Newbie Commish - League settings?

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
Pavlos

Newbie Commish - League settings?

#1 Post by Pavlos »

I'm starting a Yahoo league as commish . I came up with the league settings and I want it balanced and fair but still competitive. Could you please offer suggestions if I should consider any changes to my settings and overall rules listed below:

Thank you.

Roster Positions:
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batters Stat Categories:
Runs (R), Hits (H), Singles (1B), Doubles (2B), Triples (3B), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Assists (A), Fielding Percentage (FPCT), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Hitting for the Cycle (CYC), Outfield Assists (OFA)

Pitchers Stat Categories:
Wins (W), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Earned Runs (ER), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9)

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Player Universe: All baseball
New Players Become Available: As soon as Yahoo adds them View List of Forced Players
Max Acquisitions for Entire Season: No maximum
Max Trades for Entire Season No maximum
Trade End Date: August 19, 2018
Allow Draft Pick Trades: No
Waiver Time: 2 days
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Waiver Mode: Standard
Allow injured players from waivers or free agents to be added directly to IR: Yes
Can't Cut List Provider: None
Trade Review: Commissioner
Trade Reject Time: 2 days
Post Draft Players: Free Agents
Max Acquisitions per Week: 4
Min Innings Pitched: 14
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Playoffs: Week 22, 23 and 24 (6 teams) Note: Week 24 runs 7 days from Sep 17 to Sep 23
Playoff Tie-Breaker: Higher seed wins
Playoff Reseeding: Yes
Lock Eliminated Teams: Yes
Divisions: Yes (2 divisions)
Playoff Seeding Options: All teams seeded according to overall standings
Make League Publicly Viewable: No
Invite Permissions: Commissioner Only
Send unjoined players email reminders: Yes

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Newbie Commish - League settings?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Not a fan of cycles and assists, but the best categories are the ones your league has fun playing with.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Pavlos

#3 Post by Pavlos »

Thanks,Todd. The guys say whatever I come up with. I think I may have too many stats? Lik TB,1B,2,3B, CG,SHO,K/BB,H, etc.

Since the guys say they will play how I set up league, how would you modify it?

Also I read about shutouts and complete games as a cat stat...but now I see they mean the same? Maybe most leagues dont use these stats?

A shutout (denoted statistically as ShO or SHO), also known as a complete-game shutout, refers to the act by which a single pitcher pitches a complete game and does not allow the opposing team to score a run.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Freaky things like complete games, grand slams, cycles, no hitters, etc are terrible. You don't want someone winning by a stat that's not predictable.

I'd do something like

1 point for each total base
1 point for a walk
1 points for a run
1 points for an RBI
2 points for a steal

You can add negative for caught stealing or for strikeouts, something like that

5 points win
5 points save
.5 points per out
1 point per strikeout
-1 per earned run
-1 per hit
-1 per walk

something like that

I'd run the numbers and adjust so trout scores a few more points than Kershaw, but this would be the base.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Pavlos

#5 Post by Pavlos »

I realized too many cats and did some changes just before your response. I can still adjust if you suggest.

In addition - I had set it up as a:

H2H mixed points, 10 or 12 teams daily moves. non-keeper - 1 point per category won overall each week.
W-L-T. I dont think this straight roto points like you suggested?

Runs (R), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS), Saves + Holds (SV+H)

But for pitching I was gonna keep K/BB over QS. Also I found they have combine stat for Dave and Holds. So I dropped both and added Saves + Holds (SV+H)

Im not sure about QS and guys may not be familiar how to use it to draft.

Knowing this, what else different would you now suggest?

Also any change to the roster positions:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Thank you!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

I'd keep it simple the first year then let the league suggest changes. If it's roto style, the fewer categories the better. I'm not sure I wouldn't just use the standard 5x5. It helps draft prep since that's what most advice is geared towards.

Pavlos

#7 Post by Pavlos »

Sounds good. What about roster positions?