Vickrey Systems for FAAB

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Vickrey Systems for FAAB

#11 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:
AllstonRockCity wrote:I like the vickery system more than the traditional system, but it doesn't work with a large amount of faab (100 to 150, max) as that removes all risk and skill from the equation.
Kid, I see your point, but Todd nailed it, all it takes is 1 of your leaguemates to share that opinion and then you're down to $4 to last the season and its only April. And you can probably kiss the season goodbye.
The other great gamesmanship aspect of vickery is price enforcing. For example, 2 weeks ago Oswalt was available in my al only. Now, I had no desire at all to roster him but I still bid 19 (out of 140) to ensure that whoever did get him would be hamstrung by a 20+ salary. To me, the price enforcing aspect alone makes vickery much more fun and enjoyable than the traditional system.
I can see how that would work in certain leagues that allow FAAB acquired players to be kept ...however, in our leagues, all you are spending is money and available bidding units - no price enforcement here. Thanks for the insight.
So you don't have an in-season salary cap?? The part about hamstringing someone with a 20+ salary was speaking more to in-season cap management than keeping the guy. We can keep FAAB'd guys in our league, so that is a factor, but the in-season cap is a much bigger one.
Nope ...no in season cap ...old rules on dump trades - you get one dump trade per team with a delta of +1 for players in final year or 25 or more units - after that? Gotta give one to get one.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote: Nope ...no in season cap ...old rules on dump trades - you get one dump trade per team with a delta of +1 for players in final year or 25 or more units - after that? Gotta give one to get one.
The asterisk rule -- LOVE IT!!
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote: Nope ...no in season cap ...old rules on dump trades - you get one dump trade per team with a delta of +1 for players in final year or 25 or more units - after that? Gotta give one to get one.
The asterisk rule -- LOVE IT!!
***** Tis why the 1 unit catcher in his final year is like gold. Hiya , Dave Ross.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams