Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently November 25th, 2017, 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 6:22 am 
Offline
Major Leaguer

Joined: February 25th, 2010, 7:18 am
Posts: 30
UK BlueCat wrote:
Tom, I think this explains why you and I kept taking each other's guys! :D

Todd I was thinking the same thing. It was just too much of a coincidence how that kept happening on both ends.

_________________
Tom Breslin
Enfield, NH
Frost Heaves
Rookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 1:31 pm 
Offline
Major League Regular

Joined: February 26th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Posts: 77
AllstonRockCity wrote:
The Island Candidates:

C: AJ Pierzynski
C: Shoppach
1B: Morales
3B: Pablo
CI: Kouz
2B: Weeks
SS: Hanley
MI: Kelly Johnson
OF: C Lee
OF: McLouth
OF: Span
OF: C Young
OF: Ankiel
U: Schierholtz
--------------
Matt Diaz, Ryan Sweeney, Cliff Pennington, Andy LaRoche
----------------
P: Hamels
P: shields
P: Baker
P: Correia
P: Piniero
P: Maholm
P: Mike Adams
P: Capps
P: Fuentes
--------------
Kyle Lohse, Derek Holland, Takashi Saito

Already having Weeks and Shoppach on my team, after taking C Young and Ankiel (needed the counting stats) I really tried to get AVG from my reserves, hence the un-sexy Diaz, Sweeney, Schierholtz picks, hoping that between them, AJP and my 1st 4 hitters (Hanley, Pablo, Kendry, Caballo) its enough of an AVG buoy to cancel out the AVG drains.

Can't wait for the bjoak analysis.


I think some of your bench picks are, er, sexy. Schielholtz is a guy I like a lot, and, in my opinion, you'll end up playing him over Chris Young. I'd also start planning for Weeks' replacement now. Nothing wrong with putting him in your lineup to start the year, with the knowledge that his downside might get the better of him and you need to be ready with a replacement. You can usually get what you want off of waivers in April if you know exactly what you're looking for. I picked up Jesus Flores and Iannetta in April back in 2008 when I ended up short on catching so it can work out rather well when you plan ahead.

Mike Adams is a fantastic pitcher and can either end up a closer or fill in for you if you don't have a #7 pitcher on a given week. I also like Holland. To me his ERA will read 3 or 5 at the end of the season. The only way he is average is if he has a 3 ERA for April, May, and June and then a 5 for July, August, September. If he does end up good in the first three months, for either reason, you'll surely need him because I don't think Maholm or Lohse will stick and that only leaves you with 5 SP's and you also appear short in the strikeout category.

Saito, Pennington, and Laroche are all waiver bait, as will be Sweeney and Diaz if those two aren't getting regular at bats in week one. That is okay. Everyone has a lot of turnover in the first month. Just don't have misgivings when you know you have to cut them for guys with more promise.

_________________
Brian Oakchunas
Big Alameda Machine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 1:48 pm 
Offline
Major League Regular

Joined: February 26th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Posts: 77
August West wrote:
1B Pujols R1
1B Overbay R27
1B Helton R14
2B Pedroia R3
2B Kendrick R8
SS Scutaro R15
SS C Izturis R24
3B Zimmerman R2
3B Lowell R28
C Doumit R11
C Kendall R22
OF Abreu R6
OF Victorino R7
OF Kubel R12
OF Delmon Young R18
OF Gardner R20
OF Dickerson R23
U H Matsui R17
SS/OF Bloomquist R26
SP Carpenter R4
SP Dempster R8
SP Oswalt R10
SP Cueto R16
SP Hammel R19
SP Arroyo R21
SP D Davis R25
SP Bergeson R29
RP Broxton R5
RP Wood R13
RP Wuertz R30

This is my first 15 team league and the first time picking at one of the ends. I did a couple of mocks from the #1 spot to prepare. My plan in the early rounds was to draft the best player possible with an eye on scarcity hoping to land as many speed/power guys as possible. My plan was to fill the rest of my roster with value picks whenever possible. Being an HQ guy I tend to draft "skills not stats". From the mocks I suspected SP would go early and I was ready to draft a SP in the 4th round. I knew I was going to draft Broxton in the 5th round (61th pick). I wanted an elite closer and knew they would be long gone by the time the draft rolled back to me at pick 90. Reached a little for my 2nd closer and 5th starter but felt like I had to because of my slot. Otherwise I felt as though I stuck to my plan as I acquired most of my picks at or below where I had them ranked.


I do think you drafted guys at value or better. Except Carpenter--is he really a fourth rounder? Seems risky. Anyhow, I feel the team is imbalanced and now we can see why some of the other guys had batting average problems--you took it all. The nice thing about Pujols is that he covers you in that area and you can run out and grab a Carlos Pena or Adam Dunn. When you are first in the category, what is the difference if you have a .295 or .300? It is going to make you desperate for homers. The good news is that low average guys who can hit bombs ought to show up in faab so if you are savvy, you might be able to balance it out a little.

_________________
Brian Oakchunas
Big Alameda Machine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 1:58 pm 
Offline
Major League Elite
User avatar

Joined: January 24th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Posts: 781
Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
[/quote]Not to be argumentative, but how are Dunn, Huff, Olivo, and Everth different from Dunn, Stewart, Cameron, and Kouz? [/quote]

Dont worry, I appreciate the feedback..

On the surface they are not much different and I was just throwing out some names ...I guess i was just trying to say that when you own Dunn, Cameron, kouz types, they have consistent reliable track records of being .250 hitters with reliablility and at this point expecting any random luck or positive variance is probably a losing bet... As opposed to someone like Ev Cabrera that has an 82% Ct rate, lots of speed and almost a 3/1 Gb/FB rate in his first ML season...If Rajah and Nyger Morgan can both hit over .300 with essentially the same exact skill set, why couldnt Evereth?

But I essentially agree that the BA isnt going to win the league, but it has a chance to be a little more than horrible. Doesnt it? Or am I just looking at this with rose colored glasses and because I want some of those Averages to be better than projected, assume that a few of them will? Not sure really, but i guess it will take 6 months to know the answer...

_________________
There are no Losers in fantasy baseball. There is a WINNER and ........everyone else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 2:08 pm 
Offline
Major League Regular

Joined: February 26th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Posts: 77
NickPass wrote:
Just getting the opportunity to post my team now.

C- Jorge Posada (NYY)
C- Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Tex)
C- Taylor Teagarden (Tex)
1B- James Loney (LAD)
2B- Chase Utley (PHI)
2B- Aki Iwamura (PIT)
SS/2B- Asdrubal Cabrera (CLE)
3B/1B- Mark Reynolds (ARI)
3B/OF (CI)- Mark DeRosa (SF)
3B/OF- Jake Fox (OAK)
3B- David Freese (STL)
SS (MI)- JJ Hardy (MIN)
U- David Ortiz (BOS)
OF- Adam Lind (TOR)
OF- Nick Markakis (BAL)
OF- Hunter Pence (HOU)
OF- Drew Stubbs (CIN)
OF- Milton "Good Citizen" Bradley (SEA)
OF- Desmond Jennings (TB)
P- CC Sabathia (NYY)
P- Tommy Hanson (ATL)
P- Jered Weaver (LAA)
P- Mat Latos (SD)
P- Randy Wells (CHI)
P- Scott Feldman (Tex)
P- Bud Norris (HOU)
P- Chris Volstad (FLA)
P- Trevor Hoffman (MIL)
P- Leo Nunez (FLA)
P- Jon Rauch (MIN)

I was happy with my first NFBC draft. I was surprised at how quickly SP's were flying off the board. With that being said, CC/Hanson/Weaver is a nice trio. I am hoping that Latos/Wells/Norris continue to develop as SP's in their second seasons. Feldman was the ace of the Texas staff and should get some wins with that offense behind him. Volstad is a sentimental pick. My Sister-In-Law is good friends with his sister growing up in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Therefore, he's on my team every year.

If I had to do over again, I'd upgrade my 1B (not thrilled about Loney). If he's not cutting it, I'll slot Reynolds to 1B and hope that Freese/Fox can pick up the 3B slack. I am expecting a bounce back year for JJ Hardy. He's in a solid offense and should have nice RBI opportunities.

Anyway, post your thoughts when you have an opportunity and I'll do the same. Thanks guys.


Looks like you have a few guys dragging down the BA so you're going to probably need Loney. Some of the guys will just be huge drains in that category and it might be tough to make up for them. As I'm seeing there are a few owners with worse problems in that area, it might more or less work out, but Loney is a key. Solid start to the staff, but you're taking Latos' job as the 5th starter for granted. If he loses out the back end of that rotation is going to catch up with you. I think Volstad has more potential for a good year than Feldman and my sixth sense tells me you are a Rangers fan as some of your worst picks come from that team.

_________________
Brian Oakchunas
Big Alameda Machine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 2:31 pm 
Offline
Major League Regular

Joined: February 26th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Posts: 77
rotodog wrote:
Dont worry, I appreciate the feedback..

On the surface they are not much different and I was just throwing out some names ...I guess i was just trying to say that when you own Dunn, Cameron, kouz types, they have consistent reliable track records of being .250 hitters with reliablility and at this point expecting any random luck or positive variance is probably a losing bet... As opposed to someone like Ev Cabrera that has an 82% Ct rate, lots of speed and almost a 3/1 Gb/FB rate in his first ML season...If Rajah and Nyger Morgan can both hit over .300 with essentially the same exact skill set, why couldnt Evereth?

But I essentially agree that the BA isnt going to win the league, but it has a chance to be a little more than horrible. Doesnt it? Or am I just looking at this with rose colored glasses and because I want some of those Averages to be better than projected, assume that a few of them will? Not sure really, but i guess it will take 6 months to know the answer...


You make a compelling case for Everth, mostly in that I admittedly did not notice his groundball rate. That very rarely makes a difference if you account for infield flys separately, as I do, but I agree that it can make a difference for a speedster. As for Nyjer and Raj, I can assure you that I don't project them to hit .300 again, like, ever. But they do come out better than Everth. Part of that is the ballpark, for sure, which I wonder whether you consider. I have Kouz at .272 for this year. Anyway, I'll take a look at them when I get home and give you a more complete answer.

_________________
Brian Oakchunas
Big Alameda Machine


Last edited by bjoak on March 16th, 2010, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 2:32 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: January 23rd, 2009, 8:48 am
Posts: 1223
bjoak wrote:
I think some of your bench picks are, er, sexy. Schielholtz is a guy I like a lot, and, in my opinion, you'll end up playing him over Chris Young. I'd also start planning for Weeks' replacement now. Nothing wrong with putting him in your lineup to start the year, with the knowledge that his downside might get the better of him and you need to be ready with a replacement. You can usually get what you want off of waivers in April if you know exactly what you're looking for. I picked up Jesus Flores and Iannetta in April back in 2008 when I ended up short on catching so it can work out rather well when you plan ahead.

Mike Adams is a fantastic pitcher and can either end up a closer or fill in for you if you don't have a #7 pitcher on a given week. I also like Holland. To me his ERA will read 3 or 5 at the end of the season. The only way he is average is if he has a 3 ERA for April, May, and June and then a 5 for July, August, September. If he does end up good in the first three months, for either reason, you'll surely need him because I don't think Maholm or Lohse will stick and that only leaves you with 5 SP's and you also appear short in the strikeout category.

Saito, Pennington, and Laroche are all waiver bait, as will be Sweeney and Diaz if those two aren't getting regular at bats in week one. That is okay. Everyone has a lot of turnover in the first month. Just don't have misgivings when you know you have to cut them for guys with more promise.


- Planning for Weeks' replacement is why I wanted a 2B, in this case Kelly Johnson, as my MI. This will allow me to target all MI and not just 2B if Weeks does indeed go down.

- I see Maholm as young guy with lots of ML experience who has consistently posted xERA's of 4 or lower with the exception of 06, when he was 23. His K rate is just below average but he has a good K:BB ratio. Why don't you like him?

- I thought Pennington and LaRoche we're great late round grabs as they both have an everyday job.

- Agree with you on Saito, Diaz, Sweeney

Thanks for the breakdown. I can especially relate to: " Just don't have misgivings when you know you have to cut them for guys with more promise"

I think that keeping someone on my roster too long, having too much faith in them in a way, is 1 of my biggest problems.

_________________
5x5 AL Only: AllstonRockCity

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 2:46 pm 
Offline
Major Leaguer
User avatar

Joined: February 27th, 2010, 3:17 pm
Posts: 34
Location: Hoboken, NJ
I appreciate the feedback Brian. Is it safe to assume that the name Oakchunas is Lithuanian? My mother's maiden name is Balchunas, so my guess is that you are as well. As Ryan knows, playing in a league with BA is foreign to me. The league I've been in for years always uses .OBP (guys like Adam Dunn and Swisher get a nice bump because of it). We'll see what happens once we get underway.

Actually, I'm a Yankees fan. The Teagarden/Salty picks weren't intentional. I picked Salty as a 2nd C, then read afterwards that he might still not be healthy from offseason surgery (hence Teagarden shortly afterwards). As for Feldman, a guy with 17 wins is tough to pass on that late in the draft.

I disagree on Latos. The Pads are going to be brutal and they'll need to give their fans any reason to show up to the ballpark. He'll be one of them. Still, I can see him being a matchups guy initially and going Wells/Feldman/Norris to round out the rotation.

_________________
Nick Passarelli
Hoboken Generals


Last edited by NickPass on March 16th, 2010, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 2:48 pm 
Offline
Major League Regular

Joined: February 26th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Posts: 77
AllstonRockCity wrote:
bjoak wrote:
I think some of your bench picks are, er, sexy. Schielholtz is a guy I like a lot, and, in my opinion, you'll end up playing him over Chris Young. I'd also start planning for Weeks' replacement now. Nothing wrong with putting him in your lineup to start the year, with the knowledge that his downside might get the better of him and you need to be ready with a replacement. You can usually get what you want off of waivers in April if you know exactly what you're looking for. I picked up Jesus Flores and Iannetta in April back in 2008 when I ended up short on catching so it can work out rather well when you plan ahead.

Mike Adams is a fantastic pitcher and can either end up a closer or fill in for you if you don't have a #7 pitcher on a given week. I also like Holland. To me his ERA will read 3 or 5 at the end of the season. The only way he is average is if he has a 3 ERA for April, May, and June and then a 5 for July, August, September. If he does end up good in the first three months, for either reason, you'll surely need him because I don't think Maholm or Lohse will stick and that only leaves you with 5 SP's and you also appear short in the strikeout category.

Saito, Pennington, and Laroche are all waiver bait, as will be Sweeney and Diaz if those two aren't getting regular at bats in week one. That is okay. Everyone has a lot of turnover in the first month. Just don't have misgivings when you know you have to cut them for guys with more promise.


- Planning for Weeks' replacement is why I wanted a 2B, in this case Kelly Johnson, as my MI. This will allow me to target all MI and not just 2B if Weeks does indeed go down.

- I see Maholm as young guy with lots of ML experience who has consistently posted xERA's of 4 or lower with the exception of 06, when he was 23. His K rate is just below average but he has a good K:BB ratio. Why don't you like him?

- I thought Pennington and LaRoche we're great late round grabs as they both have an everyday job.

- Agree with you on Saito, Diaz, Sweeney

Thanks for the breakdown. I can especially relate to: " Just don't have misgivings when you know you have to cut them for guys with more promise"

I think that keeping someone on my roster too long, having too much faith in them in a way, is 1 of my biggest problems.


Shrewd move with Johnson. I quite like him but I filled my MI positions early so I wasn't after him. Pennington and LaRoche have jobs, but I'm not sure whether they will perform in them. I know it may seem like no one in the faab list will have a strting job, but there will be some guys who have permanent jobs and then other guys who could be a good one week rental while they fill in for someone on their team who is injured. I think Zobrist came out of faab lasy year so you can really find some good stuff.

I will look up Maholm when I get home, but remember that it isn't all ERA. His offense needs to bring the wins home and as you noted, the strikeouts aren't there, so those are already two categories where he is below average.

_________________
Brian Oakchunas
Big Alameda Machine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Post your teams
PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 2:53 pm 
Offline
Major League Elite
User avatar

Joined: January 24th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Posts: 781
Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
bjoak wrote:
rotodog wrote:
Dont worry, I appreciate the feedback..

On the surface they are not much different and I was just throwing out some names ...I guess i was just trying to say that when you own Dunn, Cameron, kouz types, they have consistent reliable track records of being .250 hitters with reliablility and at this point expecting any random luck or positive variance is probably a losing bet... As opposed to someone like Ev Cabrera that has an 82% Ct rate, lots of speed and almost a 3/1 Gb/FB rate in his first ML season...If Rajah and Nyger Morgan can both hit over .300 with essentially the same exact skill set, why couldnt Evereth?

But I essentially agree that the BA isnt going to win the league, but it has a chance to be a little more than horrible. Doesnt it? Or am I just looking at this with rose colored glasses and because I want some of those Averages to be better than projected, assume that a few of them will? Not sure really, but i guess it will take 6 months to know the answer...


You make a compelling case for Everth, mostly in that I admittedly did not notice his groundball rate. That very rarely makes a difference if you account for infield flys separately, as I do, but I agree that it can make a difference for a speedster. As for Nyjer and Raj, I can assure you that I don't project them to hit .300 again, like, ever. But they do come out better than Everth. Part of that is the ballpark, for sure, which I wonder whether you consider. I have Kouz at .272 for this year. Anyway, I'll take a look at them when I get home and give you a more complete answer.


To be honest, I am speaking off the top of my head and checking fangraphs to support my intuitions....As where you are doing some serious saber type projecting it sounds like... I am not taking into account any BB rates, Home ballpark or IF rates....Mine is just an eyeball test ...............I just know that they have very similar skill sets, all have speed and each have between an 82%-85% overall Ct rates...And all 3 look to be GB hitters...2/1 or 3/1 ...

As far as Nyger and rajah being true .300 hitters, I dont think I will disagree at all...But when both of them did put up .300+ avgs in 2009 with the same skill set that Evereth has, it opens up the possibility that it wouldnt be a huge stretch if Evereth C did hit .285- .305. I know that expecting it to happen isn't a good idea, but it just seems that it is possible if others with similar skills have done it....

But I appreciate any analysis you might have....

_________________
There are no Losers in fantasy baseball. There is a WINNER and ........everyone else.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr