Minor League keeper rules

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
Bryan0316

Minor League keeper rules

#1 Post by Bryan0316 »

Need some help. I've got a great competitive league and looking to add a minor league keeper. We currently keep 5 guys per year, for a max of 2 years. The draft position for the keeper is based off were said player was drafted. During the season we have 1 minor league spot. I'd like the minor league keeper to be strictly minor league, but not sure how to proceed with draft position and players. any help or ideas would be great.

AllstonRockCity

Re: Minor League keeper rules

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

How do teams in your league acquire this minor league player in the first place? Is there a draft? I have an idea but need the answer to this 1st.

Then there are parts I have ideas for beyond the the first one.

Your league will need to vote to determine when a the minor league keeper loses his rookie status and must be activated. It should be based off of 1 of 2 things. Either that players call up to the majors or once they've lost their 'official rookie status' (>50IP or >130 ABs). Once your league has chosen from these 2 options then you should vote on whether or not there is a grace period (eg. 2 transaction periods after callup/statuslost or the year after callup/statuslost).

The last thing your league will need to vote on is what round value to assign to the minor league keeper once he is activated. Give them options 10th, 15th, 20th then take the aggregate.

Bryan0316

#3 Post by Bryan0316 »

yea the minor leaguer would be acquired during the draft process I would assume. Its always possible for to add during FA. OUr current free agent round is 18th, we draft 29 rds. I want the guy to be specifically minor, and when he is called up he will have to activated to regular roster.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Bryan0316 wrote:yea the minor leaguer would be acquired during the draft process I would assume. Its always possible for to add during FA. OUr current free agent round is 18th, we draft 29 rds. I want the guy to be specifically minor, and when he is called up he will have to activated to regular roster.
We have been doing AL and NL only Ultras for close to 25 years with 17 man reserve rosters. Our rule is this ...if he makes a ML roster prior to September 1 roster expansions, he's no longer a minor leaguer. However - you may want to re-think your last line. Many times a player will be called up for a cup of coffee only to be sent down again within days. I realize circumstances are part of our game, but I'd scream like hell if my prize minor leaguer was called up August 30 and demoted September 1 so he could qualify for post season play and I'd have to potentially lose an active player just to accommodate this type of move.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Bryan0316

#5 Post by Bryan0316 »

So how should I go about it. He is a rookie unless.... He can take up a minor league spot until when?? I want to try to add another dimension to my keepers.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Bryan0316 wrote:So how should I go about it. He is a rookie unless.... He can take up a minor league spot until when?? I want to try to add another dimension to my keepers.
Big difference between a rookie and a minor leaguer. Don't hamstring yourself. Call it a reserve roster that may also include minor leaguers. IF he gets promoted, his promotion to one of your active rosters is the same as any other player on your reserves ...at the discretion of his owner. Now - if he makes the Opening Day roster the FOLLOWING year - you have to find room for him on your 23 man. if he doesn't , he's still reserved - but - we age his contract regardless of his actual status (majors vs. minors). in your case, it may be his draft slot or the length of time you get to keep him.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

#7 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Since there is a draft the 1st rule needs to define the size of the reserve roster, in this case it should be 2 (1 for the minor leage player, 1 for next years draft pick). This will cap dump trading for minors/picks. So a team may have 2 players or 2 picks or 1 of each on their reserve roster but never more than 2 of anything.

As far as your other question goes you 1st need to define what will force them to be activated (see my 1st post) then what the grace period will be, if any (again my 1st post).

Hope this helps