Dump trade question

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
olegopher
Low-A

Dump trade question

#1 Post by olegopher »

We have a 16 team keeper league where we can sign players for up to 5 years. Once the contract is up, that player goes back into the auction pool. When a team decides they are far enough out of it and decide to sell, they trade their expiring contracts, that is all expected. The issue we are running into is what is a fair trade. Recently two top ten players (expiring contracts) were traded for a keeper spot and a signable $1 player. The consent is, that was not nearly enough and when your in the race for the title and a dump trade like this happens, some hard feelings arise. Dump trades will happen, but how do we curb them? We have 10 keeper spots, does lowering that number to 5-7 help change things. Any other experiences with this?

Thank you for your time

Captain Hook

Re: Dump trade question

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well every league is different in what ultimately passes the "smell" test

I have never heard of "keeper spots" being traded but in fairness both of the keeper leagues I belong to which are now close to Thirty years old - one AL and one NL - don't have minimum or maximum number of keepers required. BUT I think that may be part of the problem.

When you say sign a guy to a five year contract, is there no salary associated with that? Is it just "have him for five years"?
That doesn't seem to put stratify the salary of long term contracts/players - there is no difference between a five year Miguel Cabrera and a five year Adam Jones and there should be a tremendous (almost double the dollar amount in auction leagues) difference.

How do you acquire the players?

And do you have a minimum number of keepers?

How old is the league? I am wondering if this is a new problem or a new league?

olegopher
Low-A

#3 Post by olegopher »

It is an auction league and you can sign the player for up to 5 years, for an additional $5 a year on top of the salary. Example is Glen Perkins goes for $20, I can keep him next year for $20 or sign him long term. A 5 year contract would be $45 per year. There is no minimum amount of keepers, everyone is allotted 10 spots and can trade for 2, so max amount of keepers you get is 12. I've been in the league for 13 years or so, the league has been around for 20 yrs give or take.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

I don't think that extra keeper spots have enough value

Does your league have a minor league draft?
If it was a $1 player and a 1st round draft pick for next year that would have a LOT more value than an extra keeper spot

olegopher
Low-A

#5 Post by olegopher »

We do not have a minor league roster, it is a topic that has been kicked around and will be discussed at our end of the year meeting.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Bottom line for all keeper leagues is to have concrete trade rules and understandings that ALL teams in the league agree to.
There will always be some metamorphisis of the "coin of the realm" and which trades are acceptable and which are not.

It seems to me as an outsider that two "Top Ten" players for a $1 player and a keeper slot is very questionable BUT of course that depends on who the $1 players is - we had a trade in my AL keeper league where it looked on surface to be a player "light" but the one key player that the "rebuilding" team got for three ML players was Manny Machado so that weighed heavily on people viewing the trade as "acceptable" so a lot depends on who your $1 players is/was