A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Second Half Contest Idea
PostPosted: June 21st, 2010, 1:34 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
I am open to any suggestions for a second half contest - but my first inclination is to rank teams in 4 counting stat categories for the second half - I'm thinking HR's, Runs, W's and K's - it would be easy enough for me to track and compile - and would give everyone a reason to keep going.

The other idea is to pick ONE revolving category every week for all 15 teams to compete in and award points from 1-15. That way we would use all categories at some point.

Feel free to post any ideas you might have for a second half contest here.

I am thinking of putting up a free entry into whatever league we start up next year - whether it be an NFBC sat again or some other league.

I am also going to add some prizes for second and third place - likely a free Forecaster and/or a free Platinum MB subscription for next year.

So add you comments and keep playing hard - there is a lot of season left and as the injury to Troy Tulowitski reminds us - things will happen from now til Sept that will impact the race. Those who keep grinding from week-to-week will have a chance to move up the standings. Those that give up will sink like stones.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

Post subject: Re: Second Half Contest Idea
PostPosted: June 21st, 2010, 5:09 pm 
Double-A

Ryan:

This was a 26 week contest. Any "idea" you have that allows even one owner to
deviate from this contest is in a sense changing the rules of the original contest. Do you
really want people targeting individual CATS at this point?

This was suppose to be a 26 week learning experience for $125. Those that wish to
derive something, can still achieve this be playing out the season - regardless of the
standings.

If you can come up with an idea that doesn't deviate from the original MAIN GAME,
than I'm all for it. Just don't mess around with the league as it was initially introduced. It
isn't fair to any of the teams still in with a chance. Leagues aren't won in twelve weeks.
Leads that seem large and even insurmountable can change very quickly. Here is hoping
you don't mess with what you started. It is important to me to attempt to remain "Unconscious" as it is for those trying to achieve that level.

Ken

Sackofpotatoes

PostPosted: June 21st, 2010, 5:37 pm 
Hall of Famer

From the peanut gallery...

As an interested observer, while I understand and even sympathize with Ryan's concern, I side with Ken as I believe attempting to do anything but earn as many roto points may unfairly skew the standings.

As many know, there are leagues that give bonuses to the category leaders and I do my best to avoid them, though I do play in a couple that are "NFBC warm up leagues" and the effect has been minimal.

However...

if you guys can come up with a means to reward THE MOST IMPROVED TEAM, or something like that, the integrity of the standings should remain intact.

Whether you do it on a roto points basis, or a places in the standings basis or some other means is up to those playing of course.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: June 21st, 2010, 6:01 pm 
Hall of Famer

Okay - two voices there that I respect a lot - so I am going to rethink this.

This was a winner take all league - and I do not want to take away from the initial purpose of the league.

At the same time I want to give some added incentive for teams to keep battling. Dead teams and disinterested owners will help skew the standings just as easily.

So what we will do is add a second and third place prize to the pool.

Second place will get you a free entry next year.

Third place will get a free Platinum MB subscription next year.

This will give everyone something else to shoot for over the coming months. It was always my intention to add a couple more prize levels, so let's do that today.

I am still open to any other ideas - but will concede that I don't want to diminish the league with a midseason contest that entices owners to alter their normal strategy.

Thanks Ken and Todd for your thoughts.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2010, 11:59 am 
Major League Veteran

Ryan,
I thought before the season and just rechecked that "winner take all" satellites have a 2nd place prize of $200. Other than the pre-season work of making this a private league, it doesn't seem that NFBC should take this prize away for our league since it's set up like one of their normal satellites. Probably worth checking in with Greg/Tom to ensure this is correct.

Just trying to help as there shouldn't be any need to figure out how to pay for a free entry next year when it's already in the prize pool. The third place prize is a nice extra touch and a possible suggestion is to provide the same to the best 2nd half team that doesn't come in the top 3 to keep all of us shooting toward a prize.

Mark
Strike Force

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2010, 5:15 pm 
Hall of Famer

Blah - okay I totally botched this up. Mark is correct - there is a second place prize already.

We will keep the third place prize I talked about out there.

I am open to any suggestions on how to operate a second half contest for the "Free Entry" that won't compromise the league.

Anyone?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2010, 5:51 pm 
Hall of Famer

How about something like a lottery system where you give everyone from 3rd to 15th the number of chances to win based on their total points? This way you increase your chances of winning by amassing more points? There are ways to generate random numbers. You can assign numbers based on the roto points and "draw" the winner.

I am reticent to suggest this as well, but it is not my call so I will throw it out there. You could even "disqualify" teams from the lottery that did not manage down the stretch. How you determine that is up to the league. Obviously, if a team has 23 active players for a string of weeks and does not make any changes or FAAB pickups, they may be managing but not electing to make any changes.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2010, 8:54 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
using Todd's idea, any team choosing not to make a bid or move could make a board entry stating as much. At least that way they are showing some level of participation.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 8:55 am 
Hall of Famer

Both of my NFBC teams have slipped far, far away from me. (I was just starting to overcome the losses of Droobs and Kendry in my other league when I lost Tulo). But the reason I signed up for this league, in particular, was for the learning experience. And I feel its been worth every penny of my $125 thus far. I know now exactly what not to do :twisted:

I will continue to play this thing out regardless of my place in the standings as that is just my style. If you want to add extra prizes for 3rd and 4th, thats fine by me, but I don't think its necessary. I kinda like the lottery idea.

Also, if 2nd is $200, you could do a free entry for 3rd and the MB subscription for 4th.

OR

let 1st and 2nd remain the same and the most improved team gets the free entry and the 2nd most improved team get the subscription, just a thought.

Is it football season yet?

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter

PostPosted: June 29th, 2010, 2:48 am 
Major League Regular

Any extra prizes--particularly for most improved team--sound great to me. It seems like I was in last place a week ago and this morning I was in sixth so there is really no reason to give up regardless of where you are at this point.

You could do something very simple, like post everyone's points at the end of this week. Whoever has the biggest improvement at the end gets a prize. I guess my only issue with that is that it punishes teams toward the top, but they have other prizes, of course. Also, I wouldn't announce anything long before the clock starts. If you say after the ASB you could have the number 14 guy tank for two weeks just so that he is most likely to add on later.

Both problems could be eliminated with a best second half prize, which I'd LOVE, but I guess there is no easy way to track rate stats is the issue there? You can do it given, say BA and number of at bats now and at the end of the season, but it is possibly more complicated of an undertaking than anyone would want to be bothered with.