A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently November 25th, 2017, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sat NFBC Team Management
PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 3:06 pm 
Major League All-Star

Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction
This is mostly a team management question, but I think there is also some basic NFBC roster construction questions imbedded, so I opted to post this in the Rookie League forum.

My Satellite team as of today:
C: Y.Molina, J.Buck (A.Moore)
CI: E.Longoria, B.Butler, A.LaRoche (D.Barton)
MI: J.Rollins, B.Phillips, L.Castillo (C.Getz)
OF/DH: S.Choo, B.Abreu, B.Hawpe, C.Ross, C.Young, R.Sweeney

SP: J.Santana, W.Rodriguez, R.Dempster, R.Harden, M.Buehrle, H.Kuroda, K.Correia (J.Garcia, K.Kawakami)
RP: F.Cordero, M.Capps (S.Downs, B.Ziegler)

Bat questions: Are Barton and Getz inappropriate bench bats for the current constructed active roster? My thinking when I drafted Getz was for Castillo insurance. However, Cliff Pennington was dropped last week...he seems to make more sense on my team than Getz, correct? Similarly, with 2 1Bman rostered, Barton doesn't seem to fit on this team. When I originally posted my team, Ryan recommended pursuing more OF depth. Does it make sense to dump Barton for an OF? J.Bautista, J.Guillen, J.Bowker, N.Schierholtz, W.Venable, K.Fukudome, P.Burrell (DH), J.Cust (who I dumped), and M.Diaz appear to be the best bats available. BA is a current concern for my team, but loosing Cust (dumped for Sweeney last week) has left me a bit lighter than I wanted to be with power.

Arm questions: First, I tried speculating that Bailey would miss some time to begin the season, so I picked up Ziegler through FAAB last week. He is now one of my first cuts in week 2 of FAAB. With Cordero and Capps for saves I think I need to use Ziegler's spot on speculative closers. Interestingly, Drew Storen was dropped last week. He seems to be as good a speculation as any, but would result in a dead spot on my reserves. How are you handling potential dead spots this year (any different with the new 'Friday rule')? How many minor leaguers/injured players would you be willing to hold on to? Finally, K.Kawakami is another potential drop this week because, as Ryan pointed out in my earlier thread, there is not much upside in him and I already have a solid backend to my rotation. Brett Myers was dropped last week...would he qualify as a higher upside SP? O.Perez, D.Braden, B.Norris, and G.Mock are also available. Maybe Kawakami's spot should be used on another MR/SvSpec? How many SPs do you plan, on average, to carry this season?

I understand I ultimately get to make the roster decisions and will have to decide on appropriate FAAB amounts, but would really appreciate any and all feed back. I understand if you do not want to comment specifically on certain players, although a bunch of the players in question are rostered in the RL.

Bench: AJ Reed, D.Fisher, E.Jimenez, A.Heaney, T.Kahnle
DL: M.Pineda, M.Shoemaker, JC Ramirez, C.Rodon, D.Smyly

Post subject: Re: Sat NFBC Team Management
PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 5:49 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
Kelly first off I will say that I think you are approaching evaluating your roster in the correct way. Identify weaknesses and where you need to improve.

Faab is your tool to improve your roster both long term and short term. Those 7 reserve spots will be used in different ways in different leagues. In one of my leagues I waited on saves - so I have a couple closers in waiting in reserve. In another I came away with three closers - so I am not using reserve spots on relievers. In every one of my NFBC leagues I am carrying 1 top prospect - strasburg, Santana and Alvarez. Alvarez is the one I may not wait on - but I am usually okay with dedicating one roster spot to such a player until injuries force my hand.

As for some of your bench guys - I think you might want to wait on Getz a little while longer. I don't own him anywhere, but if you drafted him it was for speed and I think that is something your team can use in reserve.

I don't remember what I wrote about Kawakami - but I suspect it had to do with my tendancy to look for young power arms for my backend. I happen to think Myers makes a good target for you this week since he didn't pitch real well this week and I think will get 2 starts next week (?). I have never been a huge fan of his but I think he's got more upside than Kawakami.

As for Barton - lawr would be the guy to ask but I see him batting in the 2 spot and am intrigued. He can get on base - it's just a matter on them having someone to drive him in. That said I don't see huge upside to his bat some you could move him for a Bautista type player who can provide insurance at multiple positions and free up a reserve spot for speculation.

The friday rule is not something to overthink. Yes it is good if you can have the flexibility on tour bench to deal with injuries that might occur during the week. Better than getting zeroes- but hopefully you regular lineup has everday players who you don't really want to sit down going into the weekend.

I noticed you asked about Bowker in the regular forum - and since he was a Faab add for me last week - I'll use him as an example. I had nady on the bench. He at this point is not starting - so he wouldn't help me if someone went down. Bowker has a starting job for this week at least - so I grab him and I have a body I can use. Cost me a buck and I'm not really looking past this week with him. If I see something I like better - he'll go for what I think I need more for THAT week.

Most teams try for a balanced bench - but sometimes you need to go heavy one way or the other.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 8:54 am 
Major League All-Star

This was my thinking on Getz/Pennington...

In a vacuum I like Getz more than Pennington. However, with Castillo already rostered, I thought for my team it made more sense to have a SS on my bench as a backup MI. And since Pennington has a similar skill set to Getz (SB potential, little power, hitting at the bottom of the order), he would make more sense on my roster. I also worry a bit about Getz's playing time when Gordon comes back as Getz, Gordon, Callaspo, Aviles, and Betancourt will be fighting for 3 positions. What I'm hearing you say is to stick with who you like better right now (Getz), at least early in the season.

With Storen I will probably try to pick him up this week with some other conditional MR/SvSpec bids after. The goal will be to grab someone with a minimal FAAB investment.

I will bid a bit more aggressively on Myers for Kawakami's spot...if I don't win him it will not be the worst thing in the world. It does seem like there are many Kawakami type pitchers available.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2010, 4:09 pm 
Major League All-Star

Kelly_Leak wrote:
I picked from the 9 spot, so 9th in odd rounds and 7th in even rounds. This was my first NFBC draft, but I think I did pretty well. I would appreciate any and all comments.

C: Y.Molina-11, J.Buck-20 (A.Moore-26)
CI: E.Longoria-1, B.Butler-6, A.LaRoche-10 (D.Barton-30)
MI: J.Rollins-2, B.Phillips-3, L.Castillo-21 (C.Getz-27)
OF/DH: S.Choo-5, B.Abreu-8, B.Hawpe-14, C.Ross-16, C.Young-18, J.Cust-23

SP: J.Santana-4, W.Rodriguez-7, R.Dempster-12, R.Harden-15, M.Buehrle-17, H.Kuroda-19, K.Correia-22 (D.Braden-25, J.Garcia-28, K.Kawakami-29)
RP: F.Cordero-9, M.Capps-13 (S.Downs-24)

So this team (after much in-season management) ended up winning my $125 Satellite league...BARELY. The winning margin was 2.5 points, but that doesn't fully explain how close it was. In the final standings, we ended up tied with two other teams in saves; were tied with a team in HRs and one up on another; and our 0.2708 BA narrowly beat out the team behind us, which was at 0.2706. Basically, if Francisco Cordero doesn't get a save and Alex "effing" Gordon doesn't hit a HR on the last day of the season we end up ahead by a mere 0.5 overall. Also, the 2nd place team finished 1 run and 1 save behind the team above them in each respective category.

If you look back at the draft, the first 10 or so selections disappointed to certain degrees:
1.9 Longoria - a lot more power was projected, but the SBs were nice.
2.7 Rollins - ugh!!!
3.9 Phillips - fell short of 20/20...a little bit more was expected, but most top tier 2Bman underwhelmed this year.
4.7 J.Santana - would have been a great season if he didn't miss September.
5.9 Choo - basically hit projections...would have been nice if he didn't miss 3+ weeks.
6.7 Butler - was hoping for a bit more power.
7.9 W.Rodriguez - thankfully came around in the final 3 months.
8.7 Abreu - basically performed to expectation.
9.9 F.Cordero - saves are saves, but did not help the ERA or WHIP.
10.7 LaRoche - pretty close to projection across the board.

Team MVP goes to (draft position weighted)...
- On the hitting side, Chris Young who was taken in the 18th round, but put up 1st/2nd round numbers. 2nd amongst the voters (of 1) was John Buck whose .280 average crushed projections.
- On the pitching side, the award goes to Jaime Garcia (28.7) who narrowly beats out Hiroki Kuroda (19.9) and FAAB week 2 pickup Brett Myers.

Team LVP goes to (draft position weighted)...
- On the hitting side, Jimmy Rollins (2.7)...at least he stole some bags when he was healthy. Brad Hawpe (14.7) was a dark horse candidate for this award.
- On the pitching side, Rich Harden (15.9) wins in a run away.

Best in-season FAAB pickup...
- On the hitting side, Luke Scott ($16, uncontested). Picked up on 5/16 went on to hit 20 HRs for the squad. Interestingly he was the 2nd player in a list of conditional bids...thank goodness someone else wanted Jack Cust more.
- On the pitching side, Brett Myers ($22, uncontested). Picked up on 4/11 and ridden until the very end.

Other bits of information and fortune...
- Matt Capps got traded to the one team (the Twins) that planned to use him as a closer.
- Carefully budgeted all FAAB dollars - had $0 after the last FAAB period.
- Ended up with the most ABs in the league by ~100...RBIs and more specifically Rs were very tight categories.
- Ended up with the 2nd in Ks, which makes sense when I tell you we were 2nd in IP...but we also somehow finished 2nd in ERA (with Cordero and Capps as our only relievers for most of the season).

Thought I would share my final results, since this was my first NFBC experience. Thanks to all who gave input before and during the season!

PostPosted: October 6th, 2010, 4:51 pm 
Hall of Famer

Congrats!!

I thought I recognized your name on the winner's list.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 9:06 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
Congrats Kelly!

Glad to see I was able to dole out at least one useful piece of advice this year to help someone win something! :D

Of course I cut Myers in one of my league sand regretted it all year.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey