Best Site for a Custom Keeper League

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
jtomevi

Best Site for a Custom Keeper League

#1 Post by jtomevi »

Trying to transition a league I run to a basic keeper league. We have played on ESPN the past few years, but it looks like they may have very limited keeper settings.

Looking for input on the best site to switch to so we can have the following settings:

-12 Teams
-Standard 5x5 Roto
-30 Man Rosters
-Up to 5 Keepers (will cost owner draft pick in the round they player was drafted previously minus one - i.e. 14th Round Pick in 2015 will cost 13th Round to keep in 2016)
-Can only keep a player a maximum of three seasons

Can anyone help me out? If there isn't a site that is great for this format, how do others play this way?

Thanks in advance.

Trav The Ump

Re: Best Site for a Custom Keeper League

#2 Post by Trav The Ump »

We use CBS, allows custom contract and year entries. They do have a keeper tool however we just have the commish go through and do the rosters one week before the draft for that. Very customizable and the one thing that I like (as commish) is they respond to emails and queries very quickly. I've even gotten a few things added in over the years that I wanted to see. Cons, not cheap like ESPN.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

May I inquire if cost is a factor? When I see ESPN, first thing that usually pops into my mind is "freebie". We use CBS - but it's $189 per league. If cost is a factor, might I suggest OnRoto.com? We worked with them for quite some time, but had to change three years ago because their roto engine wasn't quite up to snuff .... but it is now ...and it's cheaper than CBS.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Love OnRoto. if you don't need a ton of bells and whistles then they're my favorite. They have all the features and you can customize, just not the glitz and bling.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

jtomevi

#5 Post by jtomevi »

We handle the payments and payouts via LeagueSafe, so we would prefer to set up a free league and not give any rake to the host site.

I love the live scoring ESPN offers and it is easy to make add/drops from a mobile device when traveling. Yahoo is very similar, but haven't played CBS in awhile. Does OnRoto offer this?

The other idea I have is to set-up the league on ESPN, and hold the draft through another service (need to hold online draft due to geography) and manually import the rosters to begin the season. Is there a good site that will host an online draft that I could customize each year based on which players each owner keeps?

Thoughts?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Better if I just give you the link and let you see what they have to offer. To be honest, I can't think of any pay service that would allow you to have a freebie draft without making use of their pay management services.

http://onroto.com/baseball/webnew/displ ... pl?yarfnew
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

jtomevi wrote:
The other idea I have is to set-up the league on ESPN, and hold the draft through another service (need to hold online draft due to geography) and manually import the rosters to begin the season. Is there a good site that will host an online draft that I could customize each year based on which players each owner keeps?

Thoughts?
I need to do this for two high stakes leagues that I administer. I've been told that Yahoo can handle it (haven't confirmed) as well as setting up a trial league on CBS then not using them to run it.

Actually, I need to check OnRoto too. The ONLY issue I have is their on-line draft room. Hopefully Scott and company have it working.

My default method -- and this actually works just fine -- is to set up a Google Doc, put the keepers in the proper rounds, give everyone editing access and everybody adds their pick. There's a chat room on the document for banter.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord