A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently September 19th, 2017, 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Rookie League Standings
PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 4:57 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
It should be noted that my vipers are showing no signs of climbing out of the cellar at this time. The venom is missing as they are mouthing their prey. Lowly worms are laughing at us. Actually the only two problems are hitting and pitching. All other facets of the game are going well.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 6:47 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
I hear you Mike - my sb total is the only thing keeping my team respectable at this point!

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 1:24 pm 
Hall of Famer

The end of three full weeks has brought us a change at the top of the Rookie League standings.

Todd Easterling's UK Blue Cats squad parlayed a strong week to jump into the overall league lead with an impressive 115 points. Ryan Braun and Robinson Cano led the offensive charge - with Nelson Cruz chipping in 5 sb's instead of homers this week. Andy Petitte has turned back the clock and helped minimize the damage from Josh Beckett's disaster.

Veteran Ken Magner's Sack Sat II team moved up to second place with a strong week. Forgotten men Jose Bautista and Andruw Jones combined for 5 hrs and 10 rbi's and Justin Mourneau flashed his MVP form in helping power Sacks's offense. Brad Penny continued to be a revelation with a sterling week and Scott Kazmir somehow managed to collect two W's with less than stellar stuff.

Mark Bendar's Strike Force broke into the Top 3 with a balanced attack led again by Jose Guillen. Casey Blake proved his worth with a 2 HR 8 RBI week as well.

Nick Passarelli's Hoboken Generals slipped to 4th after leading the way the first two weeks. Their pitching was great - but the offense lagged a bit finally - Injuries to Mathis and Bradley hurt and last weeks FAAB darling Eugenio Velez was a bust last week with 1 hit in 19 AB's.

Mike Ladd's Vienna Vipers got out of the basement leapfrogging 3 teams up to 12th place. Ryan Carey's Central Park Muggers barely edged out Andrew Napora's Golden Gators for last place.

Troy Pearson's and Brian Oakchunas's teams each made moves up the standings this week and could make some more noise if they can continue that momentum.

Good luck to everyone in Week 4!!!

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 12:01 pm 
Major League Regular

Quote:
Troy Pearson's and Brian Oakchunas's teams each made moves up the standings this week and could make some more noise if they can continue that momentum.

I am actually quite happy with my position considering neither of my top two draft picks have played yet and I had to go with a hole in my line-up for two weeks. Hopefully, they will get healthy and I can start to make some noise.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 10:14 am 
Hall of Famer

No changes at the top of the standings this week other than the number 1 and 2 teams adding a couple more points to their totals.

Todd Easterling's UK Blue Cats lost Nelson Cruz early in the week and still held onto the top spot. with 118 points overall. Robinson Cano continued to lead the way with a 4 homer week and Adam LaRoche seems to be waking up as well as he chipped in 3 dingers of his own.

Ken Magner held onto the number two spot with 117 pts. Josh Johnson continues his climb up the SP ranks with a dominating week - 2W, 20K's, 1.80 ERA 0.73WHIP. FAAB darling Jaime Garcia pulled another shutout out of his bag.

Mark Jahns's Miller Park Allstars cracked the Top 3 with 105pts. Pitching was the key for MP this week as they racked up 6W's and 3 SV to go along with stellar ratios to move up the standings.

Nick Passerelli's Hoboken Generals stayed in 4th place with 98 points.

Mark Bendar's Strike Force slipped from 3rd place to 6th.

Andrew Napora becomes the newest owner to sit in last place stealing that spot from the Muggers with a late surge.

A slew of injuries made for a busy week of FAAB - head over and check out the results.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 2:05 pm 
Double-A

The FAAB darling is getting a start t-night in Philly. I'm very very nervous about this start, but it comes in a week where he projects for a double and the Pirates are the team on the back end.

An angle still allowed by the open ended NFBC Friday D/L rule for those of you to consider. IF I owned a pitcher on the D/L ....... I'll use Jorge De La Rosa as an example, you cou ld slot him into your starting lineup and "protect" against a 2-stepper that has a dangerous first start. Dangerous places, for me, are any starts in Philly, Texas, and Coors. You could let Jaime Garcia start on the bench and watch the Philly start and then slot him in versus the
Pirates over the weekend. Of course, the sensible thing never seems to pan out. I hope to
"survive" this start.

Another QUESTION, curious to any thoughts. The NEW Friday afternoon D/L rule offered by
the NFBC was a positive step to fix an old problem. But here is MY issue. Why do the rosters
lock with the first pitch of the game on Friday afternoon? It makes NO sense. There are 30 major league teams. We are allowed on Monday to move players in/out up until 6:55pm. Why are we penalized on Friday when the Cubs play that afternoon game? Basically, you have 2 out
of 30 teams in action but you are forced to decide at 2pm whether or not to play such guys as Carlos Quentin, Ryan Zimmerman, or Justin Morneau with basically NO updated information. Seems to me this is a big negative for such a high stakes contest. What do you guys think? Wouldn't you prefer a chance to see Friday starting lineups before deciding on the questionable players? Only seems to make to much sense to me.

Good luck to everybody this week. Super job by Todd with the top spot, way to go.

Sackofpotatoes

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 2:45 pm 
Major League Regular

Sack wrote:
The FAAB darling is getting a start t-night in Philly. I'm very very nervous about this start, but it comes in a week where he projects for a double and the Pirates are the team on the back end.

An angle still allowed by the open ended NFBC Friday D/L rule for those of you to consider. IF I owned a pitcher on the D/L ....... I'll use Jorge De La Rosa as an example, you cou ld slot him into your starting lineup and "protect" against a 2-stepper that has a dangerous first start. Dangerous places, for me, are any starts in Philly, Texas, and Coors. You could let Jaime Garcia start on the bench and watch the Philly start and then slot him in versus the
Pirates over the weekend. Of course, the sensible thing never seems to pan out. I hope to
"survive" this start.

Another QUESTION, curious to any thoughts. The NEW Friday afternoon D/L rule offered by
the NFBC was a positive step to fix an old problem. But here is MY issue. Why do the rosters
lock with the first pitch of the game on Friday afternoon? It makes NO sense. There are 30 major league teams. We are allowed on Monday to move players in/out up until 6:55pm. Why are we penalized on Friday when the Cubs play that afternoon game? Basically, you have 2 out
of 30 teams in action but you are forced to decide at 2pm whether or not to play such guys as Carlos Quentin, Ryan Zimmerman, or Justin Morneau with basically NO updated information. Seems to me this is a big negative for such a high stakes contest. What do you guys think? Wouldn't you prefer a chance to see Friday starting lineups before deciding on the questionable players? Only seems to make to much sense to me.

Good luck to everybody this week. Super job by Todd with the top spot, way to go.

Most Fridays don't have any pitches until 4 (or 7 depending on your zone) so it's not going to be a continuing issue. What I don't get is why give until four and then lock team's roster at that time. It is a feature in the game that favors east coast players. Either everyone should be able to move until his game starts (including guys who don't play until the next day--or, better and easier--rosters should be frozen an hour and a half before the first pitch of the first game.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 9:57 pm 
Hall of Famer

Sack wrote:
What do you guys think? Wouldn't you prefer a chance to see Friday starting lineups before deciding on the questionable players? Only seems to make to much sense to me.

I have no problem with the current format. I'm not going to set my lineup for 3 days based on whether or not I know a guy is playing on Friday; there are still 2 days left in the weekend.

I realize you were listing injured players. But if a guys hurt, I don't know that I'd start him for the weekend just cuz i knew he was playing on friday. Take Ankiel, for example. He got 1 AB on sat and sun but even though he has 7 games this week, I still left him on the bench.

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 6:23 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
I can't recall but I thought all the Monday rosters were frozen at 11am on the day of the annual Patriots day game in Boston.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: May 10th, 2010, 3:18 pm 
Hall of Famer

After 5 Weeks we have a new first place team.

Ken Magner's Sack II team parlayed another weekly win into a first place standing by weeks end. He is sitting on top with 126 points and a 12 point lead over the competition. John Buck continues to do his impression of Johnny Bench, smacking 4 more HR's this week. Jose Bautista, Cargo, Ian Desmond, Vernon Wells and Andruw Jones all contributed to the offense. Jake Peavy looks like he's back on track with an impressive week. Everyone else can be grateful Ken started Kazmir last week - or his lead might be bigger.

Mark Jahn's Miller Park All Stars moved up one spot to second place with 105.5. Elvis Andrus was the standout star for them this week with 8 runs and 5 sb's. The rest of the team was workmanlike with their production helping hop over former first place team UK BLue Cats.

Todd Easterling's team slipped a bit this week - dropping 14 points down to 103 and third place. Injuries to Petitte, Mariano, N Cruz and M Cameron in addition to the benching of a struggling Josh Beckett left the Cats a little short this week. Ryan Braun kept their offense respectable with a monster week.

Troy Pearson and the Sin City Saints had a nice week moving up to 4th place with 85 points. Pitching was the catalyst here as they racked up 6 W's. Mark Teixeira finally woke up and so did Sin City's offense.

Another big mover this week was Brian Oakchunas's Big Alameda Machine made a move up the standings to 5th place - cracking the 80 point barrier with 84. It could have been even better if Max Scherzer hadn't imploded this week.

The Hoboken Generals had a rough week and tumbled down to 6th place with 83 points.

In the battle for last place - my Muggers staked their claim for another week. We actually had two teams in the rearview mirror before sliding back down over the weekend.

Good Luck to everyone this week!!