Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Weekly RL Post-FAAB Discussion
PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 9:58 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
TEAM PLAYER WINNING BID RUNNER UP
Sack Sat II Jaime Garcia $129 $25
Sack Sat II Fausto Carmona $129 $75
Sack Sat II J.R. Towles $11 $10
Sack Sat II Jose Bautista $31 $20
UK BlueCats Luke Gregerson $30 $5
Central Park Muggers Jason Motte $3
Central Park Muggers John Bowker $1
Vienna Vipers Brendan Harris $18
Island Candidates Luis Castillo $29 $11
Island Candidates John Lannan $5
Island Candidates Jose Mijares $9
SinCitySaints David Hernandez $1
SinCitySaints Chris Johnson $1
SinCitySaints Kris Medlen $2
Big Bad Booty Daddy Zach Duke $6
Big Bad Booty Daddy Drew Storen $21
Big Bad Booty Daddy Will Venable $14 $5
Frost Heaves Felix Pie $4
Frost Heaves Manuel Corpas $4
Dos Equis Felipe Paulino $9 $3
Dos Equis Jonny Gomes $5 $1
Joe & Sons Wildcats Daric Barton $13
Joe & Sons Wildcats Brendan Ryan $22 $7
Big Alameda Machine Franklin Morales $112 $107
Big Alameda Machine Eric Chavez $10 $1
Hoboken Generals Dan Wheeler $5

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

Post subject: Re: Weekly RL FAAB Results
PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 10:29 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
for those who played last year, do you like this methods which shows all the winning FAAB's by team or last years which showed it by dollar spent. I prefer seeing where the big money went but seeing by team has some benefits too. Of course, this may change next week.

I am curious yellow.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 10:37 am 
Hall of Famer

I don't mind this for the waiver history page - but once they get the plain history page - hopefully it will go by dollar amount. I really am waiting to be ab le to see the guys who were dropped. This to me is an important piece of information for NEXT weeks FAAB and I don't really want to do the legwork to figure out who everyone cut. Hopefully they will get this running by the end of the week.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 11:30 am 
Major League Regular

Well, we didn't get a proper wrap-up on faab this week because we were all concerned with the fanball train wreck. I'll offer some thoughts and share an embarrassing screw-up on my end.

Nice to see I was only $4 over what I needed for Morales.

It is a good thing this is a rookie league because I made a rookie mistake (or worse) this week. I don't know if I ever made so glaring of an error before, but I forgot to get a substitute for Ian Kinsler.

Yeah, I am just going to go ahead and blame it on fanball. :) I've found their site so difficult to work with that I didn't go through my own process that I championed on these boards. It doesn't help that they don't have a DL designation for guys either. I knew Kinsler was hurt, of course; I just forgot I had him on this team.

I thought Bowker was a nice gamble for $1. Another mistake I made was forgetting he was available. I'd have gone higher than that on him.

Sack made some interesting and costly moves so I'll comment on those for everyone's possible edification:

Jamie Garcia is an intriguing pitcher and maybe he'll give back value at that price, but I wonder if he went a little high on a guy he likes rather than a guy everyone likes, another error I have not been immune to. We'll know better if Greg and the team ever put up the bids from this week.

Carmona is starting to look like his old self and bids of $129 and $75 are not as discrepant as they look. You will see more of those than ones like mine on Morales. Personally, I think Carmona has disappointed too many times to think he won't do it again, but I understand the bid.

I think Towles is a really smart pick if you need a catcher. If there is such a thing as a quad-A player, I still don't think he is that different in the majors than he is in the minors. A correction could come there. It also might not--I'm not betting the farm on it--but he's worth a look.

Bautista is a guy who has K'ed too much and doesn't have good hitting skills that would make you think his BABIP will be anything special. That said, he only had one K in 57 spring training at bats. Not a misprint--one. On the other hand, that is equal to the number of K's he had in four opening day at bats. All in all, it makes him another smart piece to throw at the wall and see if it sticks.

I can find no fault with the hitters here and each was closely bid on by others. However, the prices on pitchers make his week one bids equal $300. That is quite a hefty price, and one that assumes either Carmona or Garcia will not just work out as members of their team's rotation, but become a superstar. Furthermore, it seriously prevents the owner from doing something like this again, and there are promising guys out there every week. This should be an interesting storyline to follow as we see how the season unfolds.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 11:37 am 
Major League All-Star

Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction
deansdaddy wrote:

How was this able to happen? I thought undrafted minor leaguers were off limits in FAAB until they reached the show?

Bench: AJ Reed, M.Smith, M.Boyd, J.Hahn, T.Kahnle
DL: W.Ramos, C.Cron, C.Rodon, D.Smyly

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 11:42 am 
Hall of Famer

Good point - I will ask Greg about this one. I think it is because Storen was on the 40 man roster. Greg announced that these players would be available. I porbobly should have alerted the league to this - but it didn't accur to me at the time. I asked Greg for a clarification to this and I'll post his response when I receive it.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 11:44 am 
Major League Regular

deansdaddy wrote:
I don't mind this for the waiver history page - but once they get the plain history page - hopefully it will go by dollar amount. I really am waiting to be ab le to see the guys who were dropped. This to me is an important piece of information for NEXT weeks FAAB and I don't really want to do the legwork to figure out who everyone cut. Hopefully they will get this running by the end of the week.

Yeah, it really makes me angry that we were told this would be exactly like last year and now there are so many differences. I don't think it was a bad year to test the water with other contests at all. Like I mentioned on the NFBC boards, I really rely on stats like GS and AB to sort by. Not having them makes it much more complicated to use, imo. And why doesn't it take you to the league message board on a front page when you log in. We all communicate here, but in a main event I think it is fun to communicate/trassh talk via the laeague message board and that's not going to happen when it's so well hidden.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 11:57 am 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
Kelly_Leak wrote:
deansdaddy wrote:

How was this able to happen? I thought undrafted minor leaguers were off limits in FAAB until they reached the show?

They had announced on the boards that the timing of the FA and the beginning of the season didnt allow them time to pare the FA roster properly. They than announced that there would be some minor leaguers in the FA pool..I remember others asking about it and we were basically told that this week and this week only we were free to go crazy...

So i took the opportunity to take advantage of a situation that wouldnt be there next week. But we were told this was going to allowed for this first weeks bidding. Hence all the IKE DAVIS threads and hype on the NFBC boards...

I wouldnt have grabbed him if it wasnt announced that some minor leaguers would be available to all bidders this week....

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 12:02 pm 
Major League All-Star

Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction
deansdaddy wrote:

I find the above quote a bit funny because I actually went through and took the time to figure out who was dropped in my Sat league...I sometimes have a problem with patience!

Out of curiousity...I did notice several minor leaguers that were dropped in my league, however they do not appear under any of the Hitters/Pitchers/Rookies free agent lists. Did minor leaguers in the Rookie League get dropped? If so, do they appear in your free agents? If this is an inappropriate question (because of strategy) feel free to ignore.

Bench: AJ Reed, M.Smith, M.Boyd, J.Hahn, T.Kahnle
DL: W.Ramos, C.Cron, C.Rodon, D.Smyly

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 12:02 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
This is one thread greg announced it... there were a couple other threads that talked more in depth about this weeks Faab and minor leaguers..

http://nfbcboards.fanball.com/cgi-bin/u ... 1;t=005298

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next