you hold after October 3 [assuming there are not any playoffs].

Sack was ahead by 27½ at the end of May. It wasn't until July 12th that he dropped under 130 points. On Aug 2, he was at an even 130 but his lead was down to 9 points. This morning he is at 119 with a slim 3 point lead. What was once a romp in the park has become a tooth and nail fight.

This should have been expected. The number of times a team takes a big lead and keeps it for those last three month is very, very rare. I always consider that last month to be the END GAME of fantasy baseball. Two teams are now involved in a chess match where a pitching mistake or an injury will likely be the deciding factor. Heck, September call-ups may decide things - not the actual call-up themselves but the "At Bats" they take away from other players.

I will be watching this battle from the sideline as my current goal is to get to 80 category points - I am not a favorite. I am walking in Sack's shoes in two leagues myself and they are getting a whole lot of my attention these days. In my "pay 3" $125 Satellite NFBC league, I am at 118 with the second place team at 103½ [they have $0 FAAB left]. In my no bench 10-team NL league, I am at 76 with the closest team at 66½. In those two leagues, $1800 is on the line.

This will be a fun September - and I hope it will be successful.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

Post subject: Re: No such thing as a safe lead
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 10:13 am 
Double-A

Mike:

"Sack was ahead by 27½ at the end of May. It wasn't until July 12th that he dropped under 130 points. On Aug 2, he was at an even 130 but his lead was down to 9 points. This morning he is at 119 with a slim 3 point lead. What was once a romp in the park has become a tooth and nail fight."

Great observations. It amazes me how bunched the standings still are with six weeks to go. The thought that two days could swing my total from the 119 mark to where it sits this morning shows how bunched things really still are with six weeks left. The UK Cats have kept
the pressure on our backs. Todd has done a tremendous job and my son and I are working very hard to protect the lead. I wish everybody a strong finish, keep checking those boxscores!

I have a few other NFBC fights on my hands as well. I wish you luck on your two battles.
I know all to well that the only winner is the team standing on top come October. Bring it home Mike, your passion for this league is impressive. I'll be rooting for you in your other battles. Bring it home.

A word to my Commish, Ryan Carey. Back in March at the Shandler Forum we had an exercise
in which we had to predict which ONE player not listed in this seasons First Round was most likely to be a no brain selection in 2011. I was firmly on the bandwagon of Grady Sizemore. Man, was I way off with that selection. Ryan yelled loud - "Joey Votto"! You couldn't have
been more correct in that selection. Nice job Commish!

Sackofpotatoes

Post subject: Re: No such thing as a safe lead
PostPosted: September 26th, 2010, 7:22 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
LOL- It was about the only thing I got right this pre-season.

Thanks for remembering.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey