A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advice on my SAT team
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 11:05 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
So I know I"m not in this league, but I've been reading the posts every day. This is my 2nd year doing a $125 Satellite and I've never done a live draft. I was just hoping some of you would give me some advice with my team. I know I'm a little short on SP and could use another "true" closer. Thoughts?

From 14th overall:

C: Kurt Suzuki (9)
C: Geovany Soto (11)
1B: Miguel Cabrera (1)
2B: Robinson Cano (4)
SS: Jimmy Rollins (2)
3B: David Freese (24)
MI: Jose Reyes (3) (44th overall, had to take him)
CI: Adam LaRoche (10)
UTIL: Vladimir Guerrero (12)
OF: Andre Ethier (6)
OF: Vernon Wells (14)
OF: Drew Stubbs (15)
OF: Conor Jackson (17)
OF: Milton Bradley (19)

Res: Brett Gardner (21), Jake Fox (26), Juan Uribe (27), Ryan Raburn (29), Randy Ruiz (30)

SP: Cole Hamels (5)
SP: Wandy Rodriguez (7)
SP: Gavin Floyd (13)
SP: Scott Kazmir (16)
SP: Kevin Correia (20)
SP: Paul Maholm (25)
RP: Andrew Bailey (8)
RP: Franklin Morales (18)
RP: Brandon Lyon (23)

Res: Erik Bedard (22), Kevin Gregg (28)

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

Post subject: Re: Advice on my SAT team
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 11:27 am 
Hall of Famer

deansdaddy wrote:
So I know I"m not in this league, but I've been reading the posts every day. This is my 2nd year doing a $125 Satellite and I've never done a live draft. I was just hoping some of you would give me some advice with my team. I know I'm a little short on SP and could use another "true" closer. Thoughts?

From 14th overall:

C: Kurt Suzuki (9)
C: Geovany Soto (11)
1B: Miguel Cabrera (1)
2B: Robinson Cano (4)
SS: Jimmy Rollins (2)
3B: David Freese (24)
MI: Jose Reyes (3) (44th overall, had to take him)
CI: Adam LaRoche (10)
UTIL: Vladimir Guerrero (12)
OF: Andre Ethier (6)
OF: Vernon Wells (14)
OF: Drew Stubbs (15)
OF: Conor Jackson (17)
OF: Milton Bradley (19)

Res: Brett Gardner (21), Jake Fox (26), Juan Uribe (27), Ryan Raburn (29), Randy Ruiz (30)

SP: Cole Hamels (5)
SP: Wandy Rodriguez (7)
SP: Gavin Floyd (13)
SP: Scott Kazmir (16)
SP: Kevin Correia (20)
SP: Paul Maholm (25)
RP: Andrew Bailey (8)
RP: Franklin Morales (18)
RP: Brandon Lyon (23)

Res: Erik Bedard (22), Kevin Gregg (28)

Okay - we've moved your question to it's own thread so you can get some other responses here.

I'm not going to really grade your draft - because this is your team - we'll talk more about what you might need to do heading into this weeks FAAB and going forward.

All of us are in the same boat coming out of the draft - we have to take stock of our team and try to identify the shortcomings and where we need to apply some fixing.

Right off the bat - we see that you need a replacment MI for Week 1 - Reyes will not play - you have Uribe on the bench and he is a good UT guy to have - but still go out and see what else is out there in your league at MI. There might be someone you like more than Uribe there - look for a MI who can provide some speed because your team is a little lite there.

You did well getting Gardner late in the draft - and quite honsetly I think you might want to start him over Bradley out of the gate - but that's me. I think Jake Fox is a good gamble especially since you have Freese at 3b. If Jake can hit his way into some playing time - you should be able to get decent production there.

So you've got Gardner/Bradley/Vlad to switch in and out of your OF/DH slots and Uribe covers a lot of positions for you. Jake Fox gives you CI/OF coverage. Then we get to Ruiz/Raburn. I understand the thinking here - but you need to get at least one more SP onto this squad. One of these guys has to go. Since you already have one DH only player here in Vald - Ruiz would be the first guy I would drop off this squad. Raburn is more versatile and at least you know that he will crush LHP. You need to go out and put together a bid list of SP you like and drop Ruiz. As for Raurn - there is a lot I like about him - but truth be told - I think you could use some speed out of another bench bat - so I would look to see what other bats slipped through. Wil Venable has swiped 9-10 bags this spring - and he is a guy you might make a play on in place of Raburn. You might see another SP you like - and I think Raburn is also expendable if there is an arm you like. I think you defintely need to get an arm in the Ruiz slot - so I would build a bid list that insured I got an arm there. With Raburn - maybe I just make a bid on a guy I want - and if you don't win that bid - you just keep Raburn.

You did real well getting Morales late - he should at the very least give you saves out of the gate and who knows when Street will pitch again (hopefully May - since I drafted him in a league). Gregg and Lyon are both good guys to stash and of the two I think Lyon is the better bet to get saves down the road. But I understand if you want to hang onto these guys for awhile.

So it's not that bad - get an SP so you can get the extra stats there. You may even want to turn that Ruiz slot into a spot that you cycle 2 start SP's in and out of from week to week. Many NFBC owners employ this technique. Kyle Kendrick is a guy you can probably get cheap going into Week 1 and he'll likely get a couple weeks of starts in place of Blanton.

As far as bids - don't go crazy UNLESS you see a player that as Todd said WILL START FOR YOU EVERYDAY.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask about guys you are considering - and to update us on what happens.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 2:58 pm 
Double-A

Ryan,
I certainly appreciate the advice and am glad to hear that it was right in line with what I was thinking. I've already made a few conditional bids with plans to drop Ruiz. Honestly, and I know this is my fault, I picked him in the 30th round realizing that I would most likely need to drop him. There just weren't in SP's out there that I knew I liked and wanted a chance to do some research before making a decision. I think I will hold onto Raburn for the time being. I'm debating on dropping Uribe, we'll see.

Is this the place to talk about specific players that I may or may not be targeting or is it better to do that via email/PM?

I'd love to get some advice on the available SP's in my league. I have an opinion on a few and tend to rely on Shandler's fantasy forecaster for value/projections. Anyway, let me know if it's kosher to start mentioning names.

Unfortunately I drafted March 31st and so the first FAAB isn't until April 11th. Currently I'll have to play Uribe at MI. I'm hoping Reyes is back for the 2nd week of the season (due to come off DL on April 11th).

Also, please feel free to grade my draft and give constructive criticism. I'm using this as a learning process.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 5:07 pm 
Hall of Famer

I would say use the Player news section here to get feedback on specific players from the Mastersball staff and users. You'll likely get more opinions and takers there.

If they are prospects - then use the prospects thread and Perry Van Hook will likely answer your questions.

If you have a question for me - you can always pm me - and I'll try to answer when I can. If you want to pm a list of guys your thinking about - I'll gladly give you my take.

When you get right down to it - it's your team - you need to make the final decisions. Others can give you some advice - but in the end you've got to do what feels right for your team.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 5:42 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
I'm not sure if any specific players should be mentioned prior to the FAAB on Sunday. After the FAAB, I'm sure many will be able to explain there bids and we can all answer questions on alternatives. No one really wants to open up totally but I also think we should not play things as close to the vest as we normally would. This is supposed to be a learning experience and the "veterans" sort of agreed to that concept. Now come July, it isn't clear how things will break out but for now, I'm willing to be fairly open on things.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 7:30 pm 
Hall of Famer

I don't disagree here Mike - that's why I suggested he put questions on specific players in the regular Forum - anyone can do this as you will get some responses from the regular MB crew. You can ask here - but I suspect you'll get much better answers if you look for that info elsewhere. I think good topics for this Forum will be advice on who to start etc - once we get past FAAB. We can also give advice on Friday switches etc.

Just to be clear- guys do talk about players on the NFBC boards as well. Some do it to drive up prices on guys they have no intention of buying. Some just want to look like they are the smart ones in the room. I am sure it drives some guys crazy - but it is part of the game if you want to play it that way. There is no rule against talking about players on the boards.I myself have a certain "Gekko" in my DP league. If I think it suits my game to talk about certain players ahead of time with him - I just might. Right now guys are talking about "late round" bargain players and I already see a few names mentioned that are in our free agent pool.

I'm going to do a little work this weekend getting us ready for some weekly content - so I am open to any suggestions of what you guys would like to see. PM me any ideas.