A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently July 23rd, 2017, 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Late To The Dance
PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 1:23 am 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: 5x5 Mixed Roto Auction
Not in the MB Rookie league but following it closely and picking up some good advice. Made my first foray into the NFBC this year (yes, I'm the 51 year old virgin) in a satellite league. Drafted on 3/23 from the 15 hole. Here's the team with round in parenthesis:

C - Napoli (8), Marson (22)
CI - Wright (2), Dunn (6), Ad LaRoche (11), Pedro Feliz (29)
MI - Tulo (1), Zobrist (4), Prado (14), Guzman (27)
OF - Hunter (5), McLouth (7), Hawpe (12), Rivera (13), Podsednik (15), Ross (17), Rowand (23)
P - Haren (3), Harden (9), Wagner (10), Dotel (16), Rauch (18), Correia (19), Frasor (20), Duchscherer (21), Maine (24), Marquis (25), Rzepczynski (26), Oliver Perez (28), Neshek (30)

I was pretty happy with team coming out of draft although the biggest blunder was at C. I was going to snag Marson and Carlos Santana back-to-back but waited too long. Wound up with 4 closers because some of them had blemishes and/or question marks and I wanted back ups instead of getting into a FAAB battle during the season.

START for 04/08 has these totals for my 23 starters:
HR - 310
RBI - 1133
R - 1088
SB - 111
BA - .2679

W - 70
SV - 117
ERA - 3.766
WHIP 1.272
K - 1019

Looking to address C through FAAB. First week I dropped Cristian Guzman and picked up Alex Avila for $5 (runner up was $5). Second week I dropped Jason Marquis and picked up Carlos Santana for $29 (runner up was $16) who was dropped the week prior. One of them is bound to get the job sooner or later. In the meantime, not getting much production from the position. Will keep an eye out for more SP help to pick up some W's. Also think I'm light on SB and keeping my eyes peeled for that while at the same time hoping McLouth returns to normal.

Overall, pretty satisfied and think I can compete. Looking forward to playing it out.

Jim was teeing off from the back tees. On his down-swing, he realized that his wife was about to tee off from the red tees, directly in his path. Unable to stop his swing, he hit Sue directly in the temple, killing her instantly.
A few days later Jim received a call from the coroner concerning her autopsy. "Jim, Sue seems to have died from blunt force trauma to the head. Is it correct you hit a golf ball and struck her in the temple."
Jim replied, "that's correct."
"I also found a large bruise on her right hip. Do you know anything about that?"
"Yes sir," Jim said, "that was my mulligan."

Post subject: Re: Late To The Dance
PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 9:35 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
cwk1963 wrote:
Not in the MB Rookie league but following it closely and picking up some good advice. Made my first foray into the NFBC this year (yes, I'm the 51 year old virgin) in a satellite league. Drafted on 3/23 from the 15 hole. Here's the team with round in parenthesis:

C - Napoli (8), Marson (22)
CI - Wright (2), Dunn (6), Ad LaRoche (11), Pedro Feliz (29)
MI - Tulo (1), Zobrist (4), Prado (14), Guzman (27)
OF - Hunter (5), McLouth (7), Hawpe (12), Rivera (13), Podsednik (15), Ross (17), Rowand (23)
P - Haren (3), Harden (9), Wagner (10), Dotel (16), Rauch (18), Correia (19), Frasor (20), Duchscherer (21), Maine (24), Marquis (25), Rzepczynski (26), Oliver Perez (28), Neshek (30)

Hey Chris - glad to have you join us - as it is instructive to all to hear about teams in other leagues and how they attack the season.

I am in the same boat as you with Marson/Santana. I think all we can do is wait for Santana to get the call and hope that Marson can do something with his 3-4 starts a week til then. The fact that Santana is tearing the cover off the ball at AAA with 4HR's and a .390 BA means the Tribe will have to give him the job sooner than later I would think. I know that I could use that extra reserve spot for some more pitching. I am currently carrying Bedard, Webb, Strasburg and now Chris Young on my bench. I am hoping the rest of my staff can carry me til I get some of these guys back in the mix.

I think the staff you have assembled will present similar challenges - but for those reading we have to remember that these teams being talked about in this Forum are not competing in the Overall competition - so there is less pressure to hit certain counting stat targets right out of the gate. In the Overall - you can't fall to far off the pace in the counting stats on the P side because it can be hard to catch up. That said - you are going to have to find a spot (maybe 2) to rotate some 2 start SP in and out week to week if you are going to go with four closers. It will be risky - but it could also be fun to see what you can accomplish by trying to play matchups week-to-week. At first glance I would probably look at Oliver Perez' spot as a flexible spot in my lineup. And while I understand the Neshek insurance - you may have to throw him back soon for other help. Rauch has looked pretty solid - another good week and I think you will need to free that spot up as well.

Good Luck - and please keep us updated on your week-to-week moves.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey