A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently November 25th, 2017, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Post Draft Thoughts and Reactions
PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 5:09 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
Feel free to come back here after the draft to talk about what went right and what went wrong with your drafts.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

Post subject: Re: Post Draft Thoughts and Reactions
PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 10:59 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
I will tell you what went wrong...

I went out drinking with my wifes girlfriends last night.....Drank large amounts of Bombay Gin/Tonic...Left at 2AM, lost an hour to Daylight savings time and woke up and brought my daughter to her soccer game for 10 AM..

Why do I tell you this? Because I actually thought this draft was Wednesday night :shock: :shock: ...I wrote it down wrong on the calander!!! :shock: :shock:

I was so hung over today, i didnt turn on my computer until 5:15 PM...And then I see the Email Reminder from G Stein that the draft is tonight at 7.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had not yet prepped my excel sheet...I freaked out and started downloading, excel sorting and printing.....Didnt do a good job and many picks I just used the Force like Luke Skywalker, as I was crossing off names on the list...

I got squeezed on a few Sps at various points in the draft...

But, I had fun......And After I see the other teams, I will better be able to gauge how I did....

PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 11:02 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
I posted a long comment with my team list on the other thread.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 11:18 pm 
Hall of Famer

From what I saw during the draft, this league could be the poster child for "DRAFT THE PITCHER, NOT THE ROUND."

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 11:32 pm 
Double-A

You know i'm guilty of that. My first pick was Kemp but then i had Halladay avail and then Greinke. Conservatively i could get 400 strikeouts, 30 wins and a great WHIP and ERA. How could you turn that down?
Joe

PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 11:39 pm 
Hall of Famer

Boomer wrote:
You know i'm guilty of that. My first pick was Kemp but then i had Halladay avail and then Greinke. Conservatively i could get 400 strikeouts, 30 wins and a great WHIP and ERA. How could you turn that down?
Joe

You put yourself really behind the 8-ball when it comes to pounding up the hitting counting stats. Someone is likely to hit on their cheap pitchers and have an OVERALL staff comparable to yours and then dust you in hitting.

Though if you hit on the cheap hitting like they hit on the cheap pitching, it is you doing the dusting.

Guess we should wait until the season, eh? 8-)

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 11:59 pm 
Major League Regular

Well I had a tough time with Ken picking 2 in front of me, although we can all say that with the people drafting around us I'm sure. In my case, it started in the 5th with Josh Johnson then in the 7th with Carlos Gonzalez then continued with Valverde in the 9th and Davis in the 11th (then he gave me a break for the 13th) and Coghlan in the 15th. All the 1st option of guys I wanted. :roll:

My biggest draft debate was actually early, the choice of Choo over Cliff Lee in the 4th. At the time I felt I needed some speed after Cabrera-Mauer-Aramis Ramirez but I really debated that one and I still don't know if it was good choice as I didn't have a pitcher yet. I am curious what the experts think on that.

I ended up getting Jiminez-Nolasco 5th and 6th with all the pitching flying off the board and I think that was a panick move there, I think. I dunno.

I did enjoy being done with the Catching position after 10 rounds though, which was a 1st for me. Mauer-Montero could be fun if things work out during the season.

Jim

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 7:13 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
Copying my thoughts from my Team lineups page. Deleting it there.

Initial thoughts. It was like everyone drafted for the same cheat sheet. All the players that slipped in each and every mock draft, were take at almost the exact place the MB projections suggestion. This especially pitchers. Many had typically been drafted early or late in mock drafts. This evening they went pretty much in order.

Drafting on the end, I had a plan. You need to construct your team knowing that every optional player you were considering on each loop will be gone before it comes back to you.

My first pick was Tulowitski. My option was Crawford who went just in front. I want power from corners and often go 1B/1B my next to picks. All the solid power corners are gone by 3.14 if you do not take one at 2.2. I have seen Kendy slip several times but not today. My 2.2 pick was Adrian Gonzalez.

I start wit four hitters and then take an SP on the 5/6 turn. The 3/4 is too early when drafting from the 14 slot. Wandy was the man.

I let the 7/8 swing be determined by the closer run. By the 9/10 loop, most decent ones are gone. My 7/8 pick was bell. My other pick on that has varied based on who is there, what I need and how many SPs are gone. I took Stewart at #7 because enough SPs were there for the 9/10 loop.

The 9/10 pairing is almost always an SP and a hitter. Often it will be a catcher. I took Lilly & Napoli. My plan is to take a second closer at the 11/12 swing. I usually take a hitter as the other pick but I decided to go with Harden ans hope i get enough healthy innings. SPs went very much in order at it seemed a bit fast. In my mocks I could get Harang, Lowe and the like at 14 but not today.

About this time I try to have remaining one catcher, a corner type [normally 3B], a middle and several OF/UT. It seems every draft has bypassed talent at OF in the 13-20 rounds. Most drafters jump to the infeild slots even to the point of reaching a tier or two or more.

Things that happened bad were I took Jenks and wanted Thornton to back him up. He went immediately before i was going to take him. Boo. However, I got Fraser late in the draft. I know he should get some saves and may be the closer at Toronto - plus he could be trade bait to the Twins.

I want to see where I am in category totals but it looks like I am solid in power & average but a tad low in steals. Preliminary guess is 285 HR, 135 SBs and .280 average.

[note] I just did a check assuming Cust in for Rowand. The numbers say 266/150/.280. Power is lower than expected but steals higher. Runs/RBI are 1085/1010 which are not as good as I would like.

Pitching numbers are not easy to estimate since you may go 6SP/3Cl one week and the next have picked up a 2-start pitcher to boost those totals. Like Todd says, you bully hitting and manage pitching. About my only young flier was James McDonald. I read he may get that 5ht spot but if not, he will be starting at some point in the season.

Biggest upside could be Beltran who lasted forever. I even checked Rotoworld to make sure there wasn't an article about him missing 3 months or more.

Longer than I thought I would write.

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 7:25 am 
Hall of Famer

viper wrote:
I want to see where I am in category totals but it looks like I am solid in power & average but a tad low in steals. Preliminary guess is 285 HR, 135 SBs and .280 average.

[note] I just did a check assuming Cust in for Rowand. The numbers say 266/150/.280. Power is lower than expected but steals higher. Runs/RBI are 1085/1010 which are not as good as I would like.

Is it safe to assume that you will be posting the projected standings for the league?? Is it also safe to assume you'll use both MB and BBHQ?? I'm sure we're all dying to know where we stand. I mean after all, it is an instructional league ;)

If not, no biggy.

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 7:38 am 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
I will agree wih everyone here..Pitching went early at every stage...

The Top pitching went early. The Mid tier pitching went early and in bunches.

The Upside pitching that is suppused to go late, went earlier than expected..

Throughout the entire draft, I was behind the 8 ball by 5 picks every time, but every time I got squeezed, I figured it opened up opportunity else where..

As far as reaching goes, i know I reached on a few players in the draft... I reached at pick 1:7 with David Wright ...I handicapped the first 6 picks as Pujols, Hanley, Braun, Arod, Utley and Kemp.... If anyone of those fell to me at 7, I was taking....But they went as planned so I decided not to grab one of the 4 Top 1b and instead took Wright.

1. My reasons were that 3b is thin at the top
2. I wanted a HR/Sb combo and it comes with BA at the same time
3. I figured I could get 40 HR from my 1b later
4. I figured it might throw a wrench in the guys drafting from the 13, 14 15 hole as they were each probably contemplating all the combos on the turn with D Wright...

It Worked out for me as I got Wright, B Phillips and Werth 1, 2,3.... 75 HR 70 Sbs and 2 Infield postions filled at the top...
When Jeter landed in my lap in rd 4, I couldnt pass up the chance to grab the last SS near the top to round out the Infield and to add more Sbs at the same time...
Once I did that, I knew I could grab a 1b Masher and a couple Power/Sb combos in the OF later and simply add 1 more SB MI/OF threat to get the Sbs I needed... And With Dunn, RIos and Evereth Cabrera picks later, I essentially did that..

I reached on Ev Cabrera and Rios in some peoples eyes I think......But Speed was going fast and in bunches....And My team needed that one 30 Sb threat to tie the whole thing together....And I wanted that to come from MI if possible...So Ev cabrera was it in the 10th....

All in all, I did better than I thought I might especially considering I was hung over and ill prepared....But It All hinges on Being able to manage the Pitching and trolling the WW for pitching upgrades throughout...Its not like the SP Staff has no upside In Javier Vazquez, Billingsley, Ervin Sanatana retuning to form High K/9 Mark Rczep, and others....I have 3 closers and a speculative saves vulture in B league....

So, Lets play this sucker out!!! Good luck all..