Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently July 27th, 2017, 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Post Draft Thoughts and Reactions
PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 2:18 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
Ryan,

A couple things...

1. Thanks for the available players excel sheet...Some tasty stuff left on the wire..

2. You mentioned discussing FAAB in a thread in that email you sent.
1.What type of things do you anticipate talking about? I presume it is taboo to mention certain players etc....I think I remember you posting a situation where you mentioned a player in forum once and got the evil eye from about 300 forum mongers.... Is it safe to say we shouldnt be mentioning players specifically by name?

A lot of us are rookies in this format...a few arent. I am more interested in what experienced owners have seen in the past as far as FAAB bidding early on...I know it varies by wide margins depending on league and needs, but is anyone going to be candid about certain things? I realize we are all competing against each other and I wouldnt expect someone to give away anything that would compromise their own bids.

Thanks

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 2:25 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: NFBC DC plus two 2-category weekly MLB leagues
In a thread BEFORE the first FAAB, I agree that mentioning specific players is wrong. However, I'm guessing anyone who has gone through the process can help at what to look and how. Of course, everyone is new on the Fanball software for FAAB, including Fanball

Mike Ladd
Vienna Vipers

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 2:29 pm 
Hall of Famer

FAAB --

1. The season will not be won or lost based on the first week of FAAB. If you have an opening, put in a TON of bids on the cheap to make sure you get someone useful to fill the spot while letting others set some precedent with respect to what it will take to get someone.

2. UNLESS there is a make or break type player available. Then go after him HARD. Hard being a few hundred (300-500). BUT ONLY IF THIS IS A GUY YOU WILL START EVERY WEEK.

3. If a player was picked during your original draft, he remains in your pool regardless if he is in the majors. So look at the previous week's drops for a guy in the minors someone else dropped. If you like him and can afford the reserve spot, get him. The reason this is important is you will find yourself sorting by AB or IP to see who is available and the dropped minor leaguers will not appear as they have no playing time.

4. If you have the extra reserve spot and think someone will be useful, it is better to be a week or two too early and end up dropping a player if he does not work out than thinking the player will be helpful, being right and then battling everyone else for the bid the week he is going to play.

5. Don't just replace injured or under-producing guys in your ACTIVE roster. Also look to replace guy in your reserve with better free agents. Early on is when the crop is most plush. If you wait until you HAVE TO replace someone, the quality of the available players is not as useful.

6. Don't break the bank on a closer

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 3:06 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
rotodog wrote:
Ryan,

A couple things...

1. Thanks for the available players excel sheet...Some tasty stuff left on the wire..

2. You mentioned discussing FAAB in a thread in that email you sent.
1.What type of things do you anticipate talking about? I presume it is taboo to mention certain players etc....I think I remember you posting a situation where you mentioned a player in forum once and got the evil eye from about 300 forum mongers.... Is it safe to say we shouldnt be mentioning players specifically by name?

A lot of us are rookies in this format...a few arent. I am more interested in what experienced owners have seen in the past as far as FAAB bidding early on...I know it varies by wide margins depending on league and needs, but is anyone going to be candid about certain things? I realize we are all competing against each other and I wouldnt expect someone to give away anything that would compromise their own bids.

Thanks

The initial dicussions on FAAB in my mind will deal more with the concept of managing your resources throughout the season. I have some past data from my own past leagues I want to crunch to share with you guys- I just haven't had time to get to it this weekend. I will give you a little snapshot of my own FAAB activity from my ME league last year - a team that finished in the money (3rd). We'll also talk about how to get a read on the bidding tendancy in your league. Bidding differs from league to league as do team needs - so you could go after a player in multiple leagues with very differing bid approaches. We will talk about this stuff more than talking about any specific players.

That said if anyone wants to talk about a player you can always PM me or anyone of the other owenrs - of course you will be letting us know who you are targeting that way. Judging by how all of you drafted - I am pretty confident you can all grasp the FAAB element pretty quickly and will come to enjoy the excitement that is generated on Sunday by NOT knowing what everyone else is going to do.

As for talking about players - look that is a big part of the reason we are here on these boards instead of on the NFBC boards exclusively. Since we are not a main event league - I didn't want you guys to be in a position where we would get heat from Main Event owners if/when we do talk about a specific player. My take is if you want to talk about a player you can do it by all means - just don't necessarily expect the other owners to always want to talk about a player/players back to you. Look some guys talk about players just to drive their price up - even if they have no intention of bidding on them. This is frowned upon - but not illegal and is done all the time. (That's what I got accused of as a rookie when I asked a question about Max Scherzer).

Everyone also has the regular Player news forum that they could ask for advise in. I still think a bigger point of discussion for us will be AFTER Faab is processed - when we can talk about how the bidding went for us.

But I haven't really followed up with Perry or JP about what this site plans to do regarding FAAB discussion - if they do some pre-FAAB related stuff - then that will be something that we can all get involved with here on the boards.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 3:16 pm 
Hall of Famer

deansdaddy wrote:

But I haven't really followed up with Perry or JP about what this site plans to do regarding FAAB discussion - if they do some pre-FAAB related stuff - then that will be something that we can all get involved with here on the boards.

Perry will be once again providing "The Shopping Cart" where he reviews likely pickups from the common league sizes, based on actual free agent pools from leagues of that size. This will be posted every Friday throughout the season.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 7:33 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: Auction Only Leagues. 4x4,5x5
FYI...

Forums at NFBC are buzzing about the insane pitching runs and screwy ADPs..Actually, it was gekko....

They could have saved themselves a lot of mental anguish if they had read some of the posts here. They might have planned for pitching runs when the money is one the line....

I did post that it was discussed here all week....So anyone drafting next week could be flooding MBall in the next couple days .... :D

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 7:38 pm 
Hall of Famer

While you can plan for pitching going a round or two earlier in a global sense, it is impossible to plan for 13 of 15 picks being pitchers.

That said, they were also complaining about the pace of the draft which we also talked about in a different thread.

The rule is the clock does not start until the sticker facilitator completely attaches the sticker to the board. I have seen some stopwatch facilitators start the clock as soon as the previous name is announced. And I know FOR A FACT the facilitators are specifically told to wait until the name is posted. It is incumbent upon those drafting to make sure the facilitators adhere to this rule. If they don't, shame on them.

EDIT - Looks like the facilitators did it properly, it was just a bunch of owners being ready -- MY KIND OF DRAFT!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6