What Should our FAAB budget be?

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

What Should our FAAB budget be?

#1 Post by shif6 »

Our typically 10 team AL (standard roster and auction budget) and NL (25 man roster; $280 auction budget) keeper leagues at Mocksports.com (there are no mixed leagues) are thinking of shifting to a limited FAAB process. Immediately after the auction, owners can pick up players while reserving injured players or minor leaguers on a first come served basis for $6 which will not be counted against the FAAB budget. All undrafted players on the relevant MLB rosters can be picked up for a $1 if a thereafter on a first come first served basis if a player is waived or can be reserved because of a d.l. stint or they have been sent down or if a player is waived. These transactions will not be counted against the FAAB budget.
The leagues are considering using FAAB for players who are called up to the majors or who are traded for one league to another or who are waived by a league owner. Their salary would be the FAAB price in the case of callups or trades into the new leagues and the higher of their original salary the winning FAAB price in the case of waived players. If players are not bid upon in the 48 hour FAAB period, they will become eligible to be claimed for a $1 and the claim will not be counted against the FAAB budget.
The current proposal for a FAAB budget is $100. Some have argued against the size of the budget on the ground that it will lead to fewer keepers and create longer auctions. Under our current system (too complicated to explain), most prospects called up are claimed for a $1 and star players traded from the other league go for $15; others go for $1. Although $100 is used in most leagues, the argument goes, in those leagues are using FAAB for all transactions. In addition, our leagues increase salaries by $4 every year (already limiting keepers) as opposed to the contract system used in most leagues.
I doubt that changing any part of the proposed FAAB structure other than the budget is an option. So what do you think we should do if you don't fight the hypo. What should our FAAB budget be?
Thanks

Captain Hook

Re: What Should our FAAB budget be?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well first, I feel very strongly that in keeper leagues, a player traded from the other league should NOT be able to be kept for the following season or traded after obtained in the current season.

Secondly it is a mistake to use the FAAB price as the retention price for the following year - it subverts the auction values which should be the most important.

With your league size and auction budget, the FAAB allowance of $100 is correct.....BUT
1) the retention salary of ANY free agent obtained after the draft should be $10
2) getting X number of "reserves" after the auction is fine (our league gets three) but their salary should be $10 just like any free agent even though there is no FAAB bid for them
3) ALL other free agents from your league pool should be obtained by FAAB - again salary should be $10 for the following year (IF you have an in season salary cap you can count them $5 versus the cap during the year)

Crossover free agents who will be X12 players should have a graded cap salary - don't have it with me right now but will add it for you later.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Here are the cap hits we use for Crossover players

3) Crossover Players
Players traded from the NL are eligible to be acquired as Free Agents (10X00), the X representing the fact that they may not be retained in the next season. Their salary against the cap will be based on their bid amount:
a. FA Bids $1-5 $5 (like normal Free Agents)
b. FA Bids 6-19 $X (the bid amount)
c. FA Bids $20+ $20 against the cap

shif6
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by shif6 »

Captain
I asked you not to fight the hypo and accept the rules as given. You say that $100 is "correct" but you do not say why. The arguments against the $100 budget are that in leagues that use it, the budget applies to all acquired players and most do no tack $4 on to every player for the next year. The worry is that keepers will decline and that auctions will be longer.
These leagues have to keep 7 players and can keep 15.
Your views on players traded into the league and the like do not respond to the question. I would like to hear more about why $100 is correct in these circumstances.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

shif6 wrote:Captain
I asked you not to fight the hypo and accept the rules as given. You say that $100 is "correct" but you do not say why. The arguments against the $100 budget are that in leagues that use it, the budget applies to all acquired players and most do no tack $4 on to every player for the next year. The worry is that keepers will decline and that auctions will be longer.
These leagues have to keep 7 players and can keep 15.
Your views on players traded into the league and the like do not respond to the question. I would like to hear more about why $100 is correct in these circumstances.
Sorry I didn't realize you didn't want information or opinions.

I still think $100 is fine and I have no idea why anyone would say that would mean fewer keepers - it means teams who are rebuilding can pick up a lot of players who are called up during the year and that teams who are competing can battle for any players traded into the league and still have money for other bids.

What is the alternative if you don't use $100 which is standard for many leagues (actually these days far more leagues use $1000 but those are redraft leagues)

shif6
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by shif6 »

$100 is standard in leagues that use it for all acquired players and that do not have $4 increases for all players the next year. Suppose the budget were $50 instead of $100. That would mean players would be acquired for less money because of fewer dollars in the FAAB pool which would mean more keepers. But $50 might be too limited, and I do not have a good handle on how to draw a line. I do not know what the budget should be, but I do not think that the standard amount in leagues that may not be comparable is persuasive evidence of what the amount should be in these leagues.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

I don't know what you want me to say shif - nobody I know has ever played in such a league, so there is no anecdotal information. ANY amount should work fine - if not your league can adjust it next year. I still think there is no reason not to use $100 and having the extra money gives teams more flexibility in their bidding - not all the players added during the season will even be considered as keepers a year from now.