A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently July 27th, 2017, 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Friday Lineup Switches
PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 11:10 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
This year in the NFBC there is a new wrinkle when it comes to setting your lineups. For the first time players can sub out hitters on Friday's. This replaces the old DL rule for hitters, while the old rule still holds for P. With this new rule players have something new to consider when setting their lineups. Obviously it will help you deal with injuries that occur mid-week as long as you have replacement players on your bench. You will be able to swap out a banged up player and no longer have to endure zero's for the whole week from a lineup spot. Going a little further, players will also be able to play match ups with their offense. Say you have a backup OF heading into a weekend series in Coors Field while your #5 guy is heading into Petco. Maybe you take the chance on some Mile High magic. Say you want to go for a little speed in the lineup for the weekend and have a Michael Brantley on the pine - stick him in and drop out whoever is scuffling. If you have a player who sits against LHP, you can check the matchups, and if you think he'll sit at some point in the week - you will be able to try an exploit those trends to your advantage.

This is the first time for everyone using this system and time will tell how effective it will be or how much of a difference it can make. I am going to track the moves I make this season and compile the stats for players swapped in and out on Friday. We'll see how much I gain or lose through my moves and how successful my moves are for the season. If anyone else wants to join in this experiment feel free to share your data here as well. My team this week has Sean Rodriguez, John Bowker and Carlos Santana as bats on the bench. Santana is in AAA - so that leaves Bowker and Rodriguez. Rodriguez doesn't qualify at 2B yet - and won't for at least another week - but I may be tempted to swap him in this week in the OF.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

Post subject: Re: Friday Lineup Switches
PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 8:29 am 
Hall of Famer

So what criteria are people using to make their switches?

Park effect? Pitching matchups? I would assume yes, to both of those.

what about if a guy is just cold right now, would anyone rotate in a bench bat this early in the year if a player they JUST drafted is cold? Mr McLouth and Mr Span, I'm looking at you.

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter

PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 4:53 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
For me it would be a player in a D-T-D status coupled with a viable alternative. I can see thinking about it if a player has multiple bad pitching matchups. Also, there seems to be an abnormal number of platoon situations. Knowing these, recognizing them and have the ability to juggle your lineup to react may be asking a lot of most of us. I can see identifying these could be a major feature for any site with a large NFBC following - hint, hint, hint!!

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 11:49 am 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
I can tell you that I am not much of a micro manager. But today I did make one switch.

I considered starting Scott Hairston in Colorado as he owns Jorge Delarosa. But If I could count on two starts instead of the one surefire start agaisnt Jorge this weekend, i would have done it. But instead I went with Wil venable with 3 games in Colorado over Juan Rivera playing 3 games in a tougher park in Oakland. We will have to see how it works out...

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 1:14 pm 
Hall of Famer

I like that switch Dave. I held back and made no switches. Hoping Borbon wakes up this weekend.

I did forget to post here that Friday switches for hitters need to be made 5 minutes prior to the first game of the day.

For DL P's I believe they have to be done by 12 noon ET.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2010, 10:15 am 
Major League Veteran

Well, I got to deal with Chipper's injuries earlier than I hoped, so put Carlos Guillen in for him, so advantage for me to get some AB's with this new rule. Also got to put Reyes in, which is nice as well.

Just for discussion purposes, took Alexei Ramirez out for Kelly Johnson in my Double Play, as Ramirez seems to be one of those slow starters and tried to ride the hot bat vs. Pitt, so definitely factored the matchup in my decision there.

Mark
Strike Force

PostPosted: April 10th, 2010, 1:45 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
The true impact of the rules will be with players getting injured during the week or players coming off the DL list in mid-week. One of the biggest complaints was reading that a player was going on the Dl but having the club wait until Friday game time to make the move. The old rule was a player had to be on the DL at 12:01am Friday. It is still the rule with pitching but that is so people cannot keep a pitcher from making a second start of the week against a big hitting team while using an earlier start in the week against the little sisters of the poor.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: April 11th, 2010, 8:11 am 
Major Leaguer

When I asked Milton Bradley what he thought about the idea of being benched by my team this week, this is how he responded:

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 10:45 am 
Major Leaguer

I was going to generally avoid swapping out hitters for the weekend because I see this, for me anyways, as being a trap into overthinking and overmanaging, things that I'm quite prone to do. However, I'm going to start Lowell over Zimmerman for the weekend based on the news that Zimmerman's hamstring injury may keep him out of this weekend's series. The Sox are only facing one lefty this weekend, but my thinking is one game from Lowell is better than zero from Zimmerman.

Rookie

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 12:14 pm 
Hall of Famer

Yep - I had to move Sean Rodriguez in and Conor Jackson to the pine.