Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently September 19th, 2017, 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Player's who are killing me
PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 9:52 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
Julio Borbon - come on down.

I have faith that you are going to start hitting soon - but I drafted you for your speed and run scoring ability - so if you could try to get on base soon that would be wonderful.

Stephen Drew and Conor Jackson - I believed in both of you guys and the Arizona offense - can you guys at least decide amongst yourselves which one is going to suck this week - I can't really afford for you BOTH to suck at the same time. Thanks.

King Felix - I know you are pissed that I decided to draft you again this year. I owned you every year until LAST year when you finally delivered the goods. Don't take it out on everyone else just because I went all in on you again this year. The least you could do would be to deliver the K's.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

Post subject: Re: Player's who are killing me
PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 10:41 am 
Hall of Famer

Misery loves company......

The Nate's: McLouth-dude your good, start acting like it. Schierholtz-really, you had to lose the job on the LAST DAY of ST. AFTER we drafted, you bastard. How could 2 guys with such a great 1st name let me down so badly.

Lets, see, who else?

Hamels - 4 runs against that Nats???? the Nats!?!?!?! good thing Roy's there to take the pressure off, now go find that curve and start dominating again.

Carlos Lee-what was that about misery loving company?? plenty of that to go around in HOU

So, where can we see our teams YTD stats?? Under team stats it only breaks it down week by week. being able to see a players YTD stats would be quite useful, no??

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 11:21 am 
Hall of Famer

I actually was just going to post that at the NFBC boards. Going to do that one now.

UPDATE: Ryan Houston responded to someone else that this IS on the list of things to get done.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 12:09 pm 
Major League Regular

I'd like to nominate Jon Lester if I can. Here's to you Mr. Bait-and-Switch pitcher. I never believed in this guy. Middling K rate, yo-yoing walk rate, a ballpark that gets me excited about drafting hitters. Last year he proved he was worth it with a consistently outstanding K rate and low walks for the second year in a row. Finally, I believe, I draft, I suffer. Not that I've given up this early, but a 7.20 ERA doesn't inspire confidence.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 9:08 am 
Major Leaguer

This nominee should put me at the top of the leaderboard...................Pushing Carlos Lee to 2nd place, Give them their roids back!!!
First round pick, #8 overall, starting at 1st base for your World Champion Yankees, Tex :oops: hitting "the highway" 3 for 33, (.091). :shock: How does he got 4 rbi's?????
FYI, most already know this, The Highway = anything under .100, I-91, I-75, I-70 etc etc.

----------------
SinCitySaints

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 11:11 am 
Hall of Famer

Patience Grasshopper.....April never good to Mr. Teixeira.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 11:32 am 
Major Leaguer

Yea I read that, in my AL only league I am offering J.Vazquez and B Butler for Tex and D Braden. Thoughts

----------------
SinCitySaints

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 12:28 pm 
Hall of Famer

If you need the power and can afford to bail on Vazquez this early - why not. I think Tex has an MVP season in him - maybe as early as this year - so I love him as a buy.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 1:24 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
umm...I amgettingkilled everywhere..

Closer Mike GOnzalez
1b Adam Dunn
SP Javier Vazquez
DL bench
Geo Soto
Ervin Santana
Jason Werthless

I guess I should be happy I have D wright Power to be thankful for. A little Jeter love too...maybe I should be happy Olivo seems to be getting more PT than I thought and Wil venable has 3 HR already....So all is not lost...

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 1:29 pm 
Major League Regular

Sergio wrote:
Yea I read that, in my AL only league I am offering J.Vazquez and B Butler for Tex and D Braden. Thoughts

Ryan offered his thoughts about Tex; I'll offer mine about Braden.

Braden has a lot of intangibles (or at least things that we are not tangibly accounting for) that make him a better buy than projections would suggest. For one thing, he is the best pitcher in the majors at controlling the running game. Anyone who has seen his pick-off move knows this is no exaggeration. While standing on the mound looking at home plate, his arm darts toward first. One pick-off attempt and batters are scared to get off the bag against him.

Let's look at the numbers. In 2008, Braden had seven pick-offs in only 72 innings. He also only allowed one stolen base while catching two people stealing. In 2009, runners learned their lesson. Braden only managed one pick-off in 133 innings, but this is only because scared-stiff runners were never leaving the bag when he was on the mound. In those 133 innings he allowed no steals and caught two runners who were foolish enough to try. This also means that runners were never getting a head start and couldn't take an extra base or even score at times.

By way of comparison, Tim Lincecum, arguably last year's best pitcher, allowed 20 stolen bases, only caught five and didn't pick-off anyone.

Someone at Mastersball can correct me if I'm wrong, but degrees of controlling the running game are usually pretty negligible and therefore not counted in any projection systems. However, when you have a pitcher who is this good at it, it has to have a real effect on the number of runs he is allowing in a season.

Another virtue of Braden is that he is incredibly smart. In fact, his last gem was caught by Jake Fox and he had to call the whole game himself. That kind of sense is going to help him all the time, especially when he has to pitch out of jams.

I am not looking to start the debate on whether flyball pitchers can induce weak contact, but Braden has not had a problem keeping the ball inside the park. By looking at the physics of his pitches, maybe there is a good reason for this. His best pitch is his change-up which clocks in at around 75 mph. Maybe a more learned authority on physics can clock in here, but my impression is that there is not as much force in those pitches to turn around for a home run as you have in, say, a 95 mph fastball.

Finally, while it is most likely due to his change-up having a profound effect against minor leaguers that doesn't translate as well as, say, a fastball, it is worth taking a look at his phenomenal K rates in the minors. While I don't think he is going to keep punching out 12 like he did in his first game this year, I think it's very plausible to think it will get higher than around fiver per nine innings like he has had in the past couple years.

Put it all together and you can see why this is a pitcher who outperforms those pesky projections year after year and is likely to do it again.