Replacing bowing out owners...

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
Trav The Ump

Replacing bowing out owners...

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

So I'm the commish of my AL only league and about a month ago we had an owner bow out that had joined us last year, no big deal it happens and he wasn't enamored with how it went for him. In our constitution it says any team that leaves is disbanded and a new owner starts from scratch. However as this was a new team, had no extended contracts, we as the league decided to offer it to a new owner as is. This included the #1 overall minors pick this year (Tanaka/ Abreu most likely) and his current roster. Nothing special but still better than starting from scratch. We found an owner and on we went. This week I posted our draft details and location and another long time owner emailed me and said he was also going to step away this year.

Now I have another spot to fill, however this team has Trout at $25 in year 4 of 7 along with Cabrera and a cheap David Price. I'm not sure how we go about enticing a new owner into the league knowing that this team could realistically if managed correctly probably money and/ or have a good shot at winning while not completely pissing off our other new guy, along with the one other new owner we added last year who also was forced to start from scratch?

Do we disband this team and send Trout, Cabrera, Price back into the auction? Do we allow a new owner to take over the team less any extended contracts? Or do we just allow a new owner that team?

Your thoughts and comments would be very much appreciated.

AllstonRockCity

Re: Replacing bowing out owners...

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

You opened a can of worms with letting the last owner inherit the out going team. If that precedent hadn't been set, you probably wouldn't even need to post this question. You would probably just be able to do what you've always done.

But that's neither here nor there. The issue now is what to do.

I would go by what the constitution says. I would also offer the opening at half price. Since the new owner will be behind the 8-ball, it seems a fair way to entice someone to join. The pot will be 5% less than it usually is, no big deal. Much less of a big deal than having to change everything should the vacancy remain vacant.

I would also explain to whoever the new guy is that there were extenuating circumstances surrounding the previous vacancy and that the league took a special vote. You will need to be transparent or risk having another owner tell the newest guy about it and you having egg on your face.

:D

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Yeah Trav ... I pretty much agree with what AllstonRockCity wrote .... but before going with that Idea 100%, I have a few questions;
  • The new owner that dropped out - what was the understanding about his roster when he joined?
  • What was the impetus for allowing the newest owner to pick up the one year wonder's team as is and not start from scratch?
I would hope that the answers to those points are consistent - because if they are not, there is where your problem lies, not with this most recent retirement. i see one guy forced to pick his rosters from scratch, but his successor is allowed to pick up that team as is (I will also assume that "as is" means all of the contracts aged for this upcoming season). I think it will be easier to make the decision once the reasoning behind these two decisions are known.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Trav The Ump

#4 Post by Trav The Ump »

Well the issue was really timing. Our first owner who dropped out was a long time owner's brother. He joined I think half heartedly to begin with and as such ran the team poorly. Last place finish and not a great roster going forward. So when he dropped out I figured to get us back to 12 owners and being that we added the two new owners (one of which being the guy who quit) the year before, both of who started from scratch as we went from 10 to 12 teams it made it easier to entice a replacement owner by allowing that team to be taken over directly. This was done as a league vote and passed unanimously, not a commissioner's decree. Lol.

Now almost a month later this long time owner pipes up and says he's going out.

Assuming we find a replacement owner, how do I make it fair for our two new managers?

Kid, the new guy who dropped out came in clean and would've continued his team normally. No expectations given or perceived. The reason to allow the first team to be taken over was that I didn't think I'd need two this year. Had I known that at the same time we could have done a draft or something of that sort.

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

A way to prevent teams from dropping out last minute is to have them pony up the year before. That's how I run my football league. A good example for a baseball league would be to have owners pay up by the ASB of 2014 for the 2015 season. Just a thought.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

In the immortal quote from Animal House ; "Face it....you fucked up...you trusted me."

Ok...you need a compromise position ...here's one suggestion;
  • Each new owner gets to keep ONE player from his current roster ...the rest? Back in the pool (hey, if it's Trout, it's Trout)
  • The rest of your owners submit a freeze list of 8-10 players to you that are untouchable. You determine the number.
  • Once that is done, each of the two new owners go back and forth picking one unprotected player from the rosters of the rest of the league until they choose to retire from the process or they have reached the limit for maximum number of keepers.
  • Once an existing franchise loses a player, they are allowed to pull one back and add him to their respective freeze list.
  • The maximum number of players any one team can lose is two.
  • The teams involved in the expansion picks can NOT trade ANY player selected in this draft until AFTER the auction.
Not perfect, but it levels the field a bit.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Sorry - in a rush, may have missed this being suggested or if it is even an option but...

combine the keepers from the two orphaned teams and have a dispersal draft with the new guys

this is how I feel it should always be done once you get commitments for the upcoming season.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord