A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Abandoned Teams
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 8:45 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
I hate it when teams are abandoned. About the only thing in fantasy sports I hate more is lopsided trades which are or appear to be collusion. I ceased playing in ESPN and Yahoo leagues because both of these events happened all to frequently. I don't play in keeper leagues because "dump trades/playing for the future" are common and a very acceptable practice. I do play in a single Dynasty league and after two season, i wish I wasn't in it either - and I have a pretty good team.

This season I am in two NFBC leagues. Both are $125 online leagues. One was drafted after the Main event was drafted and the other is the Rookie Invitational, with its mid-March draft date. In my late March league, one team failed to show up at the draft. After about a 20 minute delay, the draft was held with that team in an auto-draft mode. I have no clue why that owner was missing and it was not picked up by anyone. Greg froze the team with the originally drafted lineup. The biggest impact is that only 14 teams are using FAAB dollars. The team is almost last in all hitting categories but very high in several pitching categories. Through Sunday, my team was leading with three other teams within three points. I'm in second after Monday's games. This "dead" team is either way ahead or way behind all the current contender in each category. So far, it has minimal effect in the standings.

Our Rookie League may have a team that is being forgotten. Hopefully the owner is on a glorious cruise in Tahiti and other South Pacific islands with a loving partner. I'm guessing the team is forgotten because there has been a minor league player in the active lineup for at least three week. This week and last, there has been another inactive players. The first week could have been a function of timing when the player went on the DL but no bids were made last Sunday to resolve either situation. He is well ahead of my team but that isn't what matters. A principle of playing at least until September is involved, And even then, you should have lineups that contain active players. Sack has a huge lead and things look bleak for the remaining teams but strange things happen. I'm sure we all have seen teams get hit by the injury bug and watch run away winners fall. Most of us have probably worn those shoes - I did once. Hopefully, this team will rejoin us and make a drive for the top.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

Post subject: Re: Abandoned Teams
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 9:47 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I've reached out to the owner to try and inspire him to manage his team - but in reality there is little I can ultimately do about it. We all have busy lives and schedules - many of us have multiple teams. It is human nature to put your worse teams on the back burner. It is a nature of any fantasy league - even Main Event leagues have dead teams in them from time to time. The most I could say would be that those owners wouldn't be invited back for a second season.

That said - if anyone ever needs a surrogate to make moves for them at any point in the season - I will be happy to do it for you. Just email me and I'll make lineup moves for you if you are unable to.

Sack's early sprint seems to have been the main culprit - but anyone who thinks he can't be caught in 4 months is crazy. Not saying it will be easy - but to say it can't be done is just not correct.

I agree that his start has taken some of the intrigue away - and I am thinking about coming up with some kind of second half contest to give us all something to play for. Stay tuned for that - but maybe that will be enough to get guys to keep trying to improve their teams and give us a new contest to track.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 6:14 pm 
High-A

Preferred Style: NFBC 5X5
I was wondering about abandoned teams. How frustrating it is. I'm just frustrated that people put $125 into fantasy baseball and don't give a rip. I find putting $125 into a fantasy baseball league as expensive, but worth the value of competition. I've come close each of the last two years to a free entry to the main event only to fall off in September. I've led from April to August only to take a nose dive in pitching.

That Sack team is really frustrating me to no end right now. I really don't see an end to this domination. And its that Bautista character that really pisses me off. 260 hitter with 17 homers and a boat load of rbi's. Come on. He really is loaded with multiple players from a couple of teams though. Hopefully that can help those of us that are close. I don't want to see dl's and injuries to any players, but a SLUMP WILL DO..

And that pitching staff. Johnson kicking ass every time out. I just don't get it looking at his players on paper how they are doing what they are doing, but who the heck am I??

I'll be giving my best effort along the way and hopefully everyone else will too. MARK'S ALLSTARS WILL BE MAKING A RUN BEFORE TOO LONG. JUST WATCH!!

GOOD LUCK ALL. EXCEPT.......

NFBC ROOKIE INVITATIONAL SATELLITE LEAGUE

"If you're not practicing, somebody else is, somewhere, and he'll be ready to take your job." - Brooks Robinson

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 6:57 pm 
Hall of Famer

I was just reviewing Sack's current roster comparing it to his draft. Right now BBHQ has a poll on what the better fantasy players are better than the rest. My choice was in-season management and that is the clubhouse leader in the poll. Shandler also has the opinions of industry types along with Shawn Childs. This week is part two and these responses will probably be shown. Back to Sack's team.

He has dropped his #2 selection, Grady Sizemore, already. Who says those top two choices are critical. Also gone are his 11, 14, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24, 27, 28, 29 & 30 picks. Someone about odd rounds here. This week he is starting five undrafted hitters and two undrafted pitchers.

The bottom line is that he has used his FAAB much more efficiently than the rest of us. He has two hitters drafted after round 15 that are doing well. In round 16, he took Vernon Wells and in round 25, he took John Buck. This week he is starting seven players acquired by FAAB. They are Jaso, F.Sanchez, S.Rodriguez, Bautista, N.Walker, Jamie Garcia and Francis. Many of his players could have been your. Hats off to Sack.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 8:11 am 
Major League Veteran

Preferred Style: 5x5 Mixed, NFBC 12-team Double Play
This rotonut would be happy to take over any abandoned team :idea:

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 1:02 pm 
Hall of Famer

rotonut wrote:
This rotonut would be happy to take over any abandoned team :idea:

given the fact that there was an entry fee and the league is run by the NFBC, I feel that the original owner should keep the team even if it goes dormant. In a "fun" league, I would probably have a different opinion but not in a money league unless the new owner was willing to "buy" the team from the original owner.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 5:27 pm 
Double-A

Hey just got back from a trip with miltary for a couple of weeks and catching up with my team. Is this directed at me with Dexter Fowler?

PostPosted: June 11th, 2010, 12:36 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
No Joe - it isn't.

We were talking about Jim Foxx's Dos Equis squad who has had Scott Sizemore in his lineup for weeks giving the appearance that he has given up on this team.

We all get busy, some guys get bored and some guys just give up on teams that are under performing. Generally you will see them jump back in at some point and it wouldn't shock me to see Jim jump back in at some point(maybe even this week with a big FAAB class out there). Often times life comes before fantasy - and it's easier to let a team slide when you are not in the running for the top spot. Again - I am going to try and come up with a second half contest/prize that pus everyone on equal footing to start up - so everyone can have something to play for.

But hey the facts are that it happens. Hey sometimes in these 15 team leagues you strike out in FAAB and don't come away with guys to stick in your lineup. One of my teams is a total Mash unit where I had 5 DL'd hitters in reserve and lost two more guys this week - so I had no one to slide in for them.

I chose to go with Carlos Santana for the last couple weeks and took 0's waiting for the call I knew was coming (thank you Indians).

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

PostPosted: June 11th, 2010, 6:08 pm 
Double-A

Thanks because i think im still going to win, currently in 5th and my team is starting to come around. I have a new friend in the All Stars, i went to UWM and ON Wisconsin, also the real Big Red isint Nebraska as they will soon find out when they enter the BIG 10. Remember if its not Big10 its all D-2.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 12:41 pm 
High-A

Preferred Style: NFBC 5X5
I love Wisconsin.....Go Brewers, Go Badgers, Go Packers........I love my Fantasy Baseball Team to. I am just getting SACK'D by an unconcious team. He's due to get DL'D!!

NFBC ROOKIE INVITATIONAL SATELLITE LEAGUE

"If you're not practicing, somebody else is, somewhere, and he'll be ready to take your job." - Brooks Robinson